Top side oil change which direction to park on incline

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I have a new to me 2012 TDI and want to use my Mityvac for the first time on it. My driveway has an incline to it and I am wondering if I want to park with the front end a little higher or the backend. Not sure what end of the oilpan the dipstick is on top of. Of course I can always park in front of my house on the level street if that is the best option.

Thanks,

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Back end higher, or nose down. The dip stick tube is in the front of the engine, so this is where you want the oil to settle. Also warm oil extracts a lot easier than cold.

Have Fun!

Don

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Were you going to remove the underside cover so you can do the rest of the scheduled service? An oil change is actually a small part of a scheduled service.

Your maintenance schedule tells you everything you need to do for a scheduled service.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I tried doing a topside oil change on my 04 with the nose slightly down and did not get all the oil out, next time I'm going dead level.

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Were you going to remove the underside cover so you can do the rest of the scheduled service? An oil change is actually a small part of a scheduled service.

Your maintenance schedule tells you everything you need to do for a scheduled service.
I was definitely going to read it and get everything else done, but possibly not until the next couple weekendswhen I have a bit more time.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I tried doing a topside oil change on my 04 with the nose slightly down and did not get all the oil out, next time I'm going dead level.
Neither top side oil changes or draining oil changes will get all of the oil out. The goal is just to get most of the oil out. Guys here have done testing and both methods will removed almost the exact same amount of oil. Both methods are also approved by VW.

Have Fun!

Don

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
True. I think most folks that do topside O/C's skip the rest of the recommended service.

Just my old person get off my lawn opinion.............

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I was definitely going to read it and get everything else done, but possibly not until the next couple weekends when I have a bit more time.
Probably one of the reasons I would be leary of buying a car from someone that does their own maintenance. to a lot of folks, how in depth they are in how they perform maintenance has a lot to do with how convenient and technically complex the individual tasks are.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I seem to get more oil out with the nose higher up on a slight incline. I use a 12v pump and it feels like the hose goes beyond the dip stick tube to the lower most part of the sump. The new oil doesn't turn black as fast.