Touareg fuel economy

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I'm only getting 18mpg highway and 15.5 when towing. This is a 2010 post-fix Tdi.

What kind of fuel economy are you getting?

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
My 2014 averaged 31 pre fix, 30 post.
hand calculated, usually fill up when computer says there is approximately 100 miles of range.
I write miles per tank, and total vehicle mileage on the receip, have them all saved over last 110k miles.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Around 27, more highway than city. It seems to get 27 mpg at 72 mph, move to 82 mph and its closer to 24 mpg. All time high was 30, which oddly enough was up very high in Colorado.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Wow. I've never gotten over 22 mpg, no matter how slow or steady I drive. But everything is bone stock. I do have the Lux package (or whatever the heck it's called) with air suspension. Not sure if that can account for 30% more fuel burn, but..ugh.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Mileage was improved with the 2011 and later T3 models so those are not apples to apples comparisons. We had a CATA 2009 pre-fix. IIRC it would get 20-22 around town, about 24-26 on the highway. Only towed once and mileage did drop off. Don't know about post-fix but your description seems a bit low.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
3 year owned average according to Lie-O-Meter says 10.4 L/100km.
This covers all use.... mixed city\highway, towing 25' TT and\or 10'x5' open utility trailer with all types of stuff in it, and all seasons.... ~ 38k km
When I pull the RV, I see between 13-18L/100km depending on conditions.
We took a 4k km trip across Ontario 2 years ago, and the trip average was 8.1L/100km.
All this is on fixed, unchipped or modified in any way, running OEM 20s in summer and 18s in winter.
I've see as low as 7L/100km average on long 7hr drive on full, steady cruise control.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
As Tom stated, comparisons to the 2011+ models is worthless. Different engine, different transmission.

And the "while towing" is somewhat worthless anyway unless someone just happens to be towing the exact same trailer under the exact same circumstances.

I have nothing to add beyond this bit of advice to the OP to ignore anyone that is not also driving a 2009-10 CATA 6sp T'reg. I'd also add that the particular tire/wheel package probably is a variable of some degree, too. I know it matters a lot on the gasser T'regs (they can go from abysmal to "holy crap, does this thing have a hole in the tank?" when people want to "upgrade" to some blingy giant wheels).

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting..... let me read the OP's thread title again... oh yeah.... he's not asking about a specific year or engine is he?
Oh well.... I'll stay out of it... no need for more worthless information.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Interesting..... let me read the OP's thread title again... oh yeah.... he's not asking about a specific year or engine is he?
Oh well.... I'll stay out of it... no need for more worthless information.

Well I'm interested in all T'regs I guess. I knew the later models had 8 speed transmissions, but figured it would only add 2mpg (10%) or so. The wheel/tire package on this is quite ginormous (factory). The only reason I got this T'reg was for the frequent towing needs and that it had a warranty. I'm just shocked at how crappy the fuel economy is.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
All t'regs? Then clearly I have something to complain about with the 10mpg city on my 3.2L gasser. On highways it can manage a solid 18-20mpg because of the larger 265/75/17 Wrangler tires, however stop and go rating is horrid.

Earlier today I attempted to install new spark plugs and coils to remedy the topic at hand, only to find myself breaking off a few plugs; yes I know I have to push down and then hand crimp before pulling them off but clearly I'm an ape. To make matters worse they send me the wrong NGK's... Hoping to clear 15mpg in the city after buttoning up this mess.

Btw @TurboABA .. were you ATLavia8r on vortex?

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
The T'reg is quite heavy, nearly 5k pounds, and they are all full time AWD, which further eats up fuel economy. Far cry from a FWD 3000 pound Jetta. The TDIs are actually stellar in comparison to the gassers, even the early CATA TDIs.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
As stated, the TDI fuel efficiency was/is quite good for what the vehicle is. When we bought our 2009 Touareg TDI (used), we were also shopping similar vintage Tiguans w/ 4motion. The 4 cyl Tiguan (premium gas) and 6 cyl Touareg TDI had virtually identical EPA numbers, about 18/25 if I recall, and this was the "small" Tiguan. Fuel prices for premium and diesel were about the same back then.

But to the OP, indications are your fuel mileage numbers may be lower than many achieve. But I should qualify that our 21-22 "city" was really not total stop and go urban driving. It's a 5-10 mile rural drive just to get to "town" so we had some open road driving thrown in.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Lol nothing changed. There were 13 faults and I was able to take care of them all except the one: P0341

New spark plugs, ignition plugs, and clean filters did absolutely nothing for this gasser. This thing is baller and not in a good way. It whips, but nonetheless I passed it on to my father whom rarely drives. Plus, I was unable gain confidence in that obnoxious death wobble at very high speeds.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone here work on swapping out the camshaft sensor on a vr6? I know there's two... think I can blind eye the Cam shaft sensor in the back. Maybe it'd best to replace both because that has to be the culprit for such horrible mileage. Any pointers will be much appreciated.

On a longitudinal mount, I believe bank 1 is on the driver's side and bank 2 is passenger side under the rain tray.

Last edited:

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
@Poor King
Sorry I missed that..... negative.... I've always been TurboABA on all and any forums... here, whoretex, etc, etc, etc.....
Your sense of humor and even your avatar is very similar to a long time member there. Everyone liked him including myself, but then one day he just stopped posting after being an avid poster of 15+ years. Everyone wondered what had happened. I figured he switched to diesel after reading some of your posts.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ha... I'm just an inpersonator as I'm not that liked... Just ask the snowflakes on clubtouareg who cried about my posts until I got banned..... I still cry myself to sleep every night, but I hope to one day be able to get over it.

