Timing belt tool for adjusting timing?

Dannybetz

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Mechanic thought my timing slipped.. unplugged cam sensor and got vehicle to fire up, and then went ahead to do the timing job, and then said they got to a part where they need special tools to do the timing. Since the timing is off, presumably due to the slip. Its odd, cause there are tools online for it... but there's tons of options and idk what tools are actually needed. . .Amazon has one for 35 and lotta good reviews with others saying they're cheap tools and break. Or other sites for 100-350... im trying to find more info on it, im not having much luck. What tools are actually needed for this job? When I called a dealer they said those tools aren't available for sale.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Are you talking about aligning your cam and crankshaft sprockets on a new belt? Did you change / replace the belt?
Are you talking about setting the camshaft angle relative to the cam sprocket (KW) ?
Please back up a little and tell us the original issue with the car, all work that has been done, and your current issue.
Also, is the car currently running, and what makes you think it slipped? Also, what do you think slipped@. The timing belt or the cam to sprocket?

The above assumes you have a mk5 with h a pd engine, as this is the forum you posted in.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
The two main tools are the “paw” that locks the crank and the pin the locks the cam. There is also a sprocket tool for turning the sprocket. You can get away with not having the sprocket tool and use a drill bit for the cam pin but the correct tools make it a lot easier.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
As you know on a TDI the timing is critical, so if you don’t have the correct tools you need to know what you were doing and why you are doing it. I would think that any reputable shop would want to use the correct tools.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
A shop that does not have the tool for that job is a shop you should not take it to.
Period.
At least they are wanting to get the tool, not just doing m&p!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
At least they are wanting to get the tool, not just doing m&p!
I dont care if the shop has 50 years experienced diesel mechanics. Not having the tool means they do not do this job. Even if it's this one car specific.
A customer is paying $$$ for a professional, not for the work, but the skill and experiance for the job being paid for.
Granted I have taken heads and other parts to small machine shops that did not have the right tooling. The shop is smiths burg I had do guides on my ahu head did not have the metric reamer to relive the guide. No big deal.
A timing belt is a big deal. Not having that tool is a clear sign this is not the job for them. It's easy to miss or mess up a step and that happens for diyrs. A professional will know not to male those mistakes. Thus you must avoid.
Yea nice to see an honest mechanic though.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I dont care if the shop has 50 years experienced diesel mechanics. Not having the tool means they do not do this job. Even if it's this one car specific.
A customer is paying $$$ for a professional, not for the work, but the skill and experiance for the job being paid for.
Granted I have taken heads and other parts to small machine shops that did not have the right tooling. The shop is smiths burg I had do guides on my ahu head did not have the metric reamer to relive the guide. No big deal.
A timing belt is a big deal. Not having that tool is a clear sign this is not the job for them. It's easy to miss or mess up a step and that happens for diyrs. A professional will know not to male those mistakes. Thus you must avoid.
Yea nice to see an honest mechanic though.
Partially true. I disagree with the thought that they have to have done the job before to be considered a professional.
Not to say that the op's shop is a professional shop and will do a good job, I honestly don't trust very many shops.
The difference between the pro and the diy'er isn't whether they've done "x" specific job before, it's more the general training and knowing how to correctly read instructions, and that you do it for a living.
I'm a full time diesel mechanic, and I often come to a job that I've never done before. That's doesn't mean I'm not the one to do that job, it means that I have an opportunity to learn.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Partially true. I disagree with the thought that they have to have done the job before to be considered a professional.
Not to say that the op's shop is a professional shop and will do a good job, I honestly don't trust very many shops.
The difference between the pro and the diy'er isn't whether they've done "x" specific job before, it's more the general training and knowing how to correctly read instructions, and that you do it for a living.
I'm a full time diesel mechanic, and I often come to a job that I've never done before. That's doesn't mean I'm not the one to do that job, it means that I have an opportunity to learn.
Fair enough. But I'm going to stick to what I said for anything routine maintenance like a timing belt for example. I'd let it slide of it's a new car or just a year or 2 old or something uncommon. This is not though.