Totaled '04 Jetta - $2500 buyback - Twin Cities, MN

TDI
a totaled 04 Jetta, looking for new golf
I had a crash in my 2004 Jetta TDI. I thought long and hard about buying it back and having it fixed, but decided I could probably just get a comparable TDI used and avoid keeping a salvage title.

It still seems like this car would be great for a DIY TDI enthusiast who could do their own bodywork, and if you can give me the $2,500 buyback price from state farm and pick it up, it's yours. It's really just that I'd feel better about what was my wonderful jetta going to a good home and getting brought back to life than going to a salvage yard.

CAR STILL DRIVES, in fact, it drives great. I easily brought it up to highway speed to shop around at different body shops to get repair estimates.

Most of the damage is on the Right, Front corner. Hood, Headlight, bumper, and some paneling definitely need to be replaced. Possibly more damage underneath. If you want more details about it, Call Jonathan 715-499-0176. I'm new to TDI club so messaging me on here may not work, please call. I'm going to be handing this car over to State Farm within the next week if I don't hear anything.

To answer a few questions so far...

I will post pics when I take them this weekend, maybe even tomorrow. The car is sitting in the parking lot of a body shop in the suburbs and it's kind of difficult for me to get out there (I obviously don't have a car right now).

It has 150,000 miles, almost on the dot. Maroon color. 5-spd manual. I think it's a GL - auto windows and locks, 2 remote keys, can't find the valet. cloth seats, cruise, ESP, black interior, CD, AM/FM, Tape, heated mirrors, new serpentine belt, steel wheels, inter wipers, everything is stock and a pretty basic model.

What I do know about what is wrong with it, and I don't know much... The bumper was dragging on the ground so I ripped it off and put it in the backseat. I had to bend a bit of sheet metal to get it to stop rubbing the tire to drive it around. When it drives, it goes straight. The passenger door will not open. The drivers door will, but it takes a firm push and makes an ugly noise. I don't think there is frame damage. Body shop people tell me it needs a new radiator support, and there is a high chance of "hidden damage" that will jack up my repair bill as they start tearing into it.

right now it has brand new snow tires (less than 1000m). If the same tires will fit on the new golf I am scoping out, I am going to keep them and trade you for some all-weathers, or maybe one of my older snows

Photos: I don't know why there were errors and I couldn't get them to post right in this ad, but I posted them in the photo's section if you look at my gallery, all the pictures there are of this car.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Well, this is a very generous offer, I am sure that you could stop some phone calls by answering a few questions in your post, and putting a few pics up. Mileage on the car, type of transmission, interior, frame damage etc. If you have some pics to post go the blue band near the top of the screen. On that band one of the selections is photos. You can upload them there. You will have to register again there to upload them.
Ray

TDI
a totaled 04 Jetta, looking for new golf
I'll have pics coming soon - need to go out to the car this weekend and take them (along with all the crap I left inside)

Der Hoff Wagen

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon
Can you still buyback this car? It looks like you rear ended something with a high bumper like a truck or big SUV. What happened?