Timing belt job botched - HELP!

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red
Ok, I've done 3 timing belt changes before on A4s and one on an A5. Made a rookie mistake last night doing my 200k change. I didn't verify the TDC mark on the flywheel after rotating the cam wheel twice and try to re-pin the IP - I just assumed I was ok. Well, it wouldn't start. I noticed on the injection pump wheel the bolts were all the way to one side of the slot - not tightened when I rotated the cam. So now I'm trying to back track to get everything lined up again. Unfortunately, I took the tension off the tensioner and when I was rotating the cam to get the cam back to "lobes up" position, the belt slipped. Put some tension back on the tensioner and now when I try to rotate it, the valves must be contacting the pistons, because I can't get it to rotate any more.

My plan was to get the cam back in the correct position, then the crank, then the IP. How do I recover from this disaster??? Thanks in advance for the help.

BTW: yes I have all the correct tools and I got a complete kit from Metalnerd.

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red
So, while the cam caps are unbolted, turn the crank to TDC? Do I take off the cam pulley, so it's not trying rotate too? Once I get the cam and crank at TDC, what's the best way to get the IP wheel back in position? Thanks!

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
take the belt off, cam pulley off, then remove the cam caps, you can now remove the cam...

once the cam is out there will be nothing holding the valves open, now you can rotate the engine, once the crank is on tdc reassemble everything.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
There are other options that don't involve removing the camshaft... it depends on how far away from "lobes up" you happen to be...

If the belt's removed (remove the pump sprocket - 3 bolts), you can rotate the crankshaft 90 degrees backwards, which will allow you to turn the camshaft to the proper position... then you crack the camshaft sprocket loose, return the crankshaft to TDC, turn the pump shaft (22 mm box end) to the correct position, put the sprocket back on (loosely) with the belt, pin the pump and lock the camshaft, tighten the tensioner, check for flywheel TDC, tighten the 3 pump bolts and camshaft sprocket bolt, remove the locks and rotate twice...

A matter of which you prefer... (I don't like to remove camshafts caps...)

Yuri

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Don't forget to rotate crank 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Then tighten down cam caps 2 and 4 to seat cam. Of course, make sure cylinder one lobes up. Having the cam lock tool in place will help cam "set" properly while tightening down cam caps. If the cam lock tool is tight in slot after tightening, you can take pipe jaw vice grips and clamp cam beside #3 cam cap and tweak the cam position perfectly. Use no more clamping force than necessary to make cam rotate.

Rotate crank 90 degrees clockwise. Finish your timing belt job.