Tired of replacing ebrake cables - what should I cover them with?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
It seems like every other year (winter) I am replacing ebrake cables on the A4 because the sheathing is cracked and water gets in and freezes them up. Road debris, those stupid "wire" hangers, etc do a number on them.

I am looking for a better solution. This time I am going to encase them in a rubber hose (nice thick vacuum hose or something) and leave a slit facing down so they don't get moisture to freeze in it.

Anyone have any better ideas?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
huh, I missed this one and my parts connection didn't tell me about these.

Thanks!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
This doesn't include the new fatter clips ,does it?

Bran Diezel

Veteran Member
TDI
On my 5th TDi - 2003 ALH 5spd Wagon
I wonder about getting a box of say 3/4" heater hose and feeding them through that so far... Might be worth a shot. Attaching them to the bottom of the car may require some finessing.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
when i install new parking , I squezze sysntehtic grease inside them and wwork them in and out to
helps keep the moisture away

my problem has been the rear calipers sticking , now I need to replace two more

macoombi

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI
I replaced mine 3 years ago when I got the car and I've had no problems and they love to use salt here. I bought my parts from ID parts. If I have to do it again I'd go with that heavy duty set that IndigoBlueWagon linked.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've been maintaining several A4s for the past 6 years so I'm not sure how long they are lasting but definitely not long enough.

I'm going to put some 3/8" fuel line on it and see how that does. I've already received the smaller ones otherwise I'd use the fatties.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
stop using non-original cables! I used to change them all the time in my 02, but installed the updated cables from VW on my grey 04 (they're thciker for some reason) and never touched them again

Jobber parts are great and all, but some are lesser quality