Timing belt change question - freaking out!

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Hi guys,

So I am knee-deep into the timing belt replacement on my 2010 JSW. I followed everything by the book, locked crankshaft at TDC and also locked down the camshaft sprocket. HPFP locking pin wouldn't go in but description and video said to do it after the old belt is off. Old belt came off BUT the little notch on the HPFP sprocket, which was a little off to begin with, moved when I took off the belt and the notch is now a little off to the right of the hole where the pin goes in. I am freaking because I didn't see this coming.

What can I do to properly lock the HPFP into place still? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hi guys,

So I am knee-deep into the timing belt replacement on my 2010 JSW. I followed everything by the book, locked crankshaft at TDC and also locked down the camshaft sprocket. HPFP locking pin wouldn't go in but description and video said to do it after the old belt is off. Old belt came off BUT the little notch on the HPFP sprocket, which was a little off to begin with, moved when I took off the belt and the notch is now a little off to the right of the hole where the pin goes in. I am freaking because I didn't see this coming.

What can I do to properly lock the HPFP into place still? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Just turn it a little and put the pin in. On those with the hpfp its not really precise for the fuel pump, not like an alh or any of the VE pump TDIS.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I'm trