Timing belt GTG: 02/07/04, Ukiah, CA

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
OK, NorCal TDI-types, there was some discussion last weekend at a face-stuffing shootout /images/graemlins/grin.gif about maybe getting a tb gtg going. Since none of the logistics are in place at this time, other than date(s), can we get a gauge of interest for who in these forums would be interested/in need of a belt/H2O pump change the weekend of 2/7-2/8? If we can garner enough interest to make it worth DB's time to drive down to NorCal (location is approx. south of the CA/OR border and north of SF/Sacto and west of the Central Valley).

Stay tuned for further developments if enough interest is shown...

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Feeler: tb gtg in some secret fortified bunker...

I was just discussing with the significant other the possibility of going to Reno that weekend so that the kids can play in the snow. If those plans get cancelled, I will make it to this event to lend a hand/hang out, etc. I don't think I can drive 20,000 miles in the next few weeks so I'm not due for a belt change.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Feeler: tb gtg in some secret fortified bunker...

Reno is a nice compromise from my standpoint. Save me a few hours of driving each way.

If there is a TB GTG in RENO soon, color me there, with tools in my hatch and bells on my toes. And injector nozzles and special tool to set them up...

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI

Subject line modified to reflect change in status from feeler to event. If anyone is interested in having their belts/H2O pumps changed at this event you MUST say so in this thread somewhere (for planning purposes). If enough people are in need of belt changes, the following day, 02/08/04, may also be included as part of this gtg.

More info will follow regarding location and caravan details.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

I need a TB. I thought @ the last GTG, that it was going to be @ Steve's 4 bay shop in Ukiah. If Kerma is going to do the work, I would also like to get a set of nozzles for each of my 2 TDIs so a REAL long drive, like Reno is not logical for me.

ahlcar

Just want to make the shop appear as it is. Not a 4 bay shop like a dealer, but an industrial building with roll up doors that we can have 4 cars inside at once with room to work on them. Let's start with a head count and the number of T/B's to do. Steve

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

It's a 100% chance that I will be there. I will bring all the tools for the timing belts along with the air compressor.

DB

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI

Thanks for the confirmation, Pete. At the present time it's looking like at least 3 belts with Steve, Doyle and I needing changes (Steve, are you changing belts on one or multiple cars?).

Steve, do you want to stick the Yahoo Maps locale for the gtg in this thread somewhere, or is it unable to be mapped like Doyle's place?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

Egads. 780 miles. Too far. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

peter pyce

Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
Egads. 780 miles. Too far. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you come, I will go! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white

kerma
you can get here with one tankful. Bringing some nozzles with you if you are coming?

peter pyce

Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
kerma
you can get here with one tankful. Bringing some nozzles with you if you are coming?

[/ QUOTE ]

No Way in one tank! Not HIM /images/graemlins/grin.gif But a "Change my TB and put my new nozzles GTG" will be sure fun!

ahlcar

The address is 3561 N State st, Ukiah CA 95482. I can't remember my yahoo ID so no map from me but some one else can do it. For directions: on 101 take the Lake Mendocino Dr exit, go east one block, left on N State 1/4 mile, on the right, new industrial buildings unit A, there is a VW banner over the door saying Ahl Motors. Shop phone # 707-468-1019, cell 707-367-0975.

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Just spoke to Pete, he is transiting in SFO for an hour.... He will be coming to stay with us on Friday, here is what we can do (if anyone interested):

1. Have dinner with him on Friday night in the SFBA. I am sure there are people who would like to meet with him, but do not plan on driving to Ukiah....

2. Saturday he can caravan to Ukiah with the SFBA folks.

3. Saturday night (if not too late) we can have dinner somewhere in the SFBA (if the return is in time) and more SFBA folks can join the fun...

4. Sunday we can have breakfast in Los Altos, there is a place Pete likes quiet much by now. Perfect for mini-GTG for local folks if they want/need things to be checked on their car, etc....

Let me know what do you think...

mdt

Veteran Member

Hey Guys,

I'm at ~53K miles, so I'm _almost_ ready for TB change, but not quite.
I'll prolly go to Bugformance in San Jose unless someone convinces me
otherwise.

However, I would like some hand holding with EGR and intake manifold
cleaning as this has never been done on my car. Any chance someone
at the TB GTG can lend me a hand with this?

