Timing belt now on, no complete crank

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
I purchased a used long block, and installed a clutch. I could turn the crank completely around after that. I put the gear box on. I could crank it completely. I went through the timing belt procedure, and everything has been timed correctly. The belt is on now, but when testing to make sure I can turn it twice over, it will only go from about 12 O'clock to 5 O'clock. Something is holding it. What are my next steps to take?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If you are saying that you used to be able to rotate the engine 360 degrees with the original timing belt on, and now that you've changed the timing belt something is interfering with full rotation... it sounds like an issue with how the timing belt was changed.

? definitely locked the cam with both lobes on #1 up, using the locking tool?
? definitely loosened the cam sprocket both and broke the sprocket free so that it could rotate?
? definitely had the flywheel at TDC?
? definitely checked that you were still at TDC after installing the new belt, tensioner, etc?

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
? definitely locked the cam with both lobes on #1 up, using the locking tool?
Yes.

? definitely loosened the cam sprocket both and broke the sprocket free so that it could rotate?
Yes.

? definitely had the flywheel at TDC?
For sure.

? definitely checked that you were still at TDC after installing the new belt, tensioner, etc?
Yes. As the engine sits now, if I rotate the engine to put the camshaft locking tool on, I look at the crank and its at TDC. I can see the injection pump hole. It won't go much past the TDC mark on the crank if I turn it.
Just redid entire procedure again, and same results. Now I took off the timing belt, and then the gear box. I can turn the crank 360 degrees, but cannot keep turning it. What is going on.. something is still interfering with the crank movement. Do I pull off the head next?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Could you have confused #4 cylinder for #1 cylinder when you locked the cam down?

Other folks have done that. #1 is closest to the timing belt and farthest from the clutch.

Bill

Last edited:

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
Without the timing belt on, should a person be able to turn the crank one way like 720+ degrees?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Could you have confused #4 cylinder for #1 cylinder when you locked the cam down?

Other folks have done that. #1 is closest to the timing belt and farthest from the clutch.

Bill

It wouldn't matter, Bill.

The first thing that comes to mind is I wonder if you have the right mark for TDC.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Without the timing belt on, should a person be able to turn the crank one way like 720+ degrees?
Nope.. aha...is that what you're doing??

With the cam locked at TDC some valves are open on the other cylinders that will prevent the engine from rotating all the way.

If you really need to rotate the engine all the way I find it quickest to just release (in proper sequence) the cam saddle bolts... the cam lifts and *all* valves are now closed.

If you're saying that you've got interference *with* for-sure the proper TDC alignment *and* the belt is in place you probably have a sticking valve or lifter... head may in fact have to come off, unless you can spot a lifter thats sticking after you pull the cam.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Vince already answered this but I'll repeat it.

No.

When you turned the crank from 12 O'clock to 5 O'clock, you had the timing belt on, right?

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
Tomorrow I will retime. I was confident in my first two attempts, but i'll try it again. Thanks

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Could you guys please explain a bit more? You should be able to hand rotate the engine until you're arm falls off with the belt on if everything is set properly. Also, I agree... the timing marks on the flywheel are abysmal, very hard to see and easily misinterpreted. A way of double checking it is there is another marker on the harmonic balancer side that should allow you to double check.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Ok, my Doh! I thought we were talking belt ON and timed. In this case, NO is the correct answer. Cam stationary, at some point you're going to hit a valve. There really shouldn't be any reason to do so after you find TDC and get your locks in. Once you're there, just small adjustments to the crank/flywheel while re-tensioning the new belt should be all that's needed.

Last edited:

DG-TDI

TDI
2000 NB TDI
Just a thought as I've had this happen to me. I do not know if you have changed the injection pump sprocket bolts with the new tb kit but if you have then check to make sure that all three of the new pump bolts are the correct length and that you did not get an incorrectly supplied (longer) bolt. If you did then the longer the bolt will hit the injection pump housing where the locking pin hole location is cast into it.
Really simple fix if that's it......
Daniel

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
I figured out I had the wrong TDC mark on the flywheel. I thought it was something different. I found the TDC of the crank via the harmonic balancer to confirm, and then dremeled a visible mark. The engine is timed correctly now, and it turns over completely. Thanks!