Torque Wrench broken, suggestions to replace

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
As the title suggests, my Craftsman Digitorque torque wrench has decided to take a permanent vacation and since Sears doesn't have the free fix or replace policy on the torque wrenches, I'm looking to replace. I do like the way the digitorque locks and overall I'm pleased with the way it works but I bought this unit quite a while back and what I'm reading on the Sears website doesn't thrill me about where the quality seems to have gone with Craftsman. I guess I'm looking for middling quality since I'm not using this professionally and I don't have unlimited funds either. I thought I'd throw this out to the local bunch, mainly because I didn't see a better fit in the forums for this topic and I don't feel like running all over to get a replacement either. Alrighty then, unleash the hounds! :p

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I have the Craftsman Microtorque versions in 1/2" and 3/8". I like low-tech. :) No problems with them.

I remember reading that some folks were pleasantly surprised by the cheap-o Harbor Freight torque wrenches. Someone took one to their place of employment where they had a machine for checking/calibrating torque, and found it to be surprisingly accurate (i.e. +/- 1 ft-lb or something) for a $10-or-so torque wrench.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
You will have to do the local translation for me, but Home Depot/Lowes (out here) sells torque wrenches. (among a host of other things) They have a better guarantee than Sears. (close to Sears old one of: if it breaks/unhappy for any reason bring it back and they will replace it). Sears makes a warranty exception for torque wrenches (90 days if I remember correctly) Those are the two places I will go to get my next torque wrenches if my 2 Sears torque wrenches give up measuring correctly. In addition, if you buy it with certain charge cards (American Express comes to mind) they put ANOTHER guarantee on it. So check out your local equivalents for the boiler plate details.

If you want to go further up the food change Snap On (Mac Tools, etc) markets a SLEW of torque wrenches, (digital, analog, SIZES) As you know there is a BIG jump in price. (9.5 x MORE)

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
ruking said:
You will have to do the local translation for me, but Home Depot/Lowes (out here) sell torque wrenches. (among a host of other things) They have a better guarantee than Sears (close to: if it breaks for any reason bring it back and they will replace it). Those are the two places I will go to get my next torque wrench if my 2 Sears torque wrenches give up measuring correctly. In addition, if you buy it with certain charge cards (American Express comes to mind) they put ANOTHER guarantee on it. So check out your local equivalents for the boiler plate details.

If you want to go further up the food change Snap On (Mac Tools, etc) markets a SLEW of torque wrenches, (digital, analog, SIZES) As you know there is a BIG jump in price.
You are paying for the Snap On truck and driver too!;)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have a GENIUS torque wrench that seems to be of fair quality.

I replaced a craftsman torque wrench with it, and like the Genius one better. Sears and I do not get along these days.

These have to be bought off of the internet, as far as I know.

I have liked ALL the GENIUS tools that I have bought, everyone. Fair price, fair quality, no complaints.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
More info here. I have a 3/8" drive Craftsman microtorque for the smaller stuff so I'm looking to replace the 1/2" drive that goes to 250 Ft/Lbs. The Snap-on woman makes the monthly rounds to the shop I work out of so I'll rummage through the truck next time I see her. She smells nice too, a marketing ploy? :p I hadn't thought of Home Depot/Lowes and brother works at the Depot, thanks for the tip! Keep 'em coming...:cool: BTW, geeze Dean how much time do you spend here? I see you here every time I'm here... hmmm, guess I'm here alot too. :cool: What's this zoiks you speak of??

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Mark of Diesel said:
More info here. I have a 3/8" drive Craftsman microtorque for the smaller stuff so I'm looking to replace the 1/2" drive that goes to 250 Ft/Lbs. The Snap-on woman makes the monthly rounds to the shop I work out of so I'll rummage through the truck next time I see her. She smells nice too, a marketing ploy? :p I hadn't thought of Home Depot/Lowes and brother works at the Depot, thanks for the tip! Keep 'em coming...:cool: BTW, geeze Dean how much time do you spend here? I see you here every time I'm here... hmmm, guess I'm here alot too. :cool:
Well GEE. Perhaps your brother would not mind doing a family discount?;)

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
"she smells nice too" ????

What the heck is that? You've stooped to sniffing snap-on sales ladies?

????

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Mark, I am pleased with my Kobalt Torque wrench purchased from Lowes.

I plan to be buying another in 1/2 drive this year to replace the Harbor Freight one I use exclusively for wheels...

Jetta2001TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
frugality said:
You could just keep buying the $80 Craftsman Microtork and treat them as disposable, and come out ahead.
True. You could also use Mark & Pray method when doing TB and save a bundle on the tools too....Paint is cheap.:rolleyes:

frugality said:
Mark is in Kalkakistan, where $15 haircuts are a splurge. :D
Care to post a picture? (of the haircut):)

TDI
I just knew you wouldn't be able to resist as soon as I saw Jetta2001TDIs' post, thanks for not letting me down Dean. :p In my defense, that was just after a particularly nasty bellypan experience and before I started getting my hair cut at Bubba's doggie and human beauty palace and party store on the outskirts of greater metropolitan Kalkakistan, home of the $5.00 flea dip for either species. :D

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
from a home depot sales guy (me): "husky" brand tools (including torque wrenches) are unconditionally guaranteed. We just got a memo about it a couple weeks ago about our new policy for husky hand tools. If you are unsatisfied or the tool fails to perform for any reason HD will exchange for a new one. If you want your money back you have to have a receipt though.

TDI
I did read that on the packaging on the Husky wrenchs I looked at today and it's really swaying me towards them. Price is reasonable (~$80.00) and there's even an included blow molded case, something I never had for the Craftsman wrench. I sure did like the way that Digitorque adjusted tho. Hey Aaron, any info on a warranty on the Kobalt wrench?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
cannot remember. maybe ill go there soon to check it out. tomorrow is busy tho.

Husky does sound like a good deal tho.

TDI
No worries Aaron, I should have time today to stop by Lowes and check them out. I'll report back later. Woke up to an inch of the white stuff, now I've gotta psych myself up for Winter again. :mad:

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Mark:

Did that 1/2" drive Craftsman really go up to 250ft/lbs? Was it the one with the 2 windows for setting ft/lbs or newton meters? I have the one like that but I think the top torque setting is only 150 ft/lbs. I really like how you set the wrench up because there is no mistaking what it's set at. If only the rest of my life was like that.

Dan

TDI
My mistake Dan, the Craftsman goes 10 to 150 Ft./Lbs. as you said. Come to think of it, I only had a couple instances where I needed a higher setting than the 150 max on it but I figure it's better to have and not need than need and not have, at least in a replacement. I agree completely about the Digitork's ease of use and positive reading although as I get older the printing on the wrench somehow gets smaller and the available light keeps getting dimmer Hmmm... ;) Guess I gotta get those prescription safety glasses sooner than later.
I also had a chance to check out the Kobalt wrench at the local Lowes and it looks like a rebadged Husky or maybe it's the other way around but all the specs appeared to be the same on both as well as the physical appearance. The Kobalt wrench has a 1 year warranty on Mfgrs. defects and 90 days on calibration accuracy. It also was ~$15.00 more.
I am going to try to get absolute confirmation on the lifetime warranty on the Husky (sure about it DCELL?) as the outer packaging says yea but the back of the operating instructions says 90 days on defects in materials and workmanship and they'll throw in the recalibration free. After 90 days to 1 year they'll repair any defect free but no recalibration. I'm thinking (hoping) Home Depot figures they will swap the wrench under their end of the warranty and they'll deal with the Mfgr. or just write it off if it's outside of the Mfgrs. warranty period for the few wrenches they get returned.
On another note, anyone ever had a torque wrench recalibrated? I've read according to Mfgrs. it should be done once a year, yeah right! :rolleyes: What about the real world?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Mark: To paraphrase, the internal memo I read said that we were to stand behind the Husky brand unconditionally because they are manufactured for us. I might be able to post a copy of it if I can find it in the giant stack of paperwork on my desk Monday. I'll let you know if I can find it.

TDI
Well, to close this thread out I'll report I went with the Husky 1/2" drive torque wrench from Home Depot. I couldn't find anyone else in the price range that would warranty the wrench for more than 1 year and that turned out to be the clincher for me. I will revisit this thread if any problems arise or even to sing the praises on down the road. Thanks for the input all. Great community we've got going here! :cool: :D

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to confirm what I posted earlier about the husky- Exchange for a lifetime, but to get your money back you need a receipt. I got a copy of the memo.

TDI
Growler said:
how much did that bad boy set you back?
It was about $10.00 less than the Kobalt model so around $80.00 with tax YMMV of course. I couldn't see any obvious differences in the two aside from the brand name printed on the handle. It is longer than my Digitorque I noticed but the head itself is roughly the same size, a consideration for me at least for torqueing that lower rear motor mount to block, cramped upside down, monkey lovin' bolt. :eek: :D Thanks again DCELL for the confirmation on the warranty. I put the reciept in a safe, easily findable place (A huge thing for me with a raging case of CRS) along with the part of the packaging that states there's a lifetime warranty on the wrench just to be sure. I'm a happy camper. :cool:

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Ive had a Husky for about six months and it seems alright. Im glad to know it exchanges so easy, thanks.
Patrick

TDI
Thanks for the link C.C.! I still like my old Craftsman enough to attempt a repair if it's cheap enough and with the price I got the new Husky for, I think I may be able to afford to get it repaired. :cool: