Timing belt question

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
130k is what the owner's guide says, at least for my 2013. The confusion may come because some dealer service guides recommend inspection and replacement if necessary starting at 80k, but that may just be so they can charge more for service.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
I concur. Waterpump will fail before timing belt change interval. Buy a kit from Frank06 and get an improved pump! I did mine around 95K miles.

013_TDI

TDI
(2013 Passat TDI SE 2.0 - Sold) 2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI Premium Plus Sport Edition
My water pump was diagnosed as “going bad”. My timing belt will be replaced at 35,947. Just purchased 2013 Passat TDI in March of 2021. I love the car and the mileage......

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I tend to go with 10 years, but I've seen so many so much older than that and have yet to see one that looked "bad" due to age, so....

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
2013... My first timing belt/ water pump made it to 130 without leaking but my second started leaking 70k in!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Covid Cars as we've taken to calling them (cars that have just been sitting) have been suffering from water pump failures a lot. Which is akin to the Dieselgate cars that were sitting for a different reason. But combine the two, and man we see some screwed up TDIs here.