Torsion Value of 0?

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
Gents, I did my timing belt a few weeks back, and checked my torsion value. It is "0". I have a hard time imagining that I actually got it directly on 0. My understanding is that a value outside of its range will show as 0. How can I determine mine is in the correct spot? I bought and used all the proper tools and locks/pins from KermaTDI, as well as the proper kit. Is it something to be worried about? The car as far as I can tell is running fine. Thank you all for your help! I will try to do the DSG service, air filter and oil change next weekend, so if I need to tear back into it, that'd be the time to do so.

edit: Took a quick run around the block to get the engine back to optimum temp, yep, 0.0, and specified injection start is 1.9 BTDC. Does that help any?

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Try moving the cam a wee bit and see if it goes + or-.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Why do you think something is wrong? Don't fix if it isn't broken. You have used the proper tools, which is OK. Don't worry more about it. When VW dealer does the job, they never check the torsion.

If you are still worried, then try giving a hard acceleration. When the belt wears a little bit, there might be a deviation of -.5 in the reading.

I wouldn't suggest moving the cam here and there just to find out if the value changes. If the car runs OK, just leave it alone.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you used the correct tools and did the job correctly then it's not unusual that it could be at .0 . That after all is the goal of doing a proper tming belt change.

Is the little sticker still on top of your tb cover and does it still have a hand written torsion value written on it followed by someone's initials? If so whatever the value is would be what your car was set at when it left the factory.

If your car is running good, I would leave it unless you have a surge, skip or some other reason to adjust it. There is a tutorial on myturbodiiesel.com with pictures if you need help.

If you are WAY out the setting defaults to 0, however if it's running well you're probably about where you should be.

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
If you used the correct tools and did the job correctly then it's not unusual that it could be at .0 . That after all is the goal of doing a proper tming belt change.

Is the little sticker still on top of your tb cover and does it still have a hand written torsion value written on it followed by someone's initials? If so whatever the value is would be what your car was set at when it left the factory.

If your car is running good, I would leave it unless you have a surge, skip or some other reason to adjust it. There is a tutorial on myturbodiiesel.com with pictures if you need help.

If you are WAY out the setting defaults to 0, however if it's running well you're probably about where you should be.
Thank you both! My timing belt cover is illegible. I think I'll leave it be then. :D

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
That is not my opinion. I rarely see that a '0' setting is the right setting. What is worse, if the setting doesn't move when you change the position of the cam sprocket, you have either a bad cam sensor or it is WAY out of time. If the engine is way advanced, it would more likely start easier, but retarded, it may not start at all.

This change is so simple to do, I don't know why you wouldn't try. What is more, let's just assume the setting is proper. What is your fuel economy? If it is not as good as it used to be, the ONLY thing timing-wise you can set is the torsion value to improve fuel economy.

Check fuel economy. If it is good, leave well enough alone. If not, we have seen the torsion value moved .5 degrees improve fuel economy by 5mpg.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
0.0 yields my best mpg's. I experimented both plug and minus TV's.

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
It doesn't start any different than it did before. Will check mpg next fill up and report back.
Is there a way to verify the cam sensor is working?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I think with bad cam sensor you would have starting problems. It would definitely take long cranking before a start. Or a no start condition at all.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Not necessarily, but it is more likely the cam sensor can make slow start issues. We have seen some 'intermittent' cam and crank sensors. The cam sensor won't show any issue after startup, but the crank sensor will drop shots.

One of our customers described the wiring in the BHW crank sensor as having 'biodegradable insulation'. :D I am afraid that description fits.

Move the cam position to check if the cam sensor's torsion value reads differently. If not, the cam position sensor or wiring is bad.