Timing Belt question?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
There's a number of online retailers trusted here on this site that will ship to you

cascade german
IDparts

Roseland technical services will as well, and they are in Canada.

Others will chime in with additional retailers. As with any recommendations, do your own research on how well they are rated by their customers. I personally have used all three of the above and never had an issue.

Make sure you use name brand parts from a trusted seller. Stay away from anything to do with Prothe

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I usually order parts from germanoem, prices are OK and shipping is fast.

Their MK4 timing belt kits are comprehensive and contain quality parts, I assume the same would be true for newer models.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Rockauto... The gates tck355 timing belt kit for your car is 85 Canadian, with shipping and taxes comes out to around 110 bucks, a fraction of the cost of basically any retailer in Canada. Also, you don't have to worry about any extra fees at the door with them, the duties are all included with the purchase price

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Rockauto... The gates tck355 timing belt kit for your car is 85 Canadian, with shipping and taxes comes out to around 110 bucks, a fraction of the cost of basically any retailer in Canada. Also, you don't have to worry about any extra fees at the door with them, the duties are all included with the purchase price
Does that come with that water pump, the idlers, tensioner and the new bolts?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Checked - Rocakauto kit comes with the belt, tensioner, idler, two studs/nuts, and two bolts. Does not state the make of the tensioner or the roller. The kits at the other suppliers contain all the items to do the job properly, and lists the manufacturers of all the critical parts.

You like to gamble?

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
If you know someone with a Altrom or Autocamping account they can get you the Hepu Timing belt kit

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Checked - Rocakauto kit comes with the belt, tensioner, idler, two studs/nuts, and two bolts. Does not state the make of the tensioner or the roller. The kits at the other suppliers contain all the items to do the job properly, and lists the manufacturers of all the critical parts.

You like to gamble?

It would appear that everything is made by them, and for what it's worth, neither idparts, nor roseland state the brand of each component you mentioned...

But ok if you're concerned about the critical components being made by brand names, that's fine, I understand that... I can tell you that I recently bought from German brand names, such as Bosch (rotors, oil filters, air filters), and Hella Pagid (rear calipers), and they were made in China... so if that's your concern, well, most German brands these days make their stuff in China...

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replacement auto parts are typically manufactured to a price. Brand name parts tend to be higher quality than no name, regardless of country of origin, and are priced accordingly.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Replacement auto parts are typically manufactured to a price. Brand name parts tend to be higher quality than no name, regardless of country of origin, and are priced accordingly.
Not true, I've seen brand name parts priced lower then what others would typically claim as being no name. I have bought brand name parts at lower prices then no name

Also, brand name and higher price doesn't always coralate to higher quality. While indeed most of the time the brand name stuff is of higher quality, this isn't a set in stone rule. Just something to think about, one shouldn't be led into a false sense of security just because it's brand name. Also, that doesn't mean I'm advocating to buy cheap parts.

As far as I'm aware, gates is an OE manufacturer for many makes and models, at least for belts they are.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Why does everyone want an argument. The name brand trusted distributers everything has quality control. I won't trust a "name brand" part that's half price. It's probably ones that didn't pass. I'm not going to flip a 2k coin over saving 200 bucks.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
For example if you buy the Hepu kit it may have a Dayco or Conti belt, Ina rollers, Timken or Litens tensioner, Hepu water pump (metal impeller vs plastic VW impeller) sourced from all around the world. A real salad bowl of parts.

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
Why does everyone want an argument. The name brand trusted distributers everything has quality control. I won't trust a "name brand" part that's half price. It's probably ones that didn't pass. I'm not going to flip a 2k coin over saving 200 bucks.
And this is exactly the problem and why I commented, just because it's brand name but cheaper doesn't automatically make it crap, and if it's more expensive it automatically makes it better.

No, completely wrong and bad mentality to have.

I have bought several brand name parts off rockauto with zero issues... A recent big purchase I made was buying a brand new mahle vnt 15, and the cost was significantly cheaper then buying from any of the "trusted vendors"... I saved a good few hundred dollars, and I received a quality brand name part... a few years ago I bought an Aisin timing belt kit for one of my other cars off amazon (yes, amazon)... the parts that came in the kit were identical to what you could buy at the dealer (some even had the OE packaging you would get at the dealer), and the price was a fraction of what you would pay at the dealer or a reputable vendor, and the car hasn't blown up since

Look, if you want to pay more because it's a "trusted vendor", fine, I don't care, whatever helps you sleep at night. I suggested to the OP a gates kit off rockauto because a) it's cheapest around I found and b) as far as i'm aware, gates is a reputable brand and I imagine they don't sell garbage t-belt kits... the only minus with that kit that I didn't realize is that a water pump isn't included and would cost extra

OP, if you're still reading this thread, do your due diligence in terms of brand names for a timing belt kit, and shop around... google is your friend, I have found many different parts vendors in the GTA, and online outside the GTA, so i'm always calling around or searching online to see who has the best prices for the parts I want.

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not true, I've seen brand name parts priced lower then what others would typically claim as being no name. I have bought brand name parts at lower prices then no name
I wrote "typically" and "tend to be" for a reason - there are always exceptions.

Bottom line is the part that arrives on your doorstep might not be of acceptable quality regardless of brand, supplier, or country of origin. I won't use anything that looks or feels inferior, especially not in critical applications like the TB path.

I use the club's trusted vendors because they rarely ship me anything of questionable quality. I'm prepared to pay more to avoid returns and reorders.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI

cdi320

Veteran Member
TDI
Cdi
This is another good Canadian option:

Just checked them out, comparable prices to germanparts.ca for the same brands, so good to know about having another option in the GTA

smartx

TDI
2004, TDI
There's a number of online retailers trusted here on this site that will ship to you

cascade german
IDparts

Roseland technical services will as well, and they are in Canada.

Others will chime in with additional retailers. As with any recommendations, do your own research on how well they are rated by their customers. I personally have used all three of the above and never had an issue.

Make sure you use name brand parts from a trusted seller. Stay away from anything to do with Prothe
Thanks!