Towing Capabilities

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
Looking at purchasing a light weight pop-up camper for road trips and general touring. Wife and I are approcahing retirement and hope to travel a bit more than we have been in the past. Tent-campers all of our life, but looking for a wee bit more comfort than tent-camping offers at this stage.

Current designated tow vehicle is a 2003 TDI wagon w/01m transmission. (no need to point its deficiencies, I'm well aware). Wondering if there is an aftermarket or OEM transmission cooler available for this model. Also, wondering what others are towing (i've seen the thread "show what you tow"). Or, is this just a bad idea?

Could I get away with a 2000 lb payload; trailer, 2 dogs, 2 people and gear if I install a transmission cooler and decent hitch?

What would be my maximum payload I could expect to tow with the 01M?

Also considering a 5spd manual transmission swap. What 5th gear would you go with? Would I need a transmission cooler? What would be the top payload I could expect to get away with?

Any input would be greatfully appreciated. (No cracks about the 01M, please).

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Not cracking a joke about the 01M. If you are going to tow expect to replace the tranny. No matter the brand of car anything with a slush box will fail sooner then a manual. Other then that I don't know much about that tranny other then to stay away. With the 5 speed I wouldn't upgrade the gearing or if you do not too much as you live in a state with more hills you won't want to be in 4th gear as much with a lot of load. Other then that 2000 lb trailer and the load you have the car can handle it if you can safely handle it.

One other thing-the manual you can use the engine to help you stay at a certain speed going down a mountain. I rarely use the breaks even when I lived in WY. The newer auto trannys with the paddle shift - they can help you hold in gear as well but the old auto's don't so you will wear breaks faster and on a long mountain that can have bad results with a heavier load. I don't know of a 5 spd tranny cooler but it really isn't needed. Not know your past and how much you have towwed I would say the car has more ability then most drivers have. Everything is about being safe. Knowing how your load reacts and what to do with certain conditions and what just plainly not to do at all.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I wouldn't suggest towing 2000 pounds even with a 5 speed, I know other have, but it's just hard not only on the transaxle, but EGTs are hard on the pistons and Turbo.

When the trailer weight approaches the weight of the car, the car maybe able to accelerate and tow the trailer, but stopping becomes the problem. I would suggest trailer brakes with trailers over 1500 lbs.

So yes, you would be able to safely tow a 2000 lb trailer with trailer brakes, I wouldn't suggest it for long trips or extended use. Just my non expert opine. personally, I would go with something under a 1000 pounds, like a teardrop

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/index.php

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Unless you buy the Euro hitch you will be limited to 2000 lbs total load as that is the rated limit of all the US hitches I have seen.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
Thanks for the feed back. I am looking at models equipped with electric brakes. I've towed enough trailers to know that brakes are essential. Also will be using the euro-hitch, as suggested.

I looked at a bunch of tear-drops, but they are not much of a step up from tent camping. Still need to cook outside and if weather is stormy, it could get downight uncomfortable. Also, vey little room to sit out a long stetch of bad weather, unless you don't mind lying down or sitting up in a bed.

I'm looking at small A-Fame hard-sided tavel trailers with a lot of head room and decent acoutrements, given their limited space. You can stetch out in these, stand up in them and actually sit out a storm in a fair amount of comfort. I'm looking at models with heaters, cook stoves, refrigerators,interior lighting, etc.

Doesn't Ed's TDI have a T@B that he tows with his Golf? I saw a photo posted by him with a TAB hitched to a Golf. Those trailers, I've been told, might too much for the Jetta to tow because of their high profile.

Keep the comments coming. Every bit of feed back helps. Thank you.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Not to mention that there is 4 disk brakes. There is more braking available then my 1/2 ton dodge I own with rear drum breaks that likely don't even work anymore. As far as EGTs-something with more wind surface affects that more then the weight I have noticed other then hills and take off. Moving just weight around isn't hard. You can push your own 3000lbs car on a flat surface right? You must have 90 hp then and good brakes to be able to do that (there is sarcasm that can't be typed). I stress being safe always as I have had enough other morons loss items infront of me and lose RV's breaking power down mts.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I agree, higher aero drag is harder on MPGS and drive train than a heaver aerodynamic trailer.

I was interested in a T@B myself, and talked to a guy who towed one with a DSG equipped JSW. He said it towed great, but the MPGs dropped down to the mid 20's. The T@Bs have built in surge brakes so no separate controller or anything is needed, just hook up and go.

Not to mention that there is 4 disk brakes. There is more braking available then my 1/2 ton dodge I own with rear drum breaks that likely don't even work anymore. As far as EGTs-something with more wind surface affects that more then the weight I have noticed other then hills and take off. Moving just weight around isn't hard. You can push your own 3000lbs car on a flat surface right? You must have 90 hp then and good brakes to be able to do that (there is sarcasm that can't be typed). I stress being safe always as I have had enough other morons loss items infront of me and lose RV's breaking power down mts.