Timing belt question

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon BEW, '06 Golf BEW, '15 Golf TDI(sold), '05 Golf TDI (wrecked)
Advice on something please. Think that I know the answer already.

Picked up a nice '06 Golf from a club member a few months back. Been tinkering with it a little. Although not much needed.

Car currently has 140K on the odometer and I see that the timing belt was done almost exactly 9 years and 60K miles ago. I have seen that some say the belt should be changed every 10 years regardless of mileage.

I've been loaning this one to a friend and its not driven a lot. But, I certainly don't want it to pop. Just some thoughts to either confirm my suspicions or give me some piece of mind. Would like to put it off for a while if I could. May be until after the first of the year.

Thanks

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Due to varying weather conditions (I say this because regionally will have different effects on the components), the amount driven, the age, as well as the unknown to you, I would go ahead and change it...especially for piece of mind. When you get a "new to you" vehicle, unless you are absolutely sure about the work, what parts were put on, etc, it's a good time to re-baseline. Especially at 60k mileage and that long ago. I've had 100k timing belt kits fail me at 60k. In fact, I've done 2 in my car already and I've only owned it 6/7 years, both due to failure of components. Yes the kits were from a reputable vendor and installation was correct. A $250 timing belt kit is worth the price when you consider the amount a new top end costs.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
9 years is a long time. 80k is the suggested interval for the bew engine although many say 100k is fine. 7 not 9 years is what most say. If it were mine I would change it just for the peace of mind, which I presume is why your'e asking.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I would change it for sure. I plan to change the belt on my Passat (also a PD) when it has 60k miles.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
That's a BEW engine, fairly easy to change that TB kit (it's overdue). Get a quality kit from your favorite vendor tunemyeuro, metalmanparts, idparts, cascadegerman, they are all well known, and I have personally used them all.

Then just make sure you read up before tackle it. Get the right lockup tools and double check your work multiple times before you try to start the car back up. Easy peasy.

This is a SOHC engine, you have plenty of room. The pass side motor mount needs disconnecting, make sure you support your engine either from the top, or with a jack from the bottom, but you'll find the need to raise and lower that side to maneuver the bracket out/in. Happy wrenching!

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. Getting the responses that I fully expected.

I missed the the pre-Black Friday sale on TB kits at ID Parts a couple of weeks back. Maybe Peter will have a deal again this Friday.

Appreciate the replies!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You're already heading in the best direction... but if you need further incentive it's the bearing lubrication I notice going downhill as the timing belt hardware ages. Just did a TB replacement on a car that only had about half the miles but 7 years, and *every* bearing was dry and noisy. Belt seemed fine... although, like a light bulb, they are often fine right up until the microsecond they are not. :)

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
You're already heading in the best direction... but if you need further incentive it's the bearing lubrication I notice going downhill as the timing belt hardware ages. Just did a TB replacement on a car that only had about half the miles but 7 years, and *every* bearing was dry and noisy. Belt seemed fine... although, like a light bulb, they are often fine right up until the microsecond they are not. :)
That's for sure! Had one with 40k miles that had a failed idler pulley. Almost broke the belt.

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. This one still looks ok. But, that's no peace of mind to me.

Needs a glow plug harness as most of these do by this point. Only other issue is a slight whine when the turbo spools up. Sounds like a faint EMS siren.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Yeah. This one still looks ok. But, that's no peace of mind to me.

Needs a glow plug harness as most of these do by this point. Only other issue is a slight whine when the turbo spools up. Sounds like a faint EMS siren.
I'd pull the turbo inlet and check for shaft play. That can cause a whine like that.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Cracked lower EGR pipe? It did whistle for me without codes, long ago until it was fixed right (dumb dealers), makes a soot mess around it

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Even if the belt does fail, all you have to do is rebuild the head, and maybe replace the pistons. Just a few thousand dollars and a couple days work. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Just kidding... Change it....

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
Even if the belt does fail, all you have to do is rebuild the head, and maybe replace the pistons. Just a few thousand dollars and a couple days work. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Just kidding... Change it....
Hey. Knew it was a silly question when I asked it. All good.

Hope to have time to track down the whistle this weekend. No experience with turbo related issue as of yet. Should be interesting.