Top speed - curious

ZREXER

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Highline
201 kph, this was what was indicated on my GPS. The car was still pulling, but the limiter shut down all the fun. The '13 Jetta was absolutely rock solid at that speed and glued to road.

Actually was surprised how quickly it got up to that speed.

montana_jeepn

TDI
13 Jetta TDI SEL Premium/NAV
I was driving a C6 Corvette (165mph) before I picked up my TDI (95mph) ....obviously an apples to oranges issue if I were to compare the two next to each other....but every time I get behind the wheel of my TDI I really really enjoy driving her. When you look at the bang for the buck, I think the Jetta TDI just wins. I miss my Vette, but I do love my TDI!

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
201 kph, this was what was indicated on my GPS. The car was still pulling, but the limiter shut down all the fun. The '13 Jetta was absolutely rock solid at that speed and glued to road.

Actually was surprised how quickly it got up to that speed.
Saw an indicated 129 on our '99 Passat on a two lane hiway in SW Montana, and aside from the fenceposts whizzing by pretty fast it was solid as a rock. At the elevation we were at (5000+ ft) I'm sure that the Jetta would be pulling harder at the top end than that V6 gasser was. Heading that way soon and if the boss falls asleep and there isn't much traffic I might find out....

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
129 MPH or KPH? So far, it's trending towards a low 120 MPH top speed from everyone's post and most indicate its limited. But the Cruise TD vs Jetta TDI article indicate it was drag limited. If it is drag limited, then down hill or with a LONG stretch, maybe you can beat 122 etc.

13vwtdi

TDI
2013 Jetta
fastest i have had my car was 123 by a garman gps and she stopped pulling around 120. And thats a 13 jetta with the dsg trans.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
My TDI pulled nicely up to 100mph to pass some Harleys last weekend. I was still accelerating in 4th gear when I got around them and let off. I will need to get out to the desert to find out where the ECU shuts me down.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
I've broken 100 a couple times but that was on a stretch of I-64 that is fairly close to a KY State Police post so I try to not do that often haha. The torque is incredible on these. I love being able to push the pedal in 6th gear going 75 and before you know it the spedo reads 95+ without breaking a sweat.

gerry100

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta sedan MT
All German cars are designed to be comfortable and solid at 100mph plus, otherwise they wouldn't sell many in the home market.

My guess is they fell pretty good right up to 125 or whatever.

Can't imagine 125 feeling good in a Mazda3, Ford focus etc

ebrobb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI/DSG
On the way home from work the other night, a guy in a Volvo turbo coupe, came up in my rearview mirror very quickly. I knew he was driving way over the speed limit on a rural 2 lane Iowa road with some pretty decent hills. The guy was driving like a jerk, maybe he had a reason to be in such a hurry, anyhow I saw it as an opportunity to 'stand on it' for a short distance. I was surprised at how quickly my Jetta gained speed, I think the other guy was too. Of course when I sped up he was irked and really tried to pass me at that point. The race was on, and my Jetta just kept pulling all the way to 110 mph. The Volvo never did get around me, not sure if he ran out of steam or nerves. I'm not sure how far we went, but I was starting to get concerned that a cop was going to be lurking over the next hill and nab us both when the other guy slowed and turned off down a gravel road. I immediately backed out of it right away and drove nice the rest of the way home. My car felt good though, very stable. I still had some pedal left so I think it would have ran up past 120 mph easily.
Also, I punched into it to pass a slow semi the other morning and was up to 85 mph almost instantly. Nice to have plenty of power to pull out and pass!
A friend of mine just bought his wife a Camry Hybrid, and has been bragging she is getting 40mpg, of course that's what it shows on the dash readout, I have asked to see the penciled out records and he can't or won't produce them. I've never been in her car, or any hybrid car for that matter, but I'm thinking they wouldn't have the top end these cars do, and I am getting 40 mpg and have yet to employ any hypermiling techniques.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
mine will hit the 210km/hr speed limiter very easily in early 5th gear....malone stage 2 didnt remove the limiter but id like to find a way

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
Yup gathering parts now. I already have the turbo I just need the vband and some stainless tube and oil feed/return lines. No clue how well it will work, but I love making things so we'll see

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
All German cars are designed to be comfortable and solid at 100mph plus, otherwise they wouldn't sell many in the home market.

My guess is they fell pretty good right up to 125 or whatever.

