Timing Chain Tensioner Life

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I'm reading various opinions on if you should be concerned with a little valve clatter on startup of a cold engine. I have a 2014 Touareg Sport TDI with 127,000 miles. When it is cold, I hear this clattering noise for about 1-2 seconds. Some people say the timing chain tensioner is the weak link of this motor. Anyone really have the scoop on this. It seems to be a concern on the older 3.0 TDI's for sure.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Yep, it's the weak point. My mechanic said to ignore the 10k mile OCI, and go with 5k and not look back. He also recommends the German oil that has more sulfur [OMG!} and poly additives. It may be too late for your case, but anything to help lubricate that location with heat of the turbos and a diesel as well works to your advantage.

maintenance247

TDI
2010 Jetta Tdi
Same thing on 2014 Touareg tdi r line
From 80k Miles has Always done it
I hear many stories of people even having all parts replaced and the Noise happens soon after .... just drive it and maintain it 🤷‍♂️
i even lookin Porsche forums at the Cayenne Audi forums etc etc many suvs shares this same engine and trans etc

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
Mine, in the shop right now. For 3 weeks. 93k miles. rattle took in did not believe me even have worked at dealership for a year. Took 7 videos, they sent to VTA. They still had to get it to act up. Finally did. Service manager and Service Writer both told me all would be replaced. Nope just what VTA told them to. A "Updated" tensioner. So of course i mentioned was not happy. Was told anything with signs of wear would be covered. Got all covered but the HPFP chain, guides, arms and tensioner. With discount about extra $600 out the door. Common sense while they're in there, right? I will be looking to switch oil brands as well as possible weight as they now switched it to 0w-30. Possibly oil additives too. We shall see. 5k oil changes and BG restoration every change too. Best of luck.

maintenance247

TDI
2010 Jetta Tdi
Mine, in the shop right now. For 3 weeks. 93k miles. rattle took in did not believe me even have worked at dealership for a year. Took 7 videos, they sent to VTA. They still had to get it to act up. Finally did. Service manager and Service Writer both told me all would be replaced. Nope just what VTA told them to. A "Updated" tensioner. So of course i mentioned was not happy. Was told anything with signs of wear would be covered. Got all covered but the HPFP chain, guides, arms and tensioner. With discount about extra $600 out the door. Common sense while they're in there, right? I will be looking to switch oil brands as well as possible weight as they now switched it to 0w-30. Possibly oil additives too. We shall see. 5k oil changes and BG restoration every change too. Best of luck.
Has your start up rattle improved?

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
Has your start up rattle improved?
It did. Until a couple days ago actually. Start up now i hear something that is not right. Almost sounds like oil pressure with tensioner again.... Going back to dealership as 3rd time i have oil leaks from the back and a tick in head they "can not hear". That is getting worse too. 2k left on powertrain. Feel like they are trying to prolong this till i am 1 mile over warranty...

maintenance247

TDI
2010 Jetta Tdi
It did. Until a couple days ago actually. Start up now i hear something that is not right. Almost sounds like oil pressure with tensioner again.... Going back to dealership as 3rd time i have oil leaks from the back and a tick in head they "can not hear". That is getting worse too. 2k left on powertrain. Feel like they are trying to prolong this till i am 1 mile over warranty...
Does it sound like any of these

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
Barely can hear the tick. To me though does not sound like a lifter tick. Your rattle, yes that is timing tensioner.

holeintheice

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI SW
Well, back at the dealership for a front differential, ticking more audible and oil leak on timing cover for a third time. Now VTA is telling them to do a compression test and throw a new turbo at it. One cylinder is down on compression. They do not have the tool to do the leak down test on it but will "rig" something up to do so. Thinking bad valve with tick or maybe i will get lucky and get a new motor. Doubtful though...

Peter York

TDI
Tuareg
Thank you guys. Maybe I'm not writing in the proper topic. I'm a big Volkswagen fan and I want to make a purchase of my life. I want to buy a 2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI 3.0 got 120,000 on odometer. Please please please tell me what should I do and what should I look for during the purchase.

Peter York

TDI
Tuareg
Not really wanting to make the payments. I am the only one working with 3 kids. Have had a lot of work done to it recently.
I wish bro but I do the finances well. I got no money but I want to looking for a reasonable car. The friend of mine. I recommend that listen. There is a nice direct to the eye. He's European me too and to know diesel cars are common in The more I read form the more I realized that buying a tuareg diesel is going to be a bad purchase because there is a lot of underwater rocks that's waiting for you and there's a lot of stuff may happen and it's just simple is not reliable. This is not Toyota is not Lexus. I would really add two more thousand dollars and buy a year older Lexus Rx, I have seen tuareg at dealership recently, I hear the some kind of noise under the hood when you start it up and look through the forum and for real. I realize that in the future I may expect like to $3,000 in it easy. I don't want to go for this especially dealership asking $13,000 with all this fee deliver whatever is going to be a whole $18,000 and I'm not willing to spend another $3-5,000 just for repair the engine water transmission. From where I going to give up idea, I'm buying Volkswagens and just go with a boring Japanese cars like Toyota Lexus The more ugly but more reliable.

Peter York

TDI
Tuareg
but you just said you were going to purchase a Touareg? So what is it? a "ugly lexus" or touareg?
Yeah there's the thing You buy design over quality. I was going to buy the Touareg. I look through five six cars. I look for the petrol and diesel in my area. And the only thing I found they are either die or they about to die. Just I don't want to make any payments for extra peers. Anyway. I'm doing finance. So I didn't want any extra spending from my pocket on fixing stuff. So I'd rather buy Lexus with 120,000 mi than Volkswagen with 120,000.

Tdipro77

TDI
2014 touareg
I'm reading various opinions on if you should be concerned with a little valve clatter on startup of a cold engine. I have a 2014 Touareg Sport TDI with 127,000 miles. When it is cold, I hear this clattering noise for about 1-2 seconds. Some people say the timing chain tensioner is the weak link of this motor. Anyone really have the scoop on this. It seems to be a concern on the older 3.0 TDI's for sure.
There’s a new updated part number for the tensioner (059-109-467-AL) I believe the older one, which was the “” one they introduced in 2013 was 059-109-467-T if you want the noise to go away the tensioner needs to be replaced. Which is not a cheap repair you might as well do the chains and guides.