Tire Size

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
The 2015 Golf Sportwagen I bought very recently has 18 inch tires. I’m much more accustomed to the MK4’s 15-inch, but my understanding is that this size won’t fit the new car.

How much or how little are mpg results affected by tire size?

Thank you.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
My MK4 runs 15" in winter and 17" in summer. I haven't measured any difference in fuel economy, but that could be because smaller tires are compensating for winter blend fuel.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Could well be. I’ve read that smaller tires are better for winter. My car also came with four mounted 16-inch Nokian Hakkapelitta R3s. I don’t go to Vermont much during winter and have never had a set of dedicated snows. I prefer hybrids for severe weather service like the Toyo Celsius.

I’m trying to sell the four snows. Should I hang in to them?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I run dedicated winter (not snow) tires because temperatures where I live are consistently below 7C (45F) in winter. Summer tires have considerably reduced grip at those temperatures, and I prefer to switch rather than run a compromise tire year round.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But the hybrid tires with the mountain peak symbol can handle moderate snow and ice very well. And they are year round tires.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe. But unless you live in Vermont, Alaska or Minnesota, they can handle the snow very well. Much, MUCH better than normal all season tires.

Maybe I’ll keep the Nokians.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
For whatever it's worth, my Mk7 Golf came with 16's. I can't say if 15's would work but you've got some room to step down from 18's for sure. I run 17's now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
15's fit fine. Here's my car with my newly added 15s.

Not on this car (because I don't plan to drive it much in Winter) but on my MKIVs I have Michelin Cross Climate IIs and Nokian WR-G4s. Both all seasons with a severe winter rating. I haven't use the Nokians to speak of in winter, but they're a great all season. And the Michelins have been on my Wagon for 2+ years. They're good in the snow, and perform very well in dry and rain. And no FE hit.

Given the diminishing amount of snow we now get in eastern MA, I think these are a good option. Unless you drive up north regularly, I don't think dedicated snows are needed here any longer.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have Toyo Celsius on two others. Big believer in these hybrid tires.

Would/could tires smaller than 18 inches increase fuel economy? If so, how?

Last edited:

oldsoul

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2000 New Beetle Non-TDI: 2013 Grand Caravan, 1994 Buick Regal (for sale), 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Here's my experience with a deleted mkvi Jetta sedan. I've run 17's, 16's, and 15's. Tires from 235 down to 205 wide. I've seen a bigger change in MPG's from outside temp changes than tire/wheel combos. I see temps from around 90 in the summer to -40 in the winter, so temp range is pretty extreme in my case. I run true snow tires in the winter as well. Still temps affects economy more.

Short answer to this question is: go with what you like, and suits your needs. The impact on economy, simply, is too small to be a concern.

That said, if economy is your ultimate goal, then go with the lightest, narrowest combination you can. Generally, this will mean small wheels, big sidewalls, and pretty narrow tread. I would warn against going too narrow as safety and performance WILL suffer at some point.

I have found that going with the smallest stock wheel size, usually the size of your spare, and the appropriate tire size (you can find that at https://www.wheel-size.com among other places) will get you the best balance.