Timing Belt Tensioner Correct Setting

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
Hi all,

I was recently doing a cam timing adjustment on my engine which is a 1.9 diesel in a Golf MK5, engine code BKC. I thought I would check the tensioner as the head was recently removed. Can someone please just check the pointer in the attached picture, I believe it should be lined up with the cut away notch on the back plate.

http://www.zoo.co.uk/%7Eadam/tensioner.jpg
As you can see, the pointer is actually slightly to the side. Should I be concerned by this and get it changed, or is it nothing to worry about and there is 'some' flex in the belt because of the extra tension?

Thanks!

Luis G

TDI
2006 Jetta
Pointer should be set to the cut out notch when you set the tensioner. According to the Bentley manual

Turn the tensioning roller eccentric pulley using the socket wrench T10264 clockwise - arrow - , until the indicator - 2 - is located centrally in the gap of the base plate.

Not sure how it will effect the belt, but I think it is a little to tight.

This info was for a mk5 Jetta BRM TB replacement

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks a lot for the reply Luis, that's also what I read. I don't have access to one of those special sockets to turn the eccentric pulley right now, but will purchase one if it's potentially dangerous 'as is' (maybe I can use an hex (allen) key instead though?).

Also, if I do the adjustment myself, I have read the nut needs to be tightened up afterwards to 20nm plus 45 degrees. Does this require a new bolt or nut or can I use the same?

Does anyone think this is way off spec? I am not sure if 3 or 4 degrees of the pointer past the notch is detrimental to the tension and could lead to the whole thing snapping in the future?:eek: There is a possibility that if I touch it I could make the whole thing worse...

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Luis G

TDI
2006 Jetta
6mm hex(allen) wrench worked on mine. It was very easy to turn and get the pointer in the notch. A new nut was included in the TB kit I ordered.

Later

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Luis G said:
6mm hex(allen) wrench worked on mine. It was very easy to turn and get the pointer in the notch. A new nut was included in the TB kit I ordered.

Later
Thanks again Luis, I sorted it by using the 6mm hex method. Although I had to hand tighten the tensioner nut with a spanner and not a torque wrench, as I could not get a torque wrench into the tight space! You had that problem too?

Anyway, all sorted. Cheers.:)

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
My 2 concerns here:
1) The tensioner bolt is not tight enough - unknown torque applied.
2) Was the engine warmed up, when inspecting the tensioner?

Tony

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Tony,

TonyJetta said:
1) The tensioner bolt is not tight enough - unknown torque applied.
I thought that too, but I was unable to get the torque wrench down there. What are you supposed to use, use a crowfoot socket connected to a torque wrench? I only have about 2cm clearance...
TonyJetta said:
2) Was the engine warmed up, when inspecting the tensioner?
I got that one right, I waited until it had cooled down

Thanks.

Last edited:

Luis G

TDI
2006 Jetta
I used a torque wrench. I had the motor mount off, the only way to change the tensioner is to remove the motor mount. How about a small 1/4in or 3/8 in torque wrench?

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried a couple of different torque wrenches but there just isn't enough space for the socket, let alone the wrench. I am just going to check again in the next few days and see if I can get a crowfoot spanner in there. If not, I will double check the tightness again and leave it.