timing belt

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
New guy here. I just got a 2003 TDI (5-speed) after wanting one for years. It has 164,000 miles and I dont have any history on it. It runs great and drives suprisingly tight for the mileage. I am not sure when the timing belt was done, I peeked at it under the upper timing belt cover and at least its not the original belt but I think I should change it just to know where I stand. Is this a 1 day job with the correct tools? I dont know much about Jettas but I am an aircraft mechanic so it should be within my capabilities unless there are any secrets I dont know about.

This thing is a blast to drive, cant wait to start playing around with it. I am putting the finishing touches on an '86 Toyota Pickup (2wd) that I swapped a VW 1.6TD into. It sounds like a little F350, lol.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Rockwell said:
... Is this a 1 day job with the correct tools?
Yes, even for me and I'm really really slow.
I dont know much about Jettas but I am an aircraft mechanic so it should be within my capabilities unless there are any secrets I dont know about...
All the secrets are contained in a downloadable pdf on this forum.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
As PH said, the pdf is around here. Make sure to get the one for the ALH, not the PD; make sure to get the tools too. Lastly, since it's an '03, you do need VCDS (VAG-COM) to make sure the timing is right.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I used the pdf back in June to do my TB job. Borrowed the proper tools. It went quite well. I took it slow - all told I think it was about 11 hours for me. First time I'd ever done a TB in my car. I was in my brother in law's garage though so there was plenty of time spent finding tools and such. In 80k when I go at it again I think it'll take a lot less time.
I bought the TB kit from tdiparts. couldn't be happier with the job.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
FYI, you are also in the very heart of New England's TDI community. Keep an eye on this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=265054 and come by for the GTG!

Rockwell said:
New guy here. I just got a 2003 TDI (5-speed) after wanting one for years. It has 164,000 miles and I dont have any history on it. It runs great and drives suprisingly tight for the mileage. I am not sure when the timing belt was done, I peeked at it under the upper timing belt cover and at least its not the original belt but I think I should change it just to know where I stand. Is this a 1 day job with the correct tools? I dont know much about Jettas but I am an aircraft mechanic so it should be within my capabilities unless there are any secrets I dont know about.

This thing is a blast to drive, cant wait to start playing around with it. I am putting the finishing touches on an '86 Toyota Pickup (2wd) that I swapped a VW 1.6TD into. It sounds like a little F350, lol.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know it's not a shop job. I've seen kits with a water pump, is that suggested too? That's cool that I am close to New Englands TDI Mecca, I will definitely keep an eye out for the GTG

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Yep. I'm no expert but do the water pump too. I found that mine was seeping a little when I changed it out. One of those things to take care of while you're in there anyway. Wouldn't be any fun to tear it down again just for a wp when not doing the tb.
I did a lot of reading up on tdiclub as well as going through the pdf to do the job. I also kept a fellow tdi'er on call with any questions. You're in a good area for tdi people and resources - use them.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Definately do the WP at the same time too--if it goes, you'll be doing another TB job anyhow. Just get one with the metal impeller.

That said, HO5G doesn't typically do TB jobs, as that's a big job which can go awry. You'd have to clear that with Peter/Julie first.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
supton said:
Definately do the WP at the same time too--if it goes, you'll be doing another TB job anyhow. Just get one with the metal impeller.

That said, HO5G doesn't typically do TB jobs, as that's a big job which can go awry. You'd have to clear that with Peter/Julie first.
Do the ones in the kits come with the metal impeller? I'll have to research I guess. I wouldnt impose a TB on HO5G as a newbe. Do any of the ECM tuners go to the GTG's? That would be so much easier then sending out the ECM

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Yes, tuners sometimes go to GTG's. They will announce if or not in the thread for the GTG. They do not automatically go, but often the GTG is planned around their arrival.

FYI: Jeff is going to NEDD 8, BTW. It's on the 5th, down in MA.

As for the kits, I do believe they usually come with them; but make sure that they explicitly state that. The kit usually doesn't come with coolant, btw; you will need to get that too. G12 or G12+; you can order that at the same time too, although I do know that at least Robbin's carries it.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Rockwell said:
Do the ones in the kits come with the metal impeller? I'll have to research I guess. I wouldnt impose a TB on HO5G as a newbe. Do any of the ECM tuners go to the GTG's? That would be so much easier then sending out the ECM
Several TDI Club vendors offer a deluxe timing belt kit, but no one has ever regretted buying one from Dieselgeek:

All the right parts: Gates TB, tensioner made by Litens, roller/idlers made by INA, water pump with brass impeller made by Laso, cam seal, vacuum seal, torque-to-yield motor-mount bolts, serpentine belt, plus a few extra bolts if you misplace one.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=349

You will need to borrow or rent some special tools, some memberw are selling the Metalnerd tools which they have only used once. And you will need to find someone with the VAG-COM software to check the injection timing.

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
Rockwell said:

I was with a friend who made three attempts in a terrible crosswind with a Grumman Tiger into manchester once. Airtraffic control was a hoot that day. My friend never heard the end of it. Flying is so much fun. Do you work out of the Manchester airport? I loved it there. Good gift shop and coffee shop. Wish I could still fly.

Good luck with your project. God Speed.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
HoneyBeetle said:
I was with a friend who made three attempts in a terrible crosswind with a Grumman Tiger into manchester once. Airtraffic control was a hoot that day. My friend never heard the end of it. Flying is so much fun. Do you work out of the Manchester airport? I loved it there. Good gift shop and coffee shop. Wish I could still fly.

Good luck with your project. God Speed.
ironically I don't like flying, lol. I wish I worked in Manchester, I work in Bedford Mass, it's about 95 miles round trip that's why I got the TDI. Were you a pilot?

Can't wait to start modding, I'll get the TB kit coming. How long do nozzles take to install? I would like to do that then have the ECU done at one of the GTG's. I think that would be a good start.

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
Rockwell said:
ironically I don't like flying, lol. I wish I worked in Manchester, I work in Bedford Mass, it's about 95 miles round trip that's why I got the TDI. Were you a pilot?
Hi Rockwell, I flew out of Sterling, MA about 3 years ago. I don't anymore, I lost my instructor. Oh well. Yes, maybe you can work out of Manchester one day. But you should love the TDI.

After you get the TB fixed and other things checked out, perhaps in the spring you may want to consider using biodiesel? It may help cut costs, if you can get it for a good price. Otherwise, make it yourself. Anyhow, you should have a trusted mechanic check out the hoses, fuel injector system and gaskets first-prior to using bio in an older car you haven't had for long. Or, maybe you can do that too! Read up on it, interesting!

God Speed!

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll have to look into biodiesel, I get a little jet fuel once in awhile but biodiesel would be good if I can find some

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Rockwell said:
I'll have to look into biodiesel, I get a little jet fuel once in awhile but biodiesel would be good if I can find some
Biodiesel is no big deal. It usually costs more and has less energy per gallon. It improves the lubricity of fuel, so it's good for injection systems. But for that you only need a 2% blend, aka B02.