This'll be sweet despite the lack of firearms!!!

rgds,

Marshall

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Marshall..... Pete has a very special "tool" for intake cleaning, so you do not even need to take the intake out! I am sure he will let you use it /images/graemlins/smile.gif And I am also sure once you see "da tool" - you will figure out how to use it alone, so no help needed! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

If anyone wants/needs Michelin MXV4s~~~some on perfect Avus alloys, some on steel rims, some unused~~~check out my ad in the classfieds. I could bring them to the GTG & you could save on shipping. I have a total of 11 /images/graemlins/eek.gif!!!

ChugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle

Alright, I'm in. I want to install those injectors peter, so please bring both sets along like we discussed. I'll see if my buddy Sam can go as well. See you there!

jolene

peter pyce

Veteran Member

Jolene..... I may not be able to come, but if that is the case, I will give them to Pete as he will be with us the night before and after. Also, IMPORTANT for you, go get two sets of WASHERS for those inejctors from any dealer. It is about 0.85 $ each, so with less than 10$ you are done. Can't recall the part number, but you tell them the washer that goes between the injectors and the head. Would be good to replace those and unfortunatelly I run out of those.....If I really can't make it, I am sure some nice member will install the inejctors for you. If nobody wants, then you come to my place after the GTG, I will put them for you.

TDI J'ta

Veteran Member
TDI
2K1 Blk Jetta GLS 5-spd

Have been MIA...
I'm due for the TB chg now, but can't make a 2/07/04 TB GTG, again. /images/graemlins/mad.gif Wondering how we can get DBW down to SoCal.

peter pyce

Veteran Member

If you are free Friday or Sunday, and not so far from SFBA, perhaps he can drive to your place and change your TB there before or after the GTG? Send him an e-mail, it is serious issue and you do not want to miss on this one...

TDI J'ta

Veteran Member
TDI
2K1 Blk Jetta GLS 5-spd

Thanks Peter! Will do. I'm near the Pasadena area, so that is a ways for DBW to come from SJC, especially to chg only one TB.

TDICa

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black

I'll be there to "get in the way" - d'ooh - I meant help out. Done T-belts on gasser never on diesels.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

For those that want me to do a timing belt email me at: drivbiwire@hotmail.com so that we can work out the scheduling and other details.

I don't want people to show up with the wrong parts or not having all thats needed to do the belt.

FYI, if you are having a timing belt done you will need to bring a complete timing belt kit, Water pump kit with the stretch bolt, 1 gallon of G-12 and 1 gallon of Reverse Osmosis/Distilled water.

Contact me for further details.

DB

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

[ QUOTE ]
For those that want me to do a timing belt email me at: drivbiwire@hotmail.com so that we can work out the scheduling and other details.

I don't want people to show up with the wrong parts or not having all thats needed to do the belt.

FYI, if you are having a timing belt done you will need to bring a complete timing belt kit, Water pump kit with the stretch bolt, 1 gallon of G-12 and 1 gallon of Reverse Osmosis/Distilled water.

Contact me for further details.

DB

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete, your email is bouncing.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI

Doyle, don't worry, I'll shoot you and Steve an email in just a little bit w/ some info you'll need.

In the meantime, as near as I can tell from going through this thread, there are at least three (3) belts to do next Saturday; if you didn't mention somewhere in this thread that you needed a belt change, don't show up next week and expect to have it done.

Pete and I hope to get an early AM jump from the south SFBA so we can get to Steve's place at a decent time to get the work done, so in terms of caravanning, I'd say a 7:30 AM meet at the same Good Guys lot that Peter C. proposed for the PAGTG a couple weeks ago will suffice for anyone that wants to jump in. If you're late, you best have the Mapquest or Yahoo directions to get to Steve's place stated earlier.

See you folks next week. Tick, tock, tick, tock,.....

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

I'm just hoping I have everything I need for a TB change w/o water pump~~~80K TB, tensioner, serpentine belt & an assortment of bolts that I hope are the correct ones.

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white

Norman: are we still going to have a friday night dinner GTG with Pete and sfba group? please post where we meeting if any.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI

[ QUOTE ]
Norman: are we still going to have a friday night dinner GTG with Pete and sfba group? please post where we meeting if any.

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK we are; I don't know that any particular place has been selected, but, since Pete is staying with peter/pyce, I will defer to him to answer your question about where Friday night's mini-gtg will be.