Tips to 'time' sunroof motor?

2000BlueJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Replaced my sunroof today because a slider on my old one was broken. Feels nice to have a working sunroof after 2 years :D

Here's my question though. Is there a certain way to time the motor with the switch settings? Right now if the switch is on the rear pop up setting, its closed. 'Closed' setting and its half way back. 'Open' setting and its all the way back like it should be. I've tried having the sunroof closed pulling the motor out and cycling it open and close then putting the motor back in. Didn't work. Did the same thing while open, cycle close then back open, didn't work either. When I did that and put it to the pop up setting it would pop up, down, then open half way...

Anyone have any tricks to get it to the right setting spots? Thanks

Dan

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Here's something I 'ripped' from Vortex...

try to reset it.... here is how i reset mine after cleaning it...

1.take the sunroof motor cover off
2.make sure switch is connected and sunroof is in the closed position as well as switch is in closed position
3.turn car to on with key
4.remove sunroof motor screws(requires a torx bit)
5.take the motor off its mount but leave the wires attached to it
6.cycle the switch to all the way open, then cycle it to tilt all the way, and finally to the home position
7.put the sunroof motor back in and secure with torx screws
8. test it out and see if it works
Google is your friend...

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
No problem... there's another post on a Passat forum that spells out basically the same procedure. It's maybe a bit more detailed. Wasn't sure if you had things apart to the extent that the motor needed re-indexing like shown but thought I'd throw it out there.

ClickMe

Last edited:

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI/5spd swap
No problem... there's another post on a Passat forum that spells out basically the same procedure. It's maybe a bit more detailed. Wasn't sure if you had things apart to the extent that the motor needed re-indexing like shown but thought I'd throw it out there.
I know you posted this back in May 2013, but would have a link to that Passat forum that spells out basically the same procedure but in more detailed.