Touareg or Cayenne or Q5

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Way more bang for the buck with a Touareg.

The exact same thing my wife & I said during and after my test drive of a Cayenne today.

The Cayenne has 25k less in mileage and is 2 yrs newer but I was a little shocked that the Touareg we test drive yesterday was nearly twice as nice in the drive and noise level......I was really thinking before the test drive that the Cayenne was going to be the same vehicle but with a different skin and some minor changes in the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
At one time I was considering the Chevy Equinox TDI. Comparing the Buick equivalent to is, there too there is much more bang for the buck with the Chevy version. You pay quite a bit more for the Buick name, but you don't really gain anything.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Since I had only seen pictures of the Cayenne's interior I thought I'd get a little seat time just to see if there is a huge difference between the two or not.

I now know for sure that the Touareg is most definitely in my future.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
At one time I was considering the Chevy Equinox TDI. Comparing the Buick equivalent to is, there too there is much more bang for the buck with the Chevy version. You pay quite a bit more for the Buick name, but you don't really gain anything.
Ah, but the Buick is built in China, so there's that... LOL.

The Cayenne with the 6 cylinder engines is not much different than the T'reg, although the TDI did get an extra 10hp and a better more sporty transmission map. The only reason to consider a gas 6 cyl Cayenne over a T'reg is that there were a few available with the proper number of pedals here.

The V8s are Porsche's own engine, however. And there is even a turbo version of that, if you are really in a hurry.

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
It's all about the Porsche label for many people,which I think is great. I bgt my Touareg because it wasn't a Porsche label. I would get laughed out of the boat ramp with a Porsche Cayenne. Nuf said,my cracker friends in FL are a riot. Never go to the everglades in a Porsche. LOL

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
There is a Cayenne TDI near me for sale.
2015 with 42k on the mileage and they're asking $40k.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
There is a Cayenne TDI near me for sale.
2015 with 42k on the mileage and they're asking $40k.

You could probably get an equivalent Touareg for 1/2 that price. You'd end up with TWICE the depreciation (in absolute dollars) in value if you got the Porsche.

In X numbers of years, the Cayenne will be worth $20,000, while the VW will be worth approx. $10,000. So if you have $10,000 extra you can afford to lose or don't care about losing, go for it!

oilhammer

TDI
The T'regs tank in value too. They are hardly a wise investment in that regard. After the Phaeton, they are easily the fastest way to burn money in a Volkswagen.

My friend paid $62k for his, got $4500 trade in. And it was in great shape, and was a pretty high end model.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
The only reason I can see it being advantageous to have a Cayenne diesel over the 2013 and up Touareg is if you find the rare one equipped with air suspension.

The last Touaregs you could get with air suspension in the U.S. were 2010 models before the refresh... and before the 240 horse V6 TDI and 8 speed automatic.

In the U.S., if you want the 240 hp TDI engine, 8 speed auto AND adjustable air ride with the fantastic active dampers on this platform, you can only find it in the Cayenne. And even then, it was a rarely taken option. I've looked, just for reference (and when depreciation eventually hits them hard enough for me to think about buying one) and ones equipped with air ride are very few and far between. They do exist, but are exceedingly rare.

If I didn't care about the air ride, I'd likely just get the Touareg anyway.

I think I'll just keep rocking the early V10 Touareg instead, though. Air, transfer case with low gear, locking center and rear diffs. It has done some light off roading--not enough to actually require the locking diffs yet--and it will get worked into doing more severe trails at some point where those DO get use.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Thank you to all for your input.

Touareg will be the next purchase.
The one reason I kind of asked was because there is very few Touareg's available close by without a road trip of some sorts.

Road trip it is than.....I guess [emoji41]

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The T'regs tank in value too. They are hardly a wise investment in that regard. After the Phaeton, they are easily the fastest way to burn money in a Volkswagen.
My friend paid $62k for his, got $4500 trade in. And it was in great shape, and was a pretty high end model.
The trick (If you want to drive a Touareg) is to let someone else bear the cost of the "tanking" and drive it from that point.
The issue would be the maintenance cost of a more complex vehicle.
At my age I decided that I wanted the comfort and the easier to enter and exit and quieter ride.
I am taking a change on the catastrophic repair bill....

The Touareg is a really nice car!

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I changed the title of the thread a little by adding the Q5 into the mix.