Can't imagine 125 feeling good in a Mazda3, Ford focus etc
I can confirm that a 2013 Audi A3 TDI (euro version with manual trans) can hit 144mph and still be driven with one hand and very little drama... It still had room to go too, but there was too much traffic to hit anything higher.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
I believe that our cars are electronically limited to about 122 mph. I know a guy who set his cruise control at 115 for over 100 miles in rural Nevada (where there is absolutely nothing, except for perfectly straight and level roads and some sagebrush (tumbleweeds). Therefore, I know for sure that they can go at least 115 mph.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. He wouldn't tell me what kind of mileage he got at 115 mph.;)
I made it up to 215kmh (133mph) on a flat stretch - didn't see what the instantaneous fuel consumption meter was telling me. I was running out of flat road so I quit trying for faster. Didn't find the governor setting (if any)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Not a MkVI, but I've done an indicated 260 km/h. Several times. Perfectly legally. On the Autobahn and on the Nürburgring. In my Audi S4 4.2 V8.

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Well, David was impressed when my wife Bea drove it. He never saw a woman with the need for speed.

But then again, she doesn't really like 'wringing them out', so she leaves it at 90% VMax.

dasAuto12

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6mt
I hit 123mph GPS confirmed in my 6-speed in stock form. 136.6mph GPS confirmed after the Malone stage 2 tune, on stock wheels and tire size. Still had some left but ran out of road (closed course of course :rolleyes:).

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Yeah sometimes I miss the Autobahn, was in Germany in the early 90's with a corvette and on the A3 doing 155mph and a golf 16v GTI flashed his lights at me to move over. I couldn't believe it he passed me like I was standing still. The fastest I've been was a Porsche Carrera twin turbo @ 302 kph roughly 188mph.

s.c

TDI
2013 Jetta
I hit 155 in my cobalt ss supercharged (not even close to being stock). My boys shriveled up since I was coming up to a nice corner so I got out of it lol. Still had plenty of throttle left to go. I never did top that car out. Fastest I have ever driven. Haven't really had a chance to top out the jetta lol

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Once I helped a stranded Motorhome to get going again in Alberta. Turned out it was a German Tourist and one of AUDI's Bosses, so - when I was in Germany he gave me one of his SPECIAL AUDI 200 (could not open the hood...). That thing drove around 300. It's a few years ago, but I'll never forget that car.
At 290 km/h I chicken out, around 230 - 240 was fine with me.

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
Yeah sometimes I miss the Autobahn, was in Germany in the early 90's with a corvette and on the A3 doing 155mph and a golf 16v GTI flashed his lights at me to move over. I couldn't believe it he passed me like I was standing still. The fastest I've been was a Porsche Carrera twin turbo @ 302 kph roughly 188mph.

Awesome! My first car was a micca red 87 16v gti.. Miss it everyday.

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
Once on a bus going to Berlin from Hamburg, the driver brought us over to the left lane to do some passing (even their buses move, trust me) and after he passed the lorry, he yanked over to the right, to which a RS6 and a 911 were battling it out. You could hear the German boys, "Mama, ein Porsche!"

..perhaps that was me too..:D

Once you see the small (to America) GTI and Golf R's passing you like you have a flat tire, you realize just how well they engineer their cars and how well the people drive. Pretty amazing. I was at a meeting a couple days back and someone brought out their new Mazda 3. It drove very nice, but just did not feel as solid once we got up to 80. I've taken my Jetta to 90 outside San Diego but nothing more. Still felt like a driver's car.

oh and by the way, that Audi above, classic car. Too bad that design is no more.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I can confirm that a 2013 Audi A3 TDI (euro version with manual trans) can hit 144mph and still be driven with one hand and very little drama... It still had room to go too, but there was too much traffic to hit anything higher.
How long did it take to get to that speed?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
I hit 155 in my cobalt ss supercharged (not even close to being stock). My boys shriveled up since I was coming up to a nice corner so I got out of it lol. Still had plenty of throttle left to go. I never did top that car out. Fastest I have ever driven. Haven't really had a chance to top out the jetta lol
Your cobalt did 155, BULLS H I T>>> no offense...:confused: I mean the corvette 2013 tops out at 175mph...

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Yea a cobalt will go 155. Those engines can make some good power.
I guess with perfect wind conditions, but with friends in the car that's probably an extra 550 pounds, I would think it need a lot of road to do it...

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
I hit 123mph GPS confirmed in my 6-speed in stock form. 136.6mph GPS confirmed after the Malone stage 2 tune, on stock wheels and tire size. Still had some left but ran out of road (closed course of course :rolleyes:).
How long did it take you to get to 136mph, distance and time...