Tint for my new 2012 Jetta TDi

DieselPub

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi w/Nav. Premium
OK so I am back to the TDi community. I just bought a new 2012 Jetta TDi. Anyways, I want to tint the windows. I went to a "tinter" and he says I need non mettallic tint becasue I have Navi and Sirius radio. It will interupt the signal if I put regular tint on it. Has anyone ever heard of this? He wants to charge me $350.

Highline Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline Sedan
There is an antenna built into the rear window on the 2011s but it is for AM, FM1 and FM2. The GPS and SDARS for your Nav and Satellite radio are on the roof.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
I would go with the ceramic tint. They say metallic blocks cell signals.

I went with ceramic on my JSW. $350 is reasonable. At least here in MA.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
I have metallic on all but one car. And in 15+ years I've never had reception problems with phones or radios. The one car that has ceramic only does because it was "on sale" at the same price. Actually the installer ran out of the metallic and installed the ceramic for the original quoted price. Kudos for good customer relations.

Last edited:

SandDiesel

TDI
Got a good tip on finding a good shop. Call any Audi, Lexus, Infinity or above dealer and ask who their tinter is. I did this twice and they gave me the dealer price and are the best or the dealer would drop them.

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None
OK so I am back to the TDi community. I just bought a new 2012 Jetta TDi. Anyways, I want to tint the windows. I went to a "tinter" and he says I need non mettallic tint becasue I have Navi and Sirius radio. It will interupt the signal if I put regular tint on it. Has anyone ever heard of this? He wants to charge me $350.

Sounds like a rip off to me. Mine worked fine