Tires Selection for Modded TDI

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I need a set of tires in the near future for the 02 TDI wagon. I know that everyone will have an opinion, but I would at least like to narrow down my search to some tires to consider and some to avoid. I am in TN so I don't really care about winter driving and such because I will just park the car if the weather is bad.

It has a 17/22, 11mm pump, injectors, etc. so it is making decent power. Haven't dynoed the car yet, but based on what similar setups have done it should make around 180hp and 300ft/lb at the wheels. I also drive 30-35 miles each way every day to work.

I am looking for something that will hook decently with my power, but will also return a long tread life, great full-life performance, minimal road noise and decent fuel economy without breaking the bank.

I was considering a LRR tire such as the Ecopia or Energy Saver - how well do these put down power to the ground?

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
Might be worth letting us know what size wheels/tires you are looking for.

LLR and 300 ft/lbs may be fighting each other.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Stock is 195/65/15

I would change size a bit if there are no negatives to doing this. I know that sometimes bumping up a size will open up more tire selections and occasionally (rarely) save a few bucks too.

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I would suggest going with wider wheels. Going to a 6.5" or 7" lightweight wheel/tire combo will suit your desires.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'm trying to keep the car stock looking so I would really prefer to keep my stock wheels or to possibly go with a slightly different OEM wheel.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I need a set of tires in the near future for the 02 TDI wagon. I know that everyone will have an opinion, but I would at least like to narrow down my search to some tires to consider and some to avoid. I am in TN so I don't really care about winter driving and such because I will just park the car if the weather is bad.

It has a 17/22, 11mm pump, injectors, etc. so it is making decent power. Haven't dynoed the car yet, but based on what similar setups have done it should make around 180hp and 300ft/lb at the wheels. I also drive 30-35 miles each way every day to work.

I am looking for something that will hook decently with my power, but will also return a long tread life, great full-life performance, minimal road noise and decent fuel economy without breaking the bank.

I was considering a LRR tire such as the Ecopia or Energy Saver - how well do these put down power to the ground?
Nokian Z-line? Though, you'll need 225/45r17 wheel/tire combo (OE options are available).

It is LRR, but... not the long tread life... it is a summer tire after all.

You should also consider a limited slip differential so that the torque goes from the wheel that slips to the wheel that grips

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I was considering an LSD down the road, but I would also be doing a 6 speed swap with that in all likeliness.

Not trying to go any bigger than a 16" wheel because I know a heavy (read larger) wheel will cause mileage to decrease. Plus it is a wagon and a like it to blend in instead of looking like some punk kid drives it since I drive it so much.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I was considering an LSD down the road, but I would also be doing a 6 speed swap with that in all likeliness.

Not trying to go any bigger than a 16" wheel because I know a heavy (read larger) wheel will cause mileage to decrease. Plus it is a wagon and a like it to blend in instead of looking like some punk kid drives it since I drive it so much.
It would be very difficult to get a jack of all trades tire that you want... with either 195/65r15 or 205/55r16

you will have to make a compromise somewhere.

if you want to maximize the dry grip with LRR, then you need to sacriface NVH and life. There are summer tire options with LRR for 205/55r16 tires.

if you're willing to sacriface dry grip and handling, then it opens up a lot more options for LRR + low NVH + high tread life warranty and able to get the 15" tire option

you have to make your choice on what you're willing to sacriface.

Last edited:

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I like my bridgestone potenza re90as pole position 205/65/15
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...a+RE960AS+Pole+Position&partnum=065HR5RE960PP

With the stock engine and automatic transmission they lasted about 50k miles. On my second set with the 5speed and power mods I will get just over half that. I drive them hard through the mountains as summer tires. Quiet with decent grip. I will probably get a third set.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm running 205/55r16's with similar mods to you. I'm committed to my wheels but next time it's going to be 225/50r16. Traction is an issue, especially in the wet. My current tire is the Michelin Pilot Exalto. I have nothing bad to say about them other than the price. They have pretty much all the qualities you described. LRR and traction are mutually exclusive though, IMO.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
I love my Pirellis! Or however they're spelled :p

Just look for sales on tirerack. I got my wheel and tire combo for an amazing price with free shipping.

Last edited:

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
Continental purecontact seems to get great reviews. That's what my next set will be. I'd also look for a set of 16" wheels. I put a set of gti wheels on mine and didn't lose any fuel economy. The wheels are the same weight as the stock 15" and tires are about 2lb heavier. Responsiveness and traction has definitely improved.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I think it's odd that you are looking for a LRR tire for a car with a modified engine... most people are willing to compromise 1-2 mpg for a better handling tire. With your modifications you probably can't get the tires to stick until third gear!

