Timing too retarded to plot?

SDJETTA

TDI
2000 Golf auto BLK and 2000 Jetta 5spd WHT
I just got VACOM and have been trying to solve a cold start problem. I have spent hours researching and think I have finally gotten it to work but the timing graph that came with VAGCOM states that my timing is too retarded to plot.

i have two questions.

1, could someone check my procedure?

1 warm up vehicle
2 park and idle
3 start VAGCOM
4 Go to engine controller
5 Go to measure blocks
6 measure blocks 000
7 switch to basic settings mode
8 start TDI timing graph
9 set engine code to Golf AGR/AHF/ALH.ASV 4.99> (Built in Jan 01)

Am I missing something and

2, If I am doing it right is it the same procedure to advance timing or do I need to do something more drastic?

Thanks

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
the car must be fully warmed up meaning it should have been driven, not just sitting idling in the driveway. The engine temp gage in the dash is NOT a good indicator.

Who did the most recent timing belt change?

SDJETTA

TDI
I drove it about 15 miles to work on about a 7% grade it was nice and toasty and the dealer did the most recent change just before I got it around 35,000 Mi ago.​

Airliner

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 1.9TDi Avant Quattro 2001 silver
SDJETTA said:
1, could someone check my procedure?

1 warm up vehicle
2 park and idle
3 start VAGCOM
4 Go to engine controller
5 Go to measure blocks
6 measure blocks 000
7 switch to basic settings mode
8 start TDI timing graph
9 set engine code to Golf AGR/AHF/ALH.ASV 4.99> (Built in Jan 01)

Thanks
If your engine code is AGR, AHF, ALH or ASV then you are correct, and can safely adjust your timing.

SDJETTA

TDI
it was changed year and some change ago, about 35,000 Miles.i have been having cold start issues for about 4 months. where do I look for the Engine code? in the door or in the engine compartment?

Last edited:

Airliner

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 1.9TDi Avant Quattro 2001 silver
It's on a sticker (located both somewhere on your car, and also on the first page in your service book, or whatever you call it in english), and also probably somewhere in the engine compartment. Maybe also on a small sticker on top of the cover to your timing belt.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Isn't the ALH what was in the 01 build date A4's? At least in the US/Canada.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guys, it's ALH. He's reading the timing correctly and it needs to be adjusted since it wasn't set up with VAGCOM when the TB work was completed....it's not a big deal. The timing can't be completely adjusted without VAGCOM or the VAG machine.

SDJETTA

TDI
I have completed work on my Timing. It is now within spec(but slightly advanced) Thanks for all your help!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
SD, you want to be close to the upper line on the graph, well above the center line.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
SDJETTA said:
I have completed work on my Timing. It is now within spec(but slightly advanced) Thanks for all your help!!!
Great! If you're above the middle line, you're good. If you get it between 55 and the upper line, you're perfect!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Great that this is fixed, but I'm puzzled about a 2000 Jetta built in Jan '01. That's past mid production year of '01 models. It should be a 2001 model.

SDJETTA

TDI
They sold it to me as a ‘00, but they also missed the Monsoon sound system when they sold it. The dealers don’t have an overabundance of intelligence. Jan 01 is what it says in the door.