Timing belt Lifespan (miles)?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Also it has been shown here that safely lengthening the life of your fuel efficient TDI has a positive cost/benefit balance for our environment.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
You're out of your element on this site, which caters toward people who enjoy these cars and caring for them
I used to share your viewpoint, but after spending $6000 on various repairs (for an old 90s Dodge) I thought

- What a waste. I could have used that $6000 to buy a replacement car with low miles & not falling apart

So I changed my philosophy.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That approach would drive me crazy. I don't have much tolerance for driving a car that's broken in some way. I'd rather drive an old car with high miles that looks and runs well instead of a newer, lower mileage car that has failed parts.

The key is to not buy more car than you can afford. '12 and '13 Mercedes S-Class diesels are pretty cheap these days, but I know not to buy one, because I'd still be maintaining a $100+K car. That would be painful.

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
I agree that spending $6000 on a '90s Dodge was stupid. That's not what we're talking about [emoji849]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Spending $6000 on my Beetle TDI would be stupid too. If the Beetle reaches that state of old age, where it’s falling apart or major expensive equipment is failing.

I’ll junk it and get another car using the $6000 I didn’t spend on the Beetle.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
My approach: the more efficient a vehicle is to its size then it becomes a candidate to lengthen its life, provided the vehicle is considered to be safe to drive by a trust-able mechanic.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Also it has been shown here that safely lengthening the life of your fuel efficient TDI has a positive cost/benefit balance for our environment.
Upto a point. Because a CR-TDI is cleaner than the old 1990s and 2000s TDI variants, then it’s better to upgrade to a CR TDI with a cleaner exhaust (near zero NOx output, and soot filters)

That’s even including the penalty of manufacturing the new car

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Upto a point. Because a CR-TDI is cleaner than the old 1990s and 2000s TDI variants, then it’s better to upgrade to a CR TDI with a cleaner exhaust (near zero NOx output, and soot filters)
That’s even including the penalty of manufacturing the new car
And deal with more components to fail, which in turn costs more money, which makes your idea of buying a different car every 4 years not a viable scenario. "Its cheaper to keep her" applies to most vehicle ownership...

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I know a used BMW 335d I-6 that only costs $9000..... that’s about one thousand less than what this Beetle cost me.
Remove that emissions crap and see how junked up the intake is. I'm right behind you, giving my Jetta to my son. There are some I'm looking at here, they are nice vehicles and can lay down some power if you really want it.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have owned a few 328i convertibles. They can be had fairly cheap used. The costs of having them worked on, I have found, is more than other vehicles though. Sold both of the ones I had due to that. Finding a good BMW mechanic who was reasonable was harder than finding a good tdi mechanic who was reasonable. Seems like owners buy them new and then dump them after warranty runs out and repairs start needing to be done. Nice cars but usually the more they cost the more they cost to maintain as well. If you are doing your own work then this isn't an issue.