Torque app or Boost Gauge accuracy

Nathanvw92

TDI
2003 Jetta
Just wondering which is more accurate. I have both, and they read very different. I hardly ever look at my boost gauge now that I have the app. Any ideas?

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
The torque app probably reads 14.7 psi higher than your boost gauge.

This is cause by the ambient pressure at sea level (14.7psi).

Is your boost gauge mechanical or electronic? How is it hooked up?

If I understand this right, your Torque App gets its information from the OBDII port, which comes from the computer. I THINK this is showing you the REQUESTED boost, while your boost gauge will show you the ACTUAL boost. Someone else needs to verify this.

I hope that makes sense.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Torque has an offset value (-14.7) that can be used to remove the "normal" atmospheric pressure. It gets its value from the computer but I don't know which sensor the computer is looking at. More info needed from Nathan as to what he is seeing exactly.

Nathanvw92

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hello, There is a difference between the boost gauge and torque app of about 3-4 psi. Boost pressure is taken from upper intercooler pipe. I did find that I can adjust the adjusted value through the torque app. I'm sure I can adjust it to be the same, but which would be more accurate. I'm sitting at 3500ft above sea level.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sea level is 14.696 psi and at 3500 it is at 12.93 psi. That accounts for 1.766 psi and should be adjusted for in Torque settings. The rest of the deviation may be from where the two are getting their readings from.

Nathanvw92

TDI
2003 Jetta
I adjusted the torque app by the number you suggested both now the boost gauge and the app seem to be dead on. The app is slightly slower in reading the boost number, but i can live with it.

paascal

TDI
golf tdi 2001
seems like this torque app doesnt go above 23 psi... im running 25 is there a way to have it read divertly on the sensor and not calculate it from i dont know where? im running a 3 bar map

nitrohog

TDI
none yet
The app has too much lag to be terribly useful in my opinion. I ended up forking out the cash for a new south gauge and pod. It's excellent for parameters that don't change so rapidly though.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That might be due to the cheap BT dongles most use. I went through 3 of them and then bought the real one. It polls much much faster than the cheap ones I had. Sometimes my screen looks really busy when everything is constantly updating at once. I have a lot of gauges too and the more you have the more it slows down supposedly.

Last edited:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
You can turn on faster readings in the settings. I've never had an issue with the cheap dongles. Also, your phone/tablet matters too. If you're rocking a crap phone...its going to be slow.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
The app is limited to 23psi because that is what your factory MAP sensor is limited to . it cannot read any higher than that...

your separate boost gage is not limited because it is getting the actual pressure either thru a tube or a sensor that can read higher than our factory MAP sensor.

if you are boosting that high, has your Tuner suggested using a 3Bar or higher MAP sensor in place of the factory 2.5BAR MAP sensor?

Northern Mike

TDI
03 Jetta
The app has too much lag to be terribly useful in my opinion. I ended up forking out the cash for a new south gauge and pod. It's excellent for parameters that don't change so rapidly though.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk
Its almost always the cheap dongle. I have one of the elm327 counterfeit ones and it is about .3 second delay which is not too bad. Got into a proper wired (homemade) elm unit and its good to .1 of a second for logging.

I am running a decent tablet (was top unit last year).

VW Bronco

TDI
Magical TDI
Sorry to dig up a (semi) old thread.

I'm running a Parrot Asteroid Smart and run torque pro just about every time I go anywhere.

I've noticed some ridiculous inaccuracies with the boost gauge. In first gear at WOT, it read 57 psi. I can consistently get it to read above 40 if hammered on in first, and over 30 in second.

What's going on? Anyone want to point me in the right direction as to how to fix this?