timing belt

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
so.... timing belt breaking is just a bad thing. Wondering how others follow the "when to do it" rule. do you go for the VW 100K mark or get after it earlier? My 2nd one was over 100K by 2 or 3 K....
Wondering if VW adds a safety margin on the 100K rule. :)
cheers

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
The timing belts don’t “just break on there own “ there’s an underlying cause that snaps them..... usually a WP locking up.

But to answer your question I personally do it +- 5,000 miles of 100k but lately it’s on the negative side of the 100k.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
so.... timing belt breaking is just a bad thing. Wondering how others follow the "when to do it" rule. do you go for the VW 100K mark or get after it earlier? My 2nd one was over 100K by 2 or 3 K....
Wondering if VW adds a safety margin on the 100K rule. :)
cheers
Is that risk worth having to rebuild the head + a TB?

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I've had a customer who stripped their 100k mile belt @ 90k miles (BRM). I've also had a customer go to 160k without issue (ALH). I recently changed a 19 year old belt with 102k miles on it (ALH).

Whatever gives you the warm and fuzzies.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I've done a fair share of timing belts on TDI's and gas powered VW's. The diesel ones are definitely beefed up, the interval for the 2009+ common rail 2.0TDI's are over 200,000kms. My current 1.9TDI BRM out of my 2006 Jetta has about 220,000km on its belt, I totally underestimated how old it was. But as soon as I tracked down the records, I bought a belt kit, so I'm doing a timing belt kit this weekend. However I've seen two belts shred teeth on the gas powered VW's before 150,000kms before.

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for the input... thinking I will go with the 90K plan

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
The 2015 CRUA and CVCA are 130k miles which is 209k km, not sure about CJAA and other CR engines.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
His statement is too generic as we could be talking about multiple engines families\codes, which could be why I'm confused.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
2013 CKRA passat shows 130K miles as well. But im changing it before summer. I'm at 105k Miles.

Brother had his BRM snap 20k miles before service interval.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
His statement is too generic as we could be talking about multiple engines families\codes, which could be why I'm confused.
You quoted his very specific text. Common rail engines are 130K miles. Nothing has changed so far with that from 2009+

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Depending on which car it is, the PD engines are 80k miles and the auto ALH (or one with 11mm pump added) is 60k as are the ahu engines.
I've seen poor quality kits last less than 40k miles (Gates kits were two that I saw fail due to bearings locking up) and I changed the timing belt on one 2003 ALH that had 200k miles and had never been changed and a bew that had 147k miles on the original belt (date codes on the components confirmed this)
Personally, I go with the safe side, as the cost of rebuilding the head isn't worth cheaping out.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Depending on which car it is, the PD engines are 80k miles and the auto ALH (or one with 11mm pump added) is 60k as are the ahu engines.
I've seen poor quality kits last less than 40k miles (Gates kits were two that I saw fail due to bearings locking up) and I changed the timing belt on one 2003 ALH that had 200k miles and had never been changed and a bew that had 147k miles on the original belt (date codes on the components confirmed this)
Personally, I go with the safe side, as the cost of rebuilding the head isn't worth cheaping out.
The 40K and 60K intervals for the ALH went to 100K years ago with the upgraded parts. I don't know if it was the large roller that was upgraded or some combo with a better belt. If any qualify vendor is selling the lower mileage parts these days, I would be very surprised.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
That interval for the ALH with the automatic transmission was with the original belt material. A newer and more-durable material became available circa 2005. I know some dealerships with the old belts in inventory kept using them until they ran out, but that was still 12 or 15 years ago. I'm pretty sure all ALH engines have the improved timing belts so the interval should be 100k for all of them, manual and automatic transmission models.

The AHU (Mk3 Jetta) and 1Z (B4 Passat) engines still have a 60k-mile TB interval.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
This question of 'interval' is a mire that many will ruin an engine trying to see what they can 'get away with'. One of the ridiculous numbers is concerning the common rail, which the claim is 120,000 miles. But there is never a mention of the YEARS. What if, for example, you only drive 10,000 miles a year and you live in Phoenix, Arizona, where it regularly hits 115f. Now, you could have a 12 year old belt that VW says is within warranty. Do you not think the sizzling heat makes a difference? Oxidization will kill a belt in higher heat.

What about all those DieselGate cars that sat still for 2-3 years in Dallas? When they were returned to service, almost NONE of the timing belts were changed. Do you think that is a safe method? The belt might have 60,000 miles and the belt is 8 years old. Sure, once in a while, you'll find somebody with ridiculous LUCK, but I don't think good maintenance is dependent on LUCK.

If a timing belt costs $600-$700 to install and a cylinder head costs $3500 to repair and install, do yourself a favor and DON'T STRETCH YOUR LUCK! I already have plenty to do.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
This question of 'interval' is a mire that many will ruin an engine trying to see what they can 'get away with'. One of the ridiculous numbers is concerning the common rail, which the claim is 120,000 miles. But there is never a mention of the YEARS. What if, for example, you only drive 10,000 miles a year and you live in Phoenix, Arizona, where it regularly hits 115f. Now, you could have a 12 year old belt that VW says is within warranty. Do you not think the sizzling heat makes a difference? Oxidization will kill a belt in higher heat.

What about all those DieselGate cars that sat still for 2-3 years in Dallas? When they were returned to service, almost NONE of the timing belts were changed. Do you think that is a safe method? The belt might have 60,000 miles and the belt is 8 years old. Sure, once in a while, you'll find somebody with ridiculous LUCK, but I don't think good maintenance is dependent on LUCK.

If a timing belt costs $600-$700 to install and a cylinder head costs $3500 to repair and install, do yourself a favor and DON'T STRETCH YOUR LUCK! I already have plenty to do.
I got my 12 in 20 with 91k on the clock. I replaced it at 117k in Feb 21. I've heard both 120k and 130k for Tb interval on the cr. I think 7-10 yr 120k is safe.