TODAY: possible approval of proposed Diesel fix?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
vwcourtsettlement.com lists today as the date for the "preliminary approval hearing".
"What are the next steps?
Judge Charles Breyer will hold what is referred to as a preliminary approval hearing on the proposed Settlements on July 26, 2016. At this hearing, he will hear from the parties about the Settlements.
If the Judge grants preliminary approval, notice will be mailed to owners and lessees announcing the specific terms of the Settlements. At that time, owners/lessees will learn about their rights to exclude themselves, object, or comment on the Settlements as well as the options available to buyback or modify their car, or terminate their lease.
After the notice period is complete, Judge Breyer will hold another hearing, a final approval hearing, to decide whether the Judge will grant final approval to the Settlements. At the final approval hearing, the Judge will consider comments from owners/lessees on whether the Settlements are fair, reasonable, and adequate."

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
this whole process has sucked for us the customers. So disappointed in how VW has handled this from the moment they were exposed. I have a feeling that quite a few different auto manufacturers sales numbers will go up once we can actually sell our cars back to vw

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
this whole process has sucked for us the customers. So disappointed in how VW has handled this from the moment they were exposed. I have a feeling that quite a few different auto manufacturers sales numbers will go up once we can actually sell our cars back to vw
I am far from a VW fanboy and hate that they were not forthcoming with what they knew was wrong but I am happy with the way they have been handling the compensation process and communication to the affected customers. The frustrating part has been the waiting which will hopefully be over soon.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
"...over soon...?" From everything I've read, it will be many months before any vehicle is actually re-sold to VAG. 450k + vehicles involved, limited manpower to handle the transactions.

DASH

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI / 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Maybe I am in the minority but... *puts on flame suit* I just bought a second TDI because I am a FAN of the diesel and VWs, plus my Jetta was showing it's age at 263K miles.

I could care less about the scandal, I really want to rip all the emissions CRAP off of my new to me 2012 NMS Passat and tune it but can't because of my warranty. I would love to improve my fuel economy like my MKV Jetta. Funny when this whole thing happened I wasn't involved, then I go and buy a car that was affected and now I still could care less.

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
If they still sell TDI, I'm still on board. If VW only offers gassers and e-turds, I'm out. No intention to part with my car, since I have not been harmed in any way, and it still meets my needs better than any available alternative . . . and if I could buy another one now, I would not hesitate.

- Tim

mtbsteve

TDI
"...over soon...?" From everything I've read, it will be many months before any vehicle is actually re-sold to VAG. 450k + vehicles involved, limited manpower to handle the transactions.
Yes, understood. I am using the word "hopefully" in front of that but my definition for that word in this context means "it better not take as long as they are stating". My initial belief from the communication last month was that they would start in October 2016. Make sure you sign up online at vwcourtsettlement.com and hope to be one of the first in line. There are a lot of TDIs around Boston but also a lot of VW dealers so hopefully this won't drag out the entire 2 years.

From vwdieselinfo.com:
"Individual class members will now receive notification of their rights and options under the agreement. Volkswagen will begin the settlement program immediately after the Court grants final approval to the class settlement, which is anticipated on October 18, 2016."

I have filled out what I can so far on the vwcourtsettlement.com page and because I have the title of my car, hope the process will go faster for me. I am hoping to wrap this up by sometime in November but am trying to adjust my mindset for a Q1 2017 completion to be on the safe side. Here is the rough process map: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/Process Overview - Buyback and Early Lease Termination.pdf

tdiatlast: Are you thinking about going a plug-in hybrid route given your Nissan Leaf experience or continue on with the TDI or some other option? Based on your posts I fully expect you are weighing every pro/con and checking numbers as to what makes the most sense.

Last edited:

scottysize

TDI
Passat SE/Sunroof

mtbsteve

TDI
Per news report I saw this morning VW is the #1 automaker in the world right now as they just beat Toyota despite the Dieselgate scandal:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/07/28/volkswagen-toyota-worlds-largest-automaker/87652000/

So TDI owners who take the buyback may or may not go to another brand for a replacement vehicle...
After speaking with a dealer while on a test drive the other day they mentioned that they have seen TDI owners coming in (Ford store nearly across from a VW store) and at least one "couple year old" Jetta TDI owner buying a new car and parking the TDI. The story was that they were having other issues and just didn't feel like paying for them (guessing they were over mileage for the warranty). I feel that is extreme although if I was faced with a large repair I might be compelled to do the same. It seems the only rule in regards to vehicle condition on trade in is that it is still able to drive under its own power using the original engine (check citation below for more details). Feel free to park anywhere in the parking lot now, dings, scratches or worse are fine and do not impact value. Anyone up for TDI demolition derby? Just kidding, although based on the statement below as long as it was running prior to 6/28/16, it would be allowed.

from tdicourtsettlement.com exclusions from buy back rule :
Owners whose Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle (1) could not be driven under the power of its own 2.0-liter TDI engine on June 28, 2016, or (2) had a branded title of assembled, dismantled, flood, junk, rebuilt, reconstructed, or salvage on September 18, 2015, and was acquired from a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015;

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I wasn't aware that they had opened their registration function on the settlement web site. Thanks for that info in this thread. I've just registered both of mine. The Jetta is definitely going back (too many problems that I don't want to fix), while the Passat is a maybe.

If I do replace the Passat, it's only because I've been wanting to get back into a small SUV again. I miss my Tiguan, but if VW doesn't have a firm date and pricing for the new Mexican Tiguan or Tennessee CrossBlue, I'll be jumping to either Subaru (Forester) or Mazda (CX-5).

The registration function gave an estimated buyback date of Nov 1. It will be interesting to see if they can meet that timetable.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
If I do replace the Passat, it's only because I've been wanting to get back into a small SUV again. I miss my Tiguan, but if VW doesn't have a firm date and pricing for the new Mexican Tiguan or Tennessee CrossBlue, I'll be jumping to either Subaru (Forester) or Mazda (CX-5)...
My guess is that if you drive them back-to-back, it'll be an easy decision.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
My 2013 Passat is most likely going back. It looks like getting within $1500 of what I paid for it 3 years and 30k miles ago is a "no brainer". This appears to be a generous gesture on the part of VW and I'll consider another diesel or electric VW when they become available. Electric looks enticing in the future. Problem with full electric is that only Tesla is building and planning more rapid charging stations for travelers. Around 200 miles is the limit for current battery technology.

Last edited: