Touareg Reliability?

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
There is a 2014 Touareg lux awd TDI with 69k miles, 1yr warranty and fresh inspection, for sale near me. I had never considered a Touareg tbh but after looking at it, I am very impressed. Dealer will not budge from $22,565, coming down from $24999. So is that a good price?

View media item 150203View media item 150204

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
What is your reference point, in terms of what you are accustomed to for reliability? The Mk4 in your sig?

Touareg TDI is a highly complex luxury vehicle. Totally different kind of machine versus a far simpler Mk4, and the Mk4 came from a different era of emission controls as well, which creates an additional huge difference in complexity.

Generally whenever you increase complexity you increase the number of potential failure points and the perception of reliability deteriorates as a result. No exception here. They are very rewarding to drive but you pay the price when they break.... And as they age, they won't be as easy or cheap to keep on the road as the older cars were. (Granted those early gen TDI cars more or less set the standard for long term viability so that may be an unfair comparison...)

I got to drive and get up close with a few of the V10 trucks when they were new and we saw them come through the shop a few times (fortunately not often since they were mostly still under warranty back during the years when I was turning wrenches full time). Amazing machines, but I didn't have to spend more than a few seconds looking under the hood to know I would never want to own one myself.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
That’s precisely what I was thinking. They are amazing to drive but they have a ton of tech involved for all the different bells and whistles.

What is your reference point, in terms of what you are accustomed to for reliability? The Mk4 in your sig?

Touareg TDI is a highly complex luxury vehicle. Totally different kind of machine versus a far simpler Mk4, and the Mk4 came from a different era of emission controls as well, which creates an additional huge difference in complexity.

Generally whenever you increase complexity you increase the number of potential failure points and the perception of reliability deteriorates as a result. No exception here. They are very rewarding to drive but you pay the price when they break.... And as they age, they won't be as easy or cheap to keep on the road as the older cars were. (Granted those early gen TDI cars more or less set the standard for long term viability so that may be an unfair comparison...)

I got to drive and get up close with a few of the V10 trucks when they were new and we saw them come through the shop a few times (fortunately not often since they were mostly still under warranty back during the years when I was turning wrenches full time). Amazing machines, but I didn't have to spend more than a few seconds looking under the hood to know I would never want to own one myself.

GP_RZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
There is a 2014 Touareg lux awd TDI with 69k miles, 1yr warranty and fresh inspection, for sale near me. I had never considered a Touareg tbh but after looking at it, I am very impressed. Dealer will not budge from $22,565, coming down from $24999. So is that a good price?

View media item 150203View media item 150204
That price with that mileage is on par with prices here in Canada in the used Market. They drive like really nice, we test drove a 15 Touareg was nice but wrong color ended up with a 16 q5 which is not as plush like the Touareg. But either car is a blast with 428ft of torque .