Timing Chain Tensioner Life

Leroy71

TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I'm reading various opinions on if you should be concerned with a little valve clatter on startup of a cold engine. I have a 2014 Touareg Sport TDI with 127,000 miles. When it is cold, I hear this clattering noise for about 1-2 seconds. Some people say the timing chain tensioner is the weak link of this motor. Anyone really have the scoop on this. It seems to be a concern on the older 3.0 TDI's for sure.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Yep, it's the weak point. My mechanic said to ignore the 10k mile OCI, and go with 5k and not look back. He also recommends the German oil that has more sulfur [OMG!} and poly additives. It may be too late for your case, but anything to help lubricate that location with heat of the turbos and a diesel as well works to your advantage.

TDI
2010 Jetta Tdi
Same thing on 2014 Touareg tdi r line
From 80k Miles has Always done it
I hear many stories of people even having all parts replaced and the Noise happens soon after .... just drive it and maintain it 🤷‍♂️
i even lookin Porsche forums at the Cayenne Audi forums etc etc many suvs shares this same engine and trans etc

holeintheice

TDI
2014 Touareg Sport
Mine, in the shop right now. For 3 weeks. 93k miles. rattle took in did not believe me even have worked at dealership for a year. Took 7 videos, they sent to VTA. They still had to get it to act up. Finally did. Service manager and Service Writer both told me all would be replaced. Nope just what VTA told them to. A "Updated" tensioner. So of course i mentioned was not happy. Was told anything with signs of wear would be covered. Got all covered but the HPFP chain, guides, arms and tensioner. With discount about extra $600 out the door. Common sense while they're in there, right? I will be looking to switch oil brands as well as possible weight as they now switched it to 0w-30. Possibly oil additives too. We shall see. 5k oil changes and BG restoration every change too. Best of luck.