Tire & Wheel Size

Scottybbb

TDI
2011 Touareg Executive
Just purchased 2011 Touareg Exec. TDI. Love it! Just noticed that it has 18" tires/wheel and the door placard shows it should be 275/45R20XL. Does anyone know why previous owner would change size and do you suggest going back to original as stated on placard? Thanks
Also, this vehicle produces an extreme amount of brake dust. Suggestions on best brake pads and rotors to go with? Thanks,

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Just purchased 2011 Touareg Exec. TDI. Love it! Just noticed that it has 18" tires/wheel and the door placard shows it should be 275/45R20XL. Does anyone know why previous owner would change size and do you suggest going back to original as stated on placard? Thanks
Also, this vehicle produces an extreme amount of brake dust. Suggestions on best brake pads and rotors to go with? Thanks,
Better ride, cheaper tires. And mine gives off dust. But it stops better with these pads.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Skinny tire height makes a harsher ride and a better chance of tire failure if you run rough roads. If you stay on normal roads you can go back to the low profile dimensions if you choose. I have 19 in wheels on my 2016 and like the ride.

Rocket

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
What would be the smallest size rim that can be used? I just drove the executive trim with 20" rims and the ride sucks balls. If I buy one, I definitely want to get smaller rims with higher profile tires...

Reactions: jrm

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I have the LUX 2016 as I stated the ride is very good with 19"s. I have read many people up north run 17's during the winter if they have a lot of snow to deal with. Visibly you can see a lot of difference between 20 and 19 wheels.
The key thing with these all wheel drives is everything must be the same with tires including wear. If you have more than about 15K miles on the tires and have an unrepairable flat you should buy new tires all around.

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
275/45R20XL tires will suck in the snow and more then likely why they were changed

Reactions: jrm

Capt.Aidan

TDI
2015 Touareg 3.0 TDI Exec
More than likely for ride comfort. The profile on the OE Spec is significantly stiff, and can be pretty uncomfortable on bumpy roads, a recent trip to Montreal was absolutely brutal on my 16' execline with stock wheels/tires.

As Showdown mentioned, there is a very noticeable difference visually when sizing down to 19s.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Yup, as others mentioned the ride quality is really bad. Low profiles also handle awful when more than 80% wore out as they begin to pull in ruts and wander all over the road and transmit alot of road noise into the cabin