Timing Belt - Replace at 30K or 60K?

CAPwTDIs

I replaced my timing belt on my '96 Passat at 60K - belt was near shreds. My dealer is now saying that it should be replaced again at the 90K service because timing belts on diesels are only supposed to last 30K. How can I tell by looking at the belt if it is time to be replaced? Thanks for any tips.

TDI-NEVER-DIE

Veteran Member
TDI
bora
I'm not real big on the passat scene but if your car is a 5 speed then 30k seems too short of an interval. Usually if you remove the cover you can tell if there are any obvious signs of major wear. I'm sure someone with more passat knowledge will chime in for ya.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The timing belt on that car should be replaced every 96,000 km (60,000 miles) and the tensioner should be replaced along with the belt. The dealer's suggestion is nonsense, but it's good practice to inspect it at every oil change and replace it if any abnormal conditions are found.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I concur with the mileage and inspection interval. I have gone through 2 belt replacements, and each time the belt appeared only somewhat used; i.e. that it did not need replacement, and that was at 50k miles.

If the belt is going to break on you, it may not give any visual cues. So, if there are no obvious problems, then the regular interval should be fine. If it looks bad, then there are alignment or other problems that should also be fixed. The belt should not look haggard, worn, or otherwise abused even at the end of the replacement interval.

jxpfeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta GLS, lux
whoever told you diesels' timing belts only last 30k is smoking some serious pipe. would love to know what diesels he's ever worked on.

anyway, 60k is the normal interval, and your belt should last you that long. if it's visibly worn, then something is seriously wrong, but 9 times out of 10, when the belt snaps, it's not going to look all worn out and destroyed. definitely not in "shreds" like this guys says.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
The only reason to change earlier than 60k would be the amount of time between changes. When I picked up my 98 it only had 30,000 miles on it...that's in 5 years. I figured time is a not a big help when it comes to rubber so I opted to change the belt right away to be safe. The belt that's on there now will be there for 60k unless I end up not driving the car that much or it shows signs of fatigue.