Totalled my 98 Jetta

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
I totalled my 98 TDI and it's difficult to find another unit that was that clean and rust free. Even the insurance co had a challenge finding equivalent values.

I'm winding up my TDI experience after almost 20 years and can't express the value that this club has been to me over those years.

My last posts will be in the for sale section as I clear out my spares that I'd bought recently.

I've only saved the higher value spares as I don't have time or space to deal with all the parts I know would be wanted.

Thanks to everyone.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I wish you were leaving on better terms, such as you bought a Touareg with the v10 TDI…

-Todd

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
I wish you were leaving on better terms, such as you bought a Touareg with the v10 TDI…

-Todd
A person pulled a u turn on the 4 lane in front of Mr at hwy speeds and I couldn't avoid the truck. Lucky I hit the rear box area.
The passenger side took the worst and the rest is history. A few 10ths of a second was the difference between tagging her door or front fender and where I did hit.

They are a great little car if you can keep the rust at bay.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Coincidentally enough I was in the JY today and I stumbled upon a very clean ‘99 Jetta. I was amazed that I didn’t see rust on it. It was an ABA, so I didn’t really look it over, too closely.

I haven’t seen any clean A3s in any of the local JYs I frequent, in the past several years.

-Todd

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
Coincidentally enough I was in the JY today and I stumbled upon a very clean ‘99 Jetta. I was amazed that I didn’t see rust on it. It was an ABA, so I didn’t really look it over, too closely.

I haven’t seen any clean A3s in any of the local JYs I frequent, in the past several years.

-Todd
Me either. Even on the West Coast they are few and far between.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Mk3 Jettas are relatively common still in the Southern California junkyards. That said I have never seen a TDI in the yard, and very few highline cars from the mk3 days. Golfs and GTIs are also extremely rare.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
A person pulled a u turn on the 4 lane in front of Mr at hwy speeds and I couldn't avoid the truck. Lucky I hit the rear box area.
The passenger side took the worst and the rest is history. A few 10ths of a second was the difference between tagging her door or front fender and where I did hit. They are a great little car if you can keep the rust at bay.
That stinks! Sorry to hear it.

Ajlal24

TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 2012 Golf TDI
I have a 1998 Jetta TDI that will be forsale soon. Clean rust-free California car that has approximately 220K on the engine. If you're interested, we can talk price in message.