TLC for the Golf, clutch/suspension questions?

bryanmabbott

TDI
'02 VW Golf Manual; '13 Touareg TDI
I have a 02 Golf with a manual at 232k miles and wanted to give it some TLC/new life. I just finished the timing belt a couple weeks ago if you remember that thread. So anyways, I'm looking to update the suspension and have the clutch installed.

1st Question: Is this a good clutch?
I'm looking for quiet (no clutch chatter) and durability but able to hold the torque when I'm accelerating onto the freeway.
-South Bend Stage 1 clutch kit with 17lb SMF *part #K70316 Rally. In 2009 (~80k miles), my dad upgraded the car with the Kerma 150hp package which included:
-Garret 17/49 VB turbo
-Turbo adapter + hardware/gaskets
-Kerma stainless steel turbo oil supply line
-Fratelli Bosio Power Plus 764 injector nozzles
-3 Bar MAP
-Q loader tuning software, but tuned for the stock clutch as my dad wanted to keep the stock clutch until I learned how to drive a stick in 2010.

2nd Question: Is the clutch install TDI specific?
I know that the flywheel has a stamp to indicate when the crank is at TDC. I want to have the VW/Audi shop that did my timing belt do the job if only it is not TDI specific, the TDI guru in Phoenix is always busy.

3rd Question:Is this a good suspension set up?
I was thinking Bilstein TC comfort with the Audi TT bushings/GTI mounts and ball joints from Boraparts. I do mostly interstate/highway cruising so I'm looking for comfort (but not mushy) for long freeway drives but at least handles corners with spirit, not race car like. I do have 15" wheels and I sometimes load up the car with 4 people and luggage for travel.

Thanks for the help, I know it's a lot of info but I figured it's better to ask than to just install and not like it.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
a 17lb flywheel will chatter for sure.

I'm partial to a LUK 17-050 clutch kit but there are differing opinions on it. I've always been satisfied and it's perfectly quiet.

You could also go with a Sachs Quiet Clutch Kit. I've never run 1, but they're supposed to be good.

A clutch install is a clutch install

Yeah, that should be fine. I'd probably skip the upgraded bushings if you're really only after comfort.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
1) So it looks like you have Kerma's 150hp package installed but the Tune is limited thus not taking full advantage of the aftermarket components that were installed because the clutch has to be upgraded still.
I would suggest this clutch with the 22lb flywheel ...
http://www.kermatdi.com/silent-design-sbc-stage-2-endurance-5-speed-with-single-mass-flywheel/
....and then contact Kerma and he will then send you the proper tune, no charge, to fully realize the potential of the 150hp package. :D
You may need to also replace the rear main seal if it shows signs of seepage, as well as the clutch fork and especially the pivot pin are also often worn.
note - the LUK 17-050 will not handle your potential torque!
Talk to the guys at Kerma....I find them great to deal with!

2) The tdi clutches are basically the same to install as gas ones.

3) Many people are happy with Bilstein TC's...personally I like the original vw struts and shocks......affordable, last longer and give a firm comfortable ride, IMO. Springs can tend to sag or crack over time too.
The tt lca bushings are an excellent choice...tighter feel to steering without any neg consequences.

You are going to love this car! :)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Another clutch option to look in to (from a Vendor on this site) is the DC clutch.