Touareg V10 TDI chip tuning experience

Denver_Diesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
I've started to think about tuning my V10 TDI Touareg. Looked through this section of the forum and found little information on the big engine. Also looked through the FAQs and newbie threads. Went to rocketchip and they don't offer anything for any touareg. upsolute does have an option.

My question for the forum is; has anyone done any form of chip tune and if so what product and what are your comments? thanks a bunch, i'm looking forward to chipping to make this the full-fledged fire breathing monster that it wants to be.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Aligator and I have tuned them but we don't add too much power (40-50HP gain limited to 350-360HP) as the stock turbos are prone to failure.

I have heard of tuners asking customers to sign an anti-liability waiver. It's an expensive engine.

The stock injectors flow enough fuel for ~45HP per cylinder. With larger and more robust turbos you can get 450HP out of this engine! Close to 500HP is possible, larger injectors may be required.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
deisel power has a tuning box for this engine, but it is over $1000 usd:eek:
DIGI PD10 Module (2005 VW Touareg 5.0L V10 TDI)

http://upscaleauto.com/diesel_power_module.htm

I heard that the TRANS is the weak link in these vehicles once chipped; there was a guy in the local stealership getting a new $6000 trans for his touareg after chipping

apparently the torque goes up past 600 ft pounds and essentially liquifies the transmission internals

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
turbos are the weak link.. and you have to remove the engine to replace the turbos so....... I would stay away from powerbox like things and get a good remap with special care to limit spiking of the boost pressure..

Blkzoomzoom

TDI
2000 Jetta
As someone that just replaced turbos on one last week.... it is not a fun job. Warranty pays 10.5hrs, took me 24 after the alignment and other stuff.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
I watched a factory vw rep blow up a new (oem) one giving demo rides at a vw event. They quickly installed a new engine overnight, and had it ready for more rides the next day. I've heard many other similar horror stories.

Too bad they are so expensive to repair, I spent alot of $$ developing the tuning, but now refuse to release it - save for the motor, not the owner (most have no problem affording turbos and repairs).

I would have bought one of these in a heartbeat, but I like my cummins much better ;-) It will keep up with a v10 on the trails and street, and pull 15,000 lbs, and get 300,000 reliable miles too at 1/2 the cost.

Jeff

Denver_Diesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
thanks for comments

i'll continue to investigate and think about options...but as a comment of my own i'm definitely not worried about the gearbox - if anything that's the strong link, it being common to the posche cayenne models as well as the ridiculous W engine. VW and Posche developed that together with the chassis and very much over-did the job.
As the V10 TDI engine itself, i'm still in love and think it is the best thing on the road for what i'm doing. I've been a diesel man for approaching 2 decades and about a dozen models ranging from various vw tdi's to ford trucks to mercedes to john deeres - and I feel like i've found my soul-mate in the V10. I've heard the stories on the turbos, but some knowledgeable and trustworthy techs that i've spoken to say that VW data shows them blowing at only a slightly higher percentage than that for the 4 cyl. diesels, and are comparable to the crop of 400hp turbodiesel trucks out there.
I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of blown turbos in this model could be attributed to very aggresive driving, which the Touareg TDI almost invites you to do when you are behind the wheel (especially in the beginning).
I'm wanting to chip tune to unleash and uncompromise the vehicle, not so that i can stomp on it. Just realize the power potential, but i don't like to aggresively accelerate a whole lot - but i do like being the top SUV on the road:)

bruski54

TDI
2004 Touareg V10
i'll continue to investigate and think about options...but as a comment of my own i'm definitely not worried about the gearbox - if anything that's the strong link, it being common to the posche cayenne models as well as the ridiculous W engine. VW and Posche developed that together with the chassis and very much over-did the job.
As the V10 TDI engine itself, i'm still in love and think it is the best thing on the road for what i'm doing. I've been a diesel man for approaching 2 decades and about a dozen models ranging from various vw tdi's to ford trucks to mercedes to john deeres - and I feel like i've found my soul-mate in the V10. I've heard the stories on the turbos, but some knowledgeable and trustworthy techs that i've spoken to say that VW data shows them blowing at only a slightly higher percentage than that for the 4 cyl. diesels, and are comparable to the crop of 400hp turbodiesel trucks out there.
I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of blown turbos in this model could be attributed to very aggresive driving, which the Touareg TDI almost invites you to do when you are behind the wheel (especially in the beginning).
I'm wanting to chip tune to unleash and uncompromise the vehicle, not so that i can stomp on it. Just realize the power potential, but i don't like to aggresively accelerate a whole lot - but i do like being the top SUV on the road:)
Do you still have your V10? Did you ever chip tune it? Just curious, I have an '04 with 145000+ on the odo. I had turbo problems, the dealer wanted to replace, turned out to be a missing clip on the variable vane actuator. The previous owner had the turbos replaced under warranty after a incident with a guardrail. He wondered if his problem might have been the same. Other than a (severely) clogged fuel filter, I've never had another mechanical issue. Still love my V10! :)

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Do you still have your V10? Did you ever chip tune it? Just curious, I have an '04 with 145000+ on the odo. I had turbo problems, the dealer wanted to replace, turned out to be a missing clip on the variable vane actuator. The previous owner had the turbos replaced under warranty after a incident with a guardrail. He wondered if his problem might have been the same. Other than a (severely) clogged fuel filter, I've never had another mechanical issue. Still love my V10! :)
My buddy just had the same thing happen to his 06. He thought he blew one of the turbos, so he ordered two brand new ones. Put the car on the lift to start working on it and found that the clip was gone. Reinstalled a new one and the thing is good to go!

His is tuned as well. I believe it's the only Unitronic tuned Touareg in the US.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
There's a Uni tuned 06 V10 in the Dallas area. I believe it sits outdoors with a cooked (unsure of actual failure) motor and now significant hail damage. Sad affair! I'm looking to get my 2008 done after I delete DPFs and EGR and after I'm 100% sure it's healthy and the transmission is full.