Touareg, pronounced "Tow Rig"

khaug1

TDI
VW Touareg V10 TD
I did my maiden voyage with my new V10 TDI as tow vehicle last weekend, towing from my home in Michigan to Mosport Park in Ontario, Canada.

I do performance driving instruction and tow my Porsche 911 to events I attend. I'd towed with Toyota 4Runners and a Trailex lightweight open trailer for the past 9 years. This winter, I got a new car (997 GT3) and bought a new enclosed trailer to tow it. Weight of the Porsche + Trailer is ~5500#. The first hint of what was to come occurred on the way home from the trailer company, towing an empty trailer: My '03 V8 4Runner would not pull the new trailer in 5th gear - I had to use 4th. Aero drag, y'know! Fuel mileage was a dismal 9 mpg! Later, I towed to Watkins Glen, and my mileage improved, but only to 10-11 mpg. And it still wouldn't pull 5th (top) gear at 65 mph.

The '03 was about due for replacement, so I went with a Touareg V10 TDI that my dealer had in stock. BIGGG BUX, but the 553 lb/ft of torque promised that towing would get better.

Indeed, it got MUCH better. The Egg will pull the trailer in 6th gear with no downshifts, even on steep Interstate grades. The Egg is stable, super-quiet, comfortable and serene in 65 mph cruise. Simply set the cruise control and let the Egg do the work! Best of all, it returned 14-15 calculated mpg on our 800 mile round trip.

This is a primo tow vehicle, and I'm beyond just being pleased with its performance! If there's a better vehicle for the job I have, I can't imagine what it would be.

Last edited:

khaug1

TDI
VW Touareg V10 TD
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Without going for a "big rig" (i.e. Ram/F250), the T-reg V10 is probably the best vehicle out there for towing in comfort IMO.
Couldn't agree more!

IMHO, the V10 TDI Egg is unique, offering "big truck" tow capacity in a package that drives like the medium-sized vehicle it is. It's rare that reality so greatly exceeds expectations! I'm 150% pleased!

How sad that the V10 TDI is going away soon.