TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
Ive always took veh in for oil n rotations
Till now and wasnt sure what was tool used to get oil filter out
That top cap is big enough for Lol pipe wrench thou
Id hate to snap something off , some wanna be mechanic i am
Thou in past ive alway worked on US autos and this
1.9 is not compairable. Any advice on
What im to use to rr oil filter will be much thanks ..

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
Use a pair of big channel lock pliers with a rag so you don't scratch it.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Yeah, it's plastic. You don't want to be cranking on it with plumbing tools...
except maybe a strap wrench. This is the right tool

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=507

but you can probably buy it cheaper at a local auto supply house. Be careful of the probe that sticks down from the inside of the cap. Without it there's no oil pressure and shortly after no engine. There are also two "o" rings that come with the filter that should be replaced ie: under the lip of the cap where it screws into the housing and near the tip of the probe. Pay attention to the orientation of the replacement filter. Where it's marked "TOP" fits into the cap. If its a german filter it will have "OBEN" which means "upward".

Last edited:

longhair61

TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
Thank You Both Very much. I like the strap wrench better
Thou the ones i have are to big ill have to go look. And thanks RT1 for time to explain in detail. Knuckles

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
And, going back on, since the O-ring does the sealing, it is not necessary to tighten it much more than hand tight!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Which is another reason to check out the proper tool. lets you use a torque wrench to quantify what "not much more than hand tight" is.

longhair61

TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
Ok thanks All i just bought wrong one at Napa the one i got has 15 and one i need says 14
But i got the strap tool so ill try that thou id prefer the right tool later so to get proper tork

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Been tightening mine by hand since 2003 ........ no leaks, no problems!

I've also wrestled with a number of them that were so darn tight I thought the vehicle would turn over before breaking them loose ........ I just cannot imagine using a torque wrench to tighten an oil filter cap.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I use a 1 1/4 inch socket a long extension and a stubby ratchet. Remember that when you go to tighten, bottomed out and just slightly more (1/16th turn or less) is the correct torque.

Not really much room for a strap wrench.

longhair61

TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
I know it sounds funny to torx it thou i know me and im the guy that over does it and those. Pos china crap were stuck buyn here breaks off

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I never used a torque wrench on previous cars, but they were spec'd at finger tight plus quarter turn or such.

for my TDI, I have consistently used a 3/8 inch drive torque wrench to apply the specified torque for both the filter cap and the drain plug.

I find it reassuring to do so, and not that big a deal.

my 3/8 drive has a torque scale from 10-75 foot lbs, and the 18 or 22 ft lb spec is on the lower edge of what I would use it for. a 1/2 inch drive would be too big.
a 1/4 inch would be too small.

like any tool, torque wrenches come with a little learning curve, have to keep on 0 between use, and I like to test it against a crescent wrench to validate the click happens someplace reasonable, and I can recognize it.

the reason to use a torque wrench is not to get it tight enough, but to get it just right.

I only do this every six months or so. if I did it every day, I probably would trust myself (good or bad) to judge what just right is.

Last edited:

lapse

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Golf TDI
I've used straps, channel locks, bear clawed hands, etc.. but nothing beats a socket tool that actually fits around the filter cap. I picked one up on eBay for a few bucks a few years ago.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aluminum-Oil...UDI-/291414034057?hash=item43d9a14689&vxp=mtr

74mm is the size you want.

If you're particular about it, you can even hook up your torque wrench to it, but I put mine on hand tight.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
And then there's me. I tighten it until it touches then back it off so the edge of the cap turns about 1/8 inch. My filter housing stays dry.

longhair61

TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
Thx for all your added replys. And no sarcasum like i would always find on ihub.com
Stock message boards
I used strap and boy that cap was like super glued on tho i got it free and did oil change
Alls well
Now back to my brakes. Well with car at idle engine running i put brake pedal down and now it slowly goes to floor. So earilier i took all wheels off mic out rotors and pads, they were all just fine so No leaks that i can see rez is full
It must be Master Cyl. So im looking for that now
I just need the exact part # so i get the right part
So far when i went to IDparts they show # 1J1614019 tho im not sure how to cross Ref that
And i cant take it off cuz im gonna take it to Eric in Ironwood Mi to have his R/R it and flush fluid. Wonder what a shop charges to do the swap ?

Last edited:

longhair61

TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
Ordered tool ,

I've used straps, channel locks, bear clawed hands, etc.. but nothing beats a socket tool that actually fits around the filter cap. I picked one up on eBay for a few bucks a few years ago.
Something like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aluminum-Oil...UDI-/291414034057?hash=item43d9a14689&vxp=mtr
74mm is the size you want.
If you're particular about it, you can even hook up your torque wrench to it, but I put mine on hand tight.
Thanx , i just ordered tool , lol how sweet under $5