tourage tdi mpg

gotto

TDI
looking
i bought a 2013 tourage tdi executive yesturday in the toffee brown and the corn silk beige interior:D. i'm curious to what every ones getting as far as mpg for the tdi. iv'e heard of alot of people getting like 48 mpg and thats probily on the freeway also not in city driving

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Congratulations, I am sure you will be very happy with it :)

Regarding the future MPG ...

What sort of driving you do? (city versus urban, typical journey length)

If that's a 4x4 or SUV (I am not familiar with the model name) then it will not get as good as MPG as a smaller/lighter car.

Does it have a DSG (semi-automatic) or manual gearbox?

gotto

TDI
looking
highway driving mostly and 50 miles each way 65 mph. it has the dsg gear box and not the manual. it's a 4x4 suv. very true that it wont get as good milage as a smaller lighter car but the reason i opted for it is it's all wheel drive and it has a chain in the engine and not a timing belt.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
If you are buying a VW for mileage run away from this Truck. The EPA is 20 city and 29 Highway and the beast weight is 6300 pounds Gvwr, if you kept it at 65 mph and drove like a raw egg was under the fuel peddle it might do the 29 mpg after the break in period of about 15-20k miles. My modded 2003 ALH car with a trick 5th gear will cruse at 65 mph at 1850 rpm and get 60 mpg on summer fuel and flat land. It should not be compaired to a Touareg at all. Suggest you look in the Touareg section here and read more to better understand your truck and the german way of engineering.
Hope you enjoy it , it is a mighty beast.
Paul
aka Jump62

gotto

TDI
looking
i ran away from this thing as most people that had em were getting mpg's in the high 20's. and the ad blue refill is every 5k miles forget it is what i said. so i moved into a golf tdi instead with the tech package and dsg.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
iv'e heard of alot of people getting like 48 mpg and thats probily on the freeway also not in city driving
Name one of these people, please. Maybe you mean 28? :confused:

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
you bought a tourage (whatever that is) and they took it back and let you take a golf because you didnt like it? woah...

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Fish...*sniff, sniff*...I smell fish.

gotto

TDI
looking
it was on order from the factory. they were understanding about it. so i didn't receive it yet. but the golf was taken off the lot. i started doing some research and i changed my mind on my choice. there are better suv's other than the tourage in my mind.

Last edited:

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Never heard anyone call the Touareg TDI a POS. I'm not sure where you got 48mpg from. That's a stretch for even your Golf TDI. And I don't know in what world someone cross shops a $50k SUV with a $25k hatchback. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this new vehicle?

Fuelly logs show about 25mpg average, right in line with EPA estimates. Some higher, some lower, mainly depending on driving conditions.

Jeep is bringing a similar diesel to it's 2014 Grand Cherokee. It seems like a direct competitor to the Touareg TDI.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Never heard anyone call the Touareg TDI a POS. I'm not sure where you got 48mpg from. That's a stretch for even your Golf TDI. And I don't know in what world someone cross shops a $50k SUV with a $25k hatchback. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this new vehicle?
These are my thoughts exactly.

And who throws down $50k on an SUV without being absolutely sure it's what they want? To change your mind 2 days later? Really?

If I tell you the Golf R is AWD will you trade the TDI back and pay the $15k premium for it?

70MPG-goal

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
The old Touareg with a V10 TDI was a bad buy as the 5.0L V10 wasn't good on fuel, but the TDI after 2011 with the 3.0L V6 TDI with the 8 speed is a great SUV with lots of torque for hauling. MPG should be better than 30mpg. Remember, it's a SUV not a monocoque fwd car. Check out used ones on autotrader and save around 15,000$-20,000 compared to new ones. Many 2011s are in the 30,000$ range. Most heavy SUVs will get around 14-25 mpg with gas engines. If you want a luxury SUV with lots of torque and pass the 30mpg range, then the Touareg TDI is the only thing on the American market as of 2013. In 2014 jeep in conjuction with fiat plan on offering a 3.0L V6 TDI from Fiat with an 8 speed auto. Mazda will offer the CX-5 with a 2.2L SkyactivDiesel that gets around 40mpg.
I think VW will have to offer the TDI in the Tiguan to compete with Mazda in 2014.