Timing Belt Tension

Taggs

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
I just finished replacing my timing belt on my 2001 TDI. Before I button up the car I wanted to know if it is possible to set the initial tension on the automatic belt tensioner to tight. Thanks, Dave ( I need to finish this job today. Could someone please reply asap) Thanks Again.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ummm, yes, it's possible to improperly adjust anything ...

Use the pin wrench to turn the center part of the tensioner clockwise (same direction as engine rotation) until the notch lines up with the projection, then lock it in place.

bulldogger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5 spd, 2014 Golf TDI auto
I don't have a ton of experience like most of these guys. However, I would say that it is definitely possible to make the initial setup of the tensioner wrong. I still don't know exactly how mine became mis-aligned but the picture proves it was and luckily I caught it before I put the car back together.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
be sure the tang that fits into the slot

bulldogger1 said:
I would say that it is definitely possible to make the initial setup of the tensioner wrong. I still don't know exactly how mine became mis-aligned but the picture proves it was and luckily I caught it before I put the car back together.
Check and be sure the tang that fits into the slot on the timing cover case has not popped out
When it does it turns clockwise towards the front of the car.

Taggs

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
Thanks for all of the help. I just wrapped up and the car runs like a raped ape even befor I set up my injection pump with the vag-com. Thanks, Dave