Which reminds me ... I need to check the last time I was active on vortex.... Probably around the same time I last attended waterfest FML.... Adulting sucks!

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I'm only getting 18mpg highway and 15.5 when towing. This is a 2010 post-fix Tdi.

My 2014 without the fix gets about 28 mpg all around. I've went as far as 708 miles on one tank.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
My 2014 without the fix gets about 28 mpg all around. I've went as far as 708 miles on one tank.

Wow. That's almost car-like FE. I guess I should have bought the next generation T'reg with the better transmission for better fuel economy. Except, at the time, they were about $3500--$4500 more expensive. Would never have saved enough fuel to make that up. I'm just bummed--this is the most thirsty vehicle I've ever owned, by far.

oilhammer

TDI
I had a 1978 F250, with the 7.5L gas V8 (that's a 460 for you rednecks), bolted to the 3sp C6 transmission with no lockup, and a 4.10:1 rear end ratio. It was just a regular cab long bed 2WD truck, but it could not break into double digits. It was usually only about 7 mpg. That really was the most amazing (or depressing) thing about it. Was how quickly it could vaporize gasoline. It was a nice truck, but I did not have it very long.

In contrast, my 1990 F350, which was a Supercab and a dual rear wheel job, managed 14-17 with its 7.3L turbocharged diesel, although its slushbox did have OD and lockup which I'm sure helped.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
@Tom_B. Interesting you mention the Tiguan. When I started searching for a vehicle to tow our food trailer, I did research across many brands and formats (vans, trucks,SUVs), but I put a premium on OEM-factory tow packages and OEM tow ratings for safety. The key criteria I had were:

• tow rating (bonus for OEM tow package installed; lesser bonus if OEM tow package could be retrofitted
  • (longer) wheel base and short rear overhang
  • tighter turning circle
  • bonus for ability to park in garage
  • warranty and reputation
I did a comparison spreadsheet and gave weights to tow safety factors and other stuff too. The Tiguan washed out on the first round due to its low tow rating, but I really liked the size and compactness. Other vehicles I looked at:

Savana 1500
R350 CDI
R350 gas
GL320 CDI
Tourag Tdi
GL350
Tiguan
X5
X3
X5 35d
535i GT
Dodge Sprinter 2500 High roof

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bunch of cry babies you all are ;)

My previous setup

That's a 4x4 v8 gasser (318), with 200k on the clock, slushbox, 3.55 gears (before the 35" mudders), 3" suspension lift, pulling a 36' (~8k or more), with wood and other crap in the box on top of it..... I could barely make it from gas station to gas station during trips and would struggle to get to 50 mph given sufficient "flatish" road.

During "normal" street use, it would hover around 10-11 mpg if you "hyper miled a lot".

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
@nicklockard. Understood, though towing wasn't ever a consideration for us. We were only shopping low mileage used at the time we bought our 2009 and the Treg and Tiguan AWD were about $6-$8k apart. The first time we drove a Treg my wife was intimidated by its size so we focused on the smaller vehicle. We actually made an offer to a dealer for a Tiguan. Offer was declined, we went around the corner and took a second drive in a Treg, months after our initial test drive, and never looked back. There is no comparison between the vehicles even for the cost difference, everything about the Treg is first class for VW.

My wife absolutely loved the 2009 we had. There is no way we would have parted with it except for the fact that early on there was no "fix" and none contemplated at the time, and VW made it too impractical not to sell it back. It was in fantastic shape with nearly 150k miles. We've found the T3's to be a little more refined in terms of how they handle and we appreciate the slightly better mileage, but the T2 was and still is near and dear to us. We later saw Helga, as we called her, sell in Minnesota. Somebody got a good vehicle.

Hope you enjoy your 2010.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
2013 TDI gets 29 mpg at 80 mph, and 31 mpg at 70 mph or less. Malone tuned stage 2, TCM tuned back to pre dieselgate fix . DPF deleted, off road only😉

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
In the winter I was getting 850-950 km per tank consistently, with the odd tank over 1000 km. This is 90% highway driving on cruise control at the limit.

Now that it's summer, I'm seeing > 1000 km regularly with similar driving habits except for more city driving.

I tend to fill up when the light goes on at 100-120 km remaining per tank.

Was consistently using lubricity additive at the start and then that waned.

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
My 2014 with 143,000 miles and no emission mods gets about in summer weather:
34 mpg @ 60 mph
30 mpg @ 70 mph
28 mpg @ 80 mph

Very dependent on speed and by air temperature. I have got as low as 25 mpg @ 85 mpg. I got almost 19 mpg pulling my 17 foot Boston Whaler to the Upper Peninsula where I towed @ 70-72 mph. Winter blend diesel knocks my down about 2-3 mpg.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
My 2012 and 2016 TDIs would make the trip from NE to SWFL 1475 miles on 2 tanks of fuel ,driving 75-80 MPH. Did that trip for 25 yrs and always the same MPGs. Pretty good for a tank. Of course now with the pricing mess with diesel fuel the big advantage has changed.
BTW I drove the same trip with a Toyota Sequoia V8 and used double the fuel.

Golf Wang

TDI
2016 Touareg TDI Exec

that is extremely poor. Something is wrong for you to get 18 unladen in a TDI, I get 26-30 depending on my speed in the highway. 26 @ 75-80, 28-30 @ 65-70