Tires for lots of gravel use

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I figured this would be the best place to ask this question as it is neither an upgrade, nor generation specific.

I drive a lot of gravel road. Of my 140 mile daily round trip I am on gravel for a minimum of 15 miles, this is just if I do not have to make a run back into town for something. At any rate, I am going to be in need of some tires, something that will hold up better to the gravel. I just started a new job, which puts me driving more gravel. The current tires, Granada Touring somethings, only have about 30K miles and are shot, big time. I have though about raising my car, which now would be a great time to get the larger tires, but at the same time I need to keep my MPG up. If I do raise it then I will go with a taller tire, likely something with a little more aggressive thread. If I keep it stock height then I really need something that will wear good on the gravel.

What do you all have that has treated you well?

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Hi, I'm a farmer who uses his 2000 golf as a work vehicle driving a lot of gravel roads (and fields).
I raised my golf about 1- 1 1/2 inches front and back by installing wagon sprinngs in the rear and auto springs with a 10mm spacer(from VR6) on the front and a defender skid plate.
I've also installed a peloquin limited slip differential, not really necesary but this car can go almost anywhere!
As far as tires go I've tried many different types and sizes over the years.
I now go with good quality used snow tires in the summer and high quality new Hakapalita R snows in the winter size P195 R65-15.
The snows wear quickly in the summer but provide excellent traction on all surfaces and last till winter comes.
I have tried different sizes and found that stock end up working as well as anything.
Good used snows can usually be picked up pretty cheap in the spring.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Thanks for the idea. I am not sure that buying used snow tires will be the way to go for me though. They seem to catch a higher price here as they are not too often advertised until late fall, plus the added expense of having tires installed and balanced every year.

The research continues.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Get on the phone with TireRack or one of the other major tire dealers and ask one of the experts.