I switched from stock OEM conti tires to GLI (225/40R18 Dunlop SP Sport 01's) and only lost 2-3 mpg.
If I were you, I would look at a set of light weight aftermarket wheels in a 16-17" size and go with a tire like the Hankook Ventus V12 which is a great all around performer. MPG difference will be negligible but the handling differences will be night/day.

dieselnewbie

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
If I can chime in here I'd say that going to at least a 16" wheel might make sense - especially if you're upgrading your brakes in the future. Bringing this up due to thoughts I've been thinking with my (similar) setup as yours. I'd originally wanted to keep my factory 15" wheels, but found that that's not possible with a big brake setup. Just my .02, but if you want to go fast you might also want to stop fast...

ArminTDI

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon
Well depends on what your looking for. If its grip and traction your looking for go with Nittos. Otherwise the tires I've used and liked are Falken's though i only get 30k out of them driving aggressively. I also live in TN so for me if you want grip and more then tire life go with Nittos; however, if you want a good combination of grip and long life go with Falken.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Summer tires on our Passat are Conti Extreme DW. They stick very well, are amazing in the rain, and had no effect on fuel mileage. It is the first season with them so I can't comment on longevity. However, they are not available in 15" sizes. I'm running 205/55-16s.

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Summer tires on our Passat are Conti Extreme DW. They stick very well, are amazing in the rain, and had no effect on fuel mileage. It is the first season with them so I can't comment on longevity. However, they are not available in 15" sizes. I'm running 205/55-16s.
I agree, I have them on 18" as 225s and stick very very well. I do however have minor milage hit due to 18". 30km/h on ramps can be taken at 100km/h without any tire squeal.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have an '02 wagon, similar mods. I've had many different tires on it, both 15" and 16"

Truth is there aren't 15" tires available that allow you to use the performance your car is capable of. I have a set of Kosei K1 wheels that are 15x7, and used to run Bridgestone Pole Position A/S, 215/60-15, which are the same diameter as stock. Those worked pretty well, but are NLA. Right now I have a set of Fusions on those wheels that I bought mostly for running in the wet on the track. Haven't been on the car in a while.

I have Avus 1 15" wheels on the car now, with 195-65/15 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires. Those are good, but you can overwhelm them pretty easily in lower gears. Also NLA. Don't know of a tire that's equally grippy in that size. There are no summer tires available in the stock 15" size, AFAIK.

I've run Falken Azenis on 16s, 225/50-16. Those are great tires, get a little greasy on the track when they heat up (better for autocross) but also NLA, AFIAK. Used Kumho MXs for a while which I liked, but get noisy fast.

I have a set of 16x7 Motegi Traklites (12 lbs.) which I used for the 16" tires, those have slicks on them now. But next Spring I may get some 205/55-16 tires for them, probably Dunlop Direzzas. I have those on my Miata and have been happy with them.

If you want to keep the car OE looking I'd suggest getting either some Le Castellettes or Montreal II wheels with 205-55/16s.

Here's a couple photos of my car with different wheels/tires.

Koseis:

16" OZ Ultraleggeras with Kumho MXs

At the track with Motegis:

Avus 1s and dirty (dog in car, too)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I love my Pirellis! Or however they're spelled :p

Just look for sales on tirerack. I got my wheel and tire combo for an amazing price with free shipping.
I love these wheels and they look awesome on the golf, but how the heck do you keep it CLEAN?

That's my dilemma. I like the look but it takes so much to stay on top of the damn brake dust.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I've always chosen more 'open' (fewer spokes) designs just because of the cleaning issue. I love that look though like IBW's OZs and those above. I'd be scouting for special wheel (or other) brushes that could get in and out of the smaller spaces. With the right tools, cleaning shouldn't be too bad. Though no longer available, these are my SSR Comps @ 16x7 and 11 lbs. ea.

'12TDIJetta

TDI
2012 TDI Jetta
No, the Motegis are 5x100.
So the bolt pattern on your wagon is 5x100?

I'm interested in picking up some motegi's for their lightweight properties. I found a guy selling some 5x114's but I'd have to use wobble bolts to make that work and I can't say I feel comfortable with that.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Thanks for the tips, I am leaning more toward a summer tire with decent performance. If the weather gets bad I will simply work from home and leave the car parked so I have no use for all seasons or snow tires.

I think that the Le Castellettes are ugly.

I do like the Montreal II's though, what did these come on?