tire size help

boise outlaw

TDI
2004 VW Jetta Wagon GLS
I'm trying to stuff some bigger tires under my 2004 Jetta Wagon and have settled on a set of 16" wheels with a 25mm spacer (5x100 to 5x4.5" lug pattern). The 16's have 235/70r16 tires on them and definitely do not fit, I can hardly turn them before i run into clearance issues. If anyone with could point me to the correct tire size it'd be great!

option #2 is to keep these tires and cut/flare the fenders.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The stock 15" Mk4 tires are 195/65/15, so if you go to 16" rims, you need 205/55/16 tires to fit and keep the speedometer/trip/odometer calibrated properly.

MrVermin

SledDawg2

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Gps

The stock 15" Mk4 tires are 195/65/15, so if you go to 16" rims, you need 205/55/16 tires to fit and keep the speedometer/trip/odometer calibrated properly.

MrVermin
I looked into this issue (speedo accuracy). I borrowed a family member's GPS directions gadget. My speedo was reading about 2.5 miles less than actual. With the tires I have now installed my adjusted speed is about .25 less than actual.

My trip meter has always been reading weird. The odometer in the ECU is the same as my miles reading on my cluster.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I looked into this issue (speedo accuracy). I borrowed a family member's GPS directions gadget. My speedo was reading about 2.5 miles less than actual. With the tires I have now installed my adjusted speed is about .25 less than actual.

My trip meter has always been reading weird. The odometer in the ECU is the same as my miles reading on my cluster.
Weird numbers, according to the numbers the stock 195/65/15 tires will make 807 revolutions per mile, while the 235/70/16's you have now will have 697 revolutions per mile and should put your speedo out so that if it reads 60mph, you are actually doing about 69mph.

But then again, we have to take into account that the Mk4 has an issue where the speedo will read about 2-3mph faster that you are actually traveling on stock tires.... ahhh my head.... I'm gonna go sleep this off....

MrVermin

boise outlaw

TDI
2004 VW Jetta Wagon GLS
not too worried about an inaccurate speedo right now, just want some bigger meats in there. I've seen a rabbit build where he ran 29's but had to flare the fenders which is why I was considering as an option.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5188491-Non-Stanced-Rabbit/page11

I feel like this is the "point of no return" with this build, if i can fit a 28" with no extra work then I'd much rather go that route then do a ton of extra body work to fit 29's

boise outlaw

TDI
2004 VW Jetta Wagon GLS
... I just noticed in that build thread he had to modify the control arms to move the tire forward. So i probably wont be going with that option.