Torchbeam Led 9007/HB5 light info for MK4

BoostNjuce

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi, 99 2500 ram 24v cummins, 04 XXXcursion 6.0 4x4.
Hi all : I have 02 Jetta TDI : just wanted to share info on sum led bulbs I just put in & discovered out sum stuff . I'll post pic of bulbs & burnt fuse ,etc . Anyways idk if these bulbs are to powerful or what as they r 16k lumen supposedly, anyways I wanted brighter lights , these had good reviews , bought em ,followed instructions to the T , hooked 1 light up ,CKD to see if that was working , was :) & car was not running !! hooked 2nd light up & it was not working , instructions say if that happens , to switch it to other light bulb socket & put other bulb to other socket, meaning reverse bulbs ! , I did , still no lights , checked all fuses in car , all good :) , so took out the leds , put stock halo bulb in , still no lights out of either hd light , so I looked for more info on other fuse locations , came across info where there is a fuse on top of battery , where all the wires go in under plastic cover etc etc . Pop the cover , & 1 fuse was melted :( , I did not smell anything at the time when I was doing headlights , so kinda weird , so took my other car , got fuse from auto parts store , showed em fuse , told em fuse blew putting in sum led hd lights in 02 Jetta , they said ur car did not come with LEDs & u shouldn't use them , lol.. I was thinking they might a been right as why did fuse blow ???? Then in my mind I was like **** these were supposed to work no problem , as ad for lights said no additional wiring , nothing else needed to make lights work in my car , I confirmed they fit & we're to work right in my car before I bought em...well leds r 16k lumen :O , maybe pulling to much juice .or need ballasts for them. Anyways got 2, 30 amp fuses , put new fuse in , hooked up 1 stock hd light bulb & it came on :) , hooked other stock hd light bulb in other side , came on :) . I Was like gr8 I have hd lights again :) , was thinking about sending LEDs bk to Amazon/supplier etc , but was like let me try this idea out . I put both LEDs in their sockets for hd lights , I cranked car up & let it run for about 5 seconds , hit the headlight switch & they both work, low beam, highbeam, drls :) :) !! I let car run n lights on for about 2 minutes that's all . We shall see how long they last . Don't forget to point bulbs at 3 & 9 ;) per instructions , so ur lights shine where they r supposed to ;) well I just wanted to share my experience & what I found out , so other people will not have same headache & save yall a couple $ ss & unneeded BS ;) anyways lights seem very bright n good quality for $ paid , roughly $48 .. this is the 1st pair of LEDs I ever bought , so idk how other lights compare ,etc ... I can't figure out how to post the pics of the led lights or the burnt fuse & fuse box in motor compartment sorry :( . Here is the info on lights I bought though : TORCHBEAM 9007/HB5 16K lumen led lights .. can find on a m a z o n ;)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
LED bulbs in a reflector housing is a bad idea. I've yet to come across one that didn't blind oncoming drivers.
Also - paragraphs: they're a good thing to embrace on a longer post. ;)

BoostNjuce

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi, 99 2500 ram 24v cummins, 04 XXXcursion 6.0 4x4.
Thanks for ur opinion on leds in projector housings. From what I seen & heard is some people do not install the leds right to begin with ,they do Not clock them, or there headlights were not aimed right in 1st place , or they buy really,really , cheap leds that have a crappy spread of light. On my paragraphs or lack there of , I was pretty busy when I wrote this ,but wanted to get information out here today as it was fresh on my mind . Also while writing ,had to add pertinent information into 1 paragraph or another while writing another & could not get paragraphs to flow together , so added info in each paragraph as it came to mind . Sorry if it made ur mind warp . But u & others understand what I was meaning by my post hopefully. Soo hopefully I helped someone out ;)

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Light scatter in the stock NA MkIV Jetta headlight is not the best.

This is not an issue when using the normal halogen bulbs at 700 lumens, as there is not all that much light to scatter.

When you put in much brighter LEDs, everything is brighter, including the scatter, which is glare to oncoming drivers.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Just to echo Nuje, I have yet to see LEDs in stock MkIV housings that either produce the appropriate pattern or don't "blind" other drivers. (And I agree your post if difficult to read as one run-on sentence with text-message spelling). Otherwise, I appreciate the effort.