To clip or not to clip a Coolant Temperature Sensor Plug 2006 New Beetle 1.9

V7o7

TDI
2006 1.9 Beetle , 2004 2.0 Passat
To clip or not to clip - Replacing a Coolant Temperature Sensor Plug 2006 New Beetle 1.9 TDI
I am looking at the plug for the Coolant Temperature Sensor for 2006 New Beetle 1.9 that needs to be replaced, and it needs to be replaced. I bought the Plug Housing at the dealer and I made a release tool from a paper clip ....but.. somehow I am thinking instead of releasing the wires from the broke plug IN the Beetle that maybe I should just cut the wires about inch behind it and replace them into the new housing on my bench then solder and shrink it back. Any thoughts ??? Which way do you do it? Thoughts ?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Welcome to TDIClub!

Whatever way you try to fix those wires, VW recommends to not solder, but rather use the crimp/shrink things as seen here:
http://4130-products.com They are supposed to have glue infused so you "heat shrink" them after crimping and they seal from moisture.
This only applies (IMO) to wires that carry signal vs. straight voltage (like the GP harness on the VE engines).
The CTS wires will definitely be carrying signals. Avoid solder if at all possible.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Release the pins. with no pins in the new housing, what would you solder to? Except for inside components, solder is not used on cars for a good reason. It is prone to cracking from vibration.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Forgot to say, though what I would do is get that broken harness out since you have to anyway, then use something better than a paperclip to release the wires from inside it. Yeah, try not to cut any wires if possible.