I don't have a Q5 in the TDI anywhere close by to test drive, but I did take a 2016 Q5 for a test drive to see if my BIG butt fits or not. Lol

The Q5 is a much closer comparison to the Touareg.
I didn't mind it at all. It has a tighter turning radius than the Touareg...I realize that Q5 is shorter in wheel base by a few inches but I didn't expect it to turn that much tighter.

So now what do the masses say when comparing the Touareg & the Q5?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt-98AHU

TDI

I don't have a Q5 in the TDI anywhere close by to test drive, but I did take a 2016 Q5 for a test drive to see if my BIG butt fits or not. Lol

I didn't mind it at all. It has a tighter turning radius than the Touareg...I realize that Q5 is shorter in wheel base by a few inches but I didn't expect it to turn that much tighter.

Q5 is definitely much more geared for on road duty. It's also about 600 lbs lighter than the Touareg (if we're comparing the later 240 horse V6 with the 8 speed auto). The chassis is effectively a tall bodied, lifted A4 wagon. Uses the Audi virtual steering axis suspension up front just like the A4/5/6/7/8 uses. The Porsche Macan is the same as the Q5. Definitely a smaller, more nimble vehicle than the Touareg/Cayenne.

The Q5 with the diesel is surprisingly quick.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Are you going to be towing? If so how much weight? The Touareg has a much higher tow capacity rating than the Q5 if that is important to you? Rear seating and hatch space will be more cramped in the Q5. Otherwise if you want the more sporty feel the Q5 is probably the way to go.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Most of the use will be commuting to & from work as well as little getaways...not to mention the longer drives of some vacations.
If there is any towing involved it would be light and not more than 2500 to 2700 lbs.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
Most of the use will be commuting to & from work as well as little getaways...not to mention the longer drives of some vacations.
If there is any towing involved it would be light and not more than 2500 to 2700 lbs.
If you're not going on any trails and don't need the bigger space of the Touareg/Cayenne or extra space the Q7 has, then yeah, the Q5 is a good choice. It is rated to tow more than 5000 lbs.

Should get slightly better fuel economy and will be quite quick.

oilhammer

TDI
The Q5's accessory (Oris) hitch is rated for 4210 pounds. I just looked at one in the shop that I installed. 2000 kg.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
If and when I might....maybe get around to getting a pair of jet skis that would be the object that is being towed. LOL

It is going to be a daily commuter vehicle as well as a long distance vacation drive vehicle.

Last edited:

TrdLtly

TDI
2014 Touareg Exec

I compared the Q5 and the T'reg. I needed the extra room and towing so that required the T'reg.

I believe that the: Q7=T'reg and Q5=Tiguan in relation to size.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
No. The Q3 is the Audi version of the Tiguan. There is no Volkswagen equivalent of the Q5. The Q5 rides on the longitudinal Audi A4 platform. Closest thing to that was the B5 Passat.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
No. The Q3 is the Audi version of the Tiguan. There is no Volkswagen equivalent of the Q5. The Q5 rides on the longitudinal Audi A4 platform. Closest thing to that was the B5 Passat.

Thank you oilhammer for educating is all...I appreciate it.
I've driven a 2016 Q5 2.0liter gas motor recently just to show the wife the size... And I know that the 3.0TDI version will probably drive quite differently.

There is a 2013 Touareg Lux TDI close by that is on the radar and considering. Also there is a 2015 Porsche Cayenne TDI close by with a price tag on the high side.

I wish there was a TDI Q5 that I could drive so that the comparison is all fair.

oilhammer

TDI
The TDI Q5 is much better to drive than the 2.0L turbo gas engine, although that engine is able to move the car along quite nicely too. The shift mapping is quite different, as you'd expect. The ZF box will get into higher gears quicker and stay there more with the diesel. And they pull on the highway like nothing is going to stop them. I'd even say the TDI is nicer to drive than the gas V6s, aside from the supercharged one in the S version, which is a whole other experience.

To me, the Touareg "feels" more like a beast of a truck. Heavy, cumbersome, etc. The Q5 is a much more spirited fun thing to drive. Despite sharing the engine, they are VERY different vehicles.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I own a 2015 Q5 TDI( Premium Plus w/ Tech Package, Hitch, and Racks )... 240HP / 428 TQ @ 4400lbs. The towing capacity is 4,400lbs w/ a 440lbs tongue weight. I get 24 - 25 MPG in city (HEAVY traffic ), and 34 - 35MPG on the highway @ 80. This thing is seriously quick in stock form 0 - 60 in about 6.5( below 30 MPH is almost WRX fast ... which was my previous vehicle, and we have a 2011 WRX which has been highly modified ). The ride is comfortable and fairly well composed. It has a tendency to push from the rear on a quick WOT turn, but it composes itself solidly and it might drift the rear just slightly, but all the electrical trickery fixes it for you. I've taken it on class 6 roads, and a few minor hill climbs and such, and it was more than good enough. If you want serious ability in this area get one of the others. IT fits 4 super comfortably... with room to spare in the trunk space for stuff, and get roof racks, and there's 160lbs of extra stuff there.

Can't say enough good things about it. Car is great stock but....

If you want to pay to play you have plenty of options down the road.
From Other threads and research:

Magnaflow catback makes the throttle much more responsive and barely makes an audible difference.

Malone Stage 2, really brings this thing alive even more, it becomes really quick w/ DPF intact.( I had this tune on for a week, i pulled it so i can get the new emissions work done... but either way... awesome. I noticed my mileage was roughly the same )

Upgrade the intercooler to the darkside one if you live in an area that gets above 80 in the summer and you have the tune, will lower temps and you will get basically no timing pull and etc...

034 Motorsports makes an awesome rear swaybar, and endlinks for front and rear and when equipped makes the steering completely neutral and really shores up the cornering.

Billstein makes B6 Shocks ( use w/ factory Springs ) -- These are stock ride height and are around 10% stiffer ( they are listed as heavy duty in many places ) -- These are supposed to make the ride super composed if you want to keep factory ride height

Billstein makes B8 Shocks ( Uses H&R springs for the Q5 I believe ) - Lowers it down to about SQ5 ride height - 1.25 inch, and really makes the suspension come alive. Guys still tow with this w/o any issues -- vehicle still have 6.7" ground clearance here...

RSNav - Makes andriod tablets that sit infront of the radio and give you full touch screen w/ google maps, but keeps all of the audi mmi stuff intack 100%.

anyway... good luck w/ your purchase...

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I own a 2015 Q5 TDI( Premium Plus w/ Tech Package, Hitch, and Racks )... 240HP / 428 TQ @ 4400lbs. The towing capacity is 4,400lbs w/ a 440lbs tongue weight. I get 24 - 25 MPG in city (HEAVY traffic ), and 34 - 35MPG on the highway @ 80. This thing is seriously quick in stock form 0 - 60 in about 6.5( below 30 MPH is almost WRX fast ... which was my previous vehicle, and we have a 2011 WRX which has been highly modified ). The ride is comfortable and fairly well composed. It has a tendency to push from the rear on a quick WOT turn, but it composes itself solidly and it might drift the rear just slightly, but all the electrical trickery fixes it for you. I've taken it on class 6 roads, and a few minor hill climbs and such, and it was more than good enough. If you want serious ability in this area get one of the others. IT fits 4 super comfortably... with room to spare in the trunk space for stuff, and get roof racks, and there's 160lbs of extra stuff there.

Can't say enough good things about it. Car is great stock but....

If you want to pay to play you have plenty of options down the road.
From Other threads and research:

Magnaflow catback makes the throttle much more responsive and barely makes an audible difference.

Malone Stage 2, really brings this thing alive even more, it becomes really quick w/ DPF intact.( I had this tune on for a week, i pulled it so i can get the new emissions work done... but either way... awesome. I noticed my mileage was roughly the same )

Upgrade the intercooler to the darkside one if you live in an area that gets above 80 in the summer and you have the tune, will lower temps and you will get basically no timing pull and etc...

034 Motorsports makes an awesome rear swaybar, and endlinks for front and rear and when equipped makes the steering completely neutral and really shores up the cornering.

Billstein makes B6 Shocks ( use w/ factory Springs ) -- These are stock ride height and are around 10% stiffer ( they are listed as heavy duty in many places ) -- These are supposed to make the ride super composed if you want to keep factory ride height

Billstein makes B8 Shocks ( Uses H&R springs for the Q5 I believe ) - Lowers it down to about SQ5 ride height - 1.25 inch, and really makes the suspension come alive. Guys still tow with this w/o any issues -- vehicle still have 6.7" ground clearance here...

RSNav - Makes andriod tablets that sit infront of the radio and give you full touch screen w/ google maps, but keeps all of the audi mmi stuff intack 100%.

anyway... good luck w/ your purchase...

WOW!!!........

That's a great write up and a lot of very helpful information.
Thank you very much. [emoji4]