Tire Reviews

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Have to replace the tires on the Jetta Sportwagen and am wondering about Falken 912 vs Falken 452 vs Nitto NeoGen.

Anyone running these? I am liking the reviews of the latter two, and am not needing all seasons (912s are).

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I had an experience with the Falken ZE512 (previous gen to the 912). While the tires had generally good traction, treadwear wasn't great, and I found the sidewall very soft. Apparently they have improved the sidewall in the 912, but I've read enough reviews to keep me away.

Never heard of Nitto, but seems like a decent tire. Strictly a summer tire, and I'd be curious to see what their treadwear rating is like.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks John, I am not liking the 512 much, the 912 would not be my favourite (I prefer the 452 or Nitto - US made). or Nexen N3000s like are on the sedan.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
My last set was Falken 512 while my work buddy had 912, John is correct in saying traction was great for first half of its life but it starts to show its weakness very soon after especially in wet/damp condition. Also treadwear is terrible, it is no where near the listed #s. Anyhow after some research we both went with Pirelli P4, I paid ~$560 all-in for my set. This tire is rated #3 under Standard Touring All-Season at Tire Rack, for this price I think that is an ok choice for my driving style.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks for the link, I see they have full surveys for all the tire 'types'. not looking for all seasons (winter tires in winter)

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Same here, I have winter tires as well and will only run these P4 in summer. That's why I said the 512/912s were no good consider I got them June 06 and they're no good after 6 summers and I did not drive that much (ie: road trip) with them.

TDIkev

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Baltic Green Jetta 5 Spd
I had the 912's. The traction was ok when the tires were new. As they got older the traction got horrible. Wet traction was the worst. I put my snows on in the middle of October because it was scary driving wih them on. I have Michelin pilot exalto's on now. There's a $70 rebate on now, not sure when it ends. The tire came highly recommended by a friend that races cars. When I asked him what kind of tire he would recommend he said you can't go wrong with Michelin.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Michelin might be great but they want an arm or leg or your 1st born for a set of 4 even with the $70 rebate.

Fred, what I forgot to mention is Pirelli is offering $40 rebate for P4 and $60 on the P6 if you purchase a set of 4.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
I run 205/55/16, a quick search for Pilot Exalto A/S in that size will cost me $730++ and it is listed #1 pick at TR for high performance all season tire. Don't get me wrong, this seems to be great tires but just too rich for my driving style.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
I was wondering why the P4 was not coming up while searching; not available in my size.
Arrr... you must be running 225/45/17

How about Conti Extreme DWS for $720, rated #2 on TR for ultra high perfermance or their #1 rating Bridgestone at $840.
http://www.simplytire.com/tires17.html This shop has great review on RFD, that's where my buddy got his set of P4.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
looking on Vortex, I can get a brand new set of Contis ON VISION RIMS NO LESS, for 849$ shipped. No mounting, no balancing...sheesh.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I too am in need of some rubber, 225/45/17. I read somewhere that someone recommended Kumho Ecsta 4x. Decent price for rubber and good wear number. Anyone else have experience with this tire?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I have a set of like new 225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid tires that I bought a couple of years ago. The plan was to instal them on a set of Audi TT wheels I also bought around the same time. I never got around to installing them and am now considering selling them as I am not fond of the 17" wheels anymore. I must be getting old because I would prefer the comfort of the 16's I had than the style & handling of the 17's I am currently running.

Anyway, if you are ineterested in these tires, I will sell them to you for a good price.:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Bridgestone/Potenza+G019+GRID/121780

Last edited:

ik0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
Fred,
If you're looking for a good summer tire, call some CT's and see if they have any General-Exclaim UHP's left... They have great reviews on TR (I think they're rated #2 behind the Conti Extreme ContactDW, but have far more reviews than the conti...).
I had a WORN down set last year and liked them, so I picked up a new set this year, they are discontinued now, but if you can find a CT with a set of 4 they will strike you a deal, because they want/need to get rid of them since they are no longer being made...
I think I paid $120/tire which was 30% off?
Brett

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fred,
If you're looking for a good summer tire, call some CT's and see if they have any General-Exclaim UHP's left... They have great reviews on TR (I think they're rated #2 behind the Conti Extreme ContactDW, but have far more reviews than the conti...).
I had a WORN down set last year and liked them, so I picked up a new set this year, they are discontinued now, but if you can find a CT with a set of 4 they will strike you a deal, because they want/need to get rid of them since they are no longer being made...
I think I paid $120/tire which was 30% off?
Brett
cheers Brett!

EDIT: my local CT has 'em alright, for $174.99.

Last edited:

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
I might be a few hours late already (holy moly), but I have the 912s and was chuckling reading that others found the same experience that I do.

When brand new, they're impressively quiet, traction is not bad, but as soon as there's water on the road they're a bit of a concern. Evacuation of water is great, but traction to the pavement definitely is not.

When they age a little, traction isn't good either, wet traction is worse, and they wear pretty quickly. Good thing I didn't pay for 'real' tires.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Not that you need to hear it again, but same experience here with the Falken 912's: Not good.

Good grip initially (very soft rubber), but they wear out too fast and become dangerous. My winter tires last longer than these.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Any thoughts on Pirelli P4's ?
I'm in the same boat shortly and read mixed reviews 1010 tires, as with anything I'm sure.
P205/55/R16 for $114 at Costco in Cambridge

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ik0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
cheers Brett!

EDIT: my local CT has 'em alright, for $174.99.
I was just at the CT at Sunrise Centre in Kitchener, I noticed they had a rack of them (random sizes) and they were all marked down at least 30%.
Maybe you can get your store to call and price-match?

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Canadian Tire's been good to us, if you buy on sale. They've got a good selection, are all over the country, and repair punctures on their tires for free. The hard part is getting what you want on sale.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Canadian Tire's been good to us, if you buy on sale. They've got a good selection, are all over the country, and repair punctures on their tires for free. The hard part is getting what you want on sale.
Just make sure they don't damage your rocker panels when it falls off their hoist ;)
Ask me how I know...

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just make sure they don't damage your rocker panels when it falls off their hoist ;)
Ask me how I know...

you had better not tell us it was the new car...that should never see the inside of a Canadian Tire garage!

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Haha, no Fred that will never happen ;)
Was another car