Totaled!

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
My son totaled his car!

Really don't know what other car he will want. After we bought a 2000 Malibu from a "friend", that car was nothing but a piece of junk, don't know why I fell for the "friend" price.
Anyway, he really wanted a 5speed TDI. Found this sedan. Not long after he had to replace the manual trans, which I was surprised at that. After a year, had to replace it again! Just last week, he had the alternator replaced. Then 2 days ago... This! He is okay - God was watching over him.
But, I am not sure if he wants to get another MK4, due to the issues he had on this one. Any inputs?

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Well, he's OK and that is all that matters. Its just a car. There are other MKIV's out there for him to buy. Consider parting that one out, or keeping it for parts if he gets another.... Good luck.

RT

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Mk4s are good, but maybe you need to read a bit more on what you're buying. The manual trans shouldn't fail, except maybe clutch, but that's a wear item.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I count among the worst feelings I've experienced seeing my son's TDI after he totaled it almost exactly 6 years ago. Skidded on ice driving home after his last college exam and hit a variety of things including taking down a power pole. He was unhurt, but it's still frightening to think of what might have happened.

Between me, my son, and my daughter, we've totaled 5 VWs. My older son has been, remarkably, free from such experiences. No injuries to any of us, except a concussion for me. VWs have been very, very good to me in many ways, but this is the most important one.

Give your son a hug and be grateful he's safe. As others have said, cars can be replaced. Family can't. Happy holidays.

Last edited:

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
That's something to consider when thinking about another car... that he ended up safe. I too have totaled two Jettas, one on black ice on the highway in West Virginia in the middle of the night and another when someone rear ended me at a high rate of speed and turned my sedan into a 2-door hatchback. Especially in the first accident, people looked at that car and were surprised I was completely unhurt.

In my opinion, these are very safe cars. I am on my 3rd one, and I really really hope this one doesn't get totaled.

As far as transmissions, do you mean he had to swap the whole gearbox twice? That seems out of the ordinary.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I count among the worst feelings I've experienced seeing my son's TDI after he totaled it almost exactly 6 years ago. Skidded on ice driving home after his last college exam and hit a variety of things including taking down a power pole. He was unhurt, but it's still frightening to think of what might have happened.

Between me, my son, and my daughter, we've totaled 5 VWs. My older son has been, remarkably, free from such experiences. No injuries to any of us, except a concussion for me. VWs have been very, very good to me in many ways, but this is the most important one.

Give your son a hug and be grateful he's safe. As others have said, cars can be replaced. Family can't. Happy holidays.

Perhaps you can get a family discount at the local Driving School.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
But, I am not sure if he wants to get another MK4, due to the issues he had on this one. Any inputs?
The Mk IV is gonna be the gentlest diesel on maintenance costs for what you get. The later ones will get extremely expensive as emissions failures begin to fall outside the warranty settlement. If he want less maintenance maybe look at one of the gas Hondas or Toyotas before direct injection

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Perhaps you can get a family discount at the local Driving School.
My daughter totaled three of them. In fairness, she's a much better driver now. Can't imagine how she could get worse. Both my son's and my totals had more to do with driving conditions than anything else.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
In reading this thread, especially IBW's posts, I now understand why TDIs are becoming scarce and hard to find. My daughter totaled 1 NB TDI and then 1 Prius. I would not let her drive any more diesels.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
We did get a well maintained VW 2008 Rabbit 2.5 for our 18 yr old daughter. We like VW's and he will most likely get another one. I keep telling him that all cars need work + it depends on what you like and able to put up with.
Bob, do you still have an extra B4V?

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
In reading this thread, especially IBW's posts, I now understand why TDIs are becoming scarce and hard to find. My daughter totaled 1 NB TDI and then 1 Prius. I would not let her drive any more diesels.

In all seriousness, I would prefer having a big wreck in a Diesel. There is far less chance of fire.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
None of my daughter's VWs were diesels. She doesn't want one. And I was never successful in teaching her to drive a manual. Oh, well.

One was a really nice MKIII Jetta that we found: original owner, had about 40K on it when we bought it, and it had that great combo of crank windows and power sunroof. It was with that car that I learned your child's first car should never be anything you like of value, because it's going to be destroyed, one way or another. In her case the Jetta was her second, replacing a Corolla that, yes, she totaled.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
UPDATE.

My son bought a 1990 Toyota Corolla (automatic) from an acquaintance, with only 51,000 miles! He stated that he misses the TDI and wants to keep the wrecked car for parts. Lucky me.

During the Hollidays, I ran across another B4V owner, we talked and he mentioned selling his wagon. The wagon was just like mine, with 240,000 miles on it. I was interested, gave him my business card. Haven't heard from him, and I don't have his phone #. Might be a good thing, don't need another parked TDI!