Torque Settings for Intake Manifold Bolts?

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
Can anyone provide me with the torque values for the intake manifold bolts? I'm about to do some pulmonary surgery on my Passat- i.e. removal of those black plaque deposits.

Thanks in advance.

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
I just did the job. The Bentley manual for my Passat says 18 ft-lbs for the manifold-to-head bolts as well as all the corrugated-exhaust-tubing flange bolts. Only 7 ft-lbs for the little exhaust cooler to intake manifold bolts (careful!).

I used a fish-weight scale on the end of my allen wrench, re-figuring for the shorter moment arm of course, to torque them (approximately). No room for a real torque wrench. Maybe others had a better solution, but this worked.

You will need an intake manifold gasket, and the top 3 of the 4 corrugated tubing flange gaskets (I re-used those because I didn't have them readily available).

One other point I failed to mention on my recent post (please read it) about pointers on this operation is that it is the ideal time to lube the EGR shaft as you can work the EGR by pushing from below with a screwdriver (after the manifold is off, of course).

Don't forget the Liquid Wrench on those manifold bolts, and good luck!

Paul
97 Passat Wagon

GANZGUT

Veteran Member
Thanks Paul. I did read your earlier post- even printed it out for that matter. Perhaps I should buy a new manifold gasket before taking it apart. The job seems do-able, but like you said, I looked at it and it is a lot of work.

-Jim