Timing Belt Noises....

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan Value Edition, Platinum Grey, 6MT
so, i had the timing belt and v belt replaced about 2,000 miles ago. as soon as i drove away i heard some noises. and there was this humming-almost like a vibration throughout the car. i asked u guys, and then took it back a few days laster. i was told that its because the new belt is so tight. well now its 2,000 miles later and the slushy sound, and the squeeky sounds are getting louder. what do i tell my mechanic? i know my car, and it has never sounded like this. i hear it the whole time. and i think the squeeky sound is coming from the thing that the belts turns on.... i forgot what thats called. (like a lazy-suzy turned sideways that the belt rolls/is guided on in a few different places). also, the car starts perfect like always, blows no smoke, and fuel consumption is about the same. i am getting a few MPG less since the job, but that could be my driving.
anyway, any help or shared similar experience would b great. thanx u guys!

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Remove the engine cover, then remove the timing belt cover. Inspect the timing belt. Make sure it's properly tracking on the sprockets. If it hasn't been properly aligned, it's width has probably been reduced by rubbing up against something (Timing belt cover for example..)

It looks like you have an A4 from your signature.. Maybe it's something with the water pump?

VocalVirgo

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan Value Edition, Platinum Grey, 6MT
its only making the noises when its idling. but its a louder drive also.
if i have2 do this myself im gonna freak. no special tools 2 take the belt cover off, right?
i have a 2000 golf 1.9 tdi. thats considered an A4?

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
motor mount? timing belt tensioner? we need more info. does it do it when the car is still or moving?

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
The cover requires no special tools to remove, although a small flat head screwdriver can help with popping the clips off, it can be done by hand. You want to check and make sure the belt looks fine, and make sure the smooth side of the belt is touching the rollers. There is a small smooth roller at the bottom next to the water pump that is supposed to touch the smooth side of the belt, and it may be possible to install the belt incorrectly so the toothed side of the belt is touching this roller and this would cause a loud humming noise.

Somebody might have an illustration or photo showing correct routing, I dont, but it is definently somthing you MUST check, as the belt should make ZERO noises, regardless of it being new, old, brown, black, or pink. I have never had a new belt make a noise, and ive installed nearly 100.

Also, your signature and your last post tells me you own an A4 TDI, however you posted this in the A3/B4 TDI section. It probably wont receive the attention it deserves in here, so you should either post another thread in the correct section, or a moderator should move it.

This is definently serious, and you need to check it out. The mechanic obviously has no clue and used the "new belt, very tight" crap to cover his own lack of knowledge. Find a new shop and get them to check it out, or at a very minimum inspect it yourself to make sure the belt isnt coming apart or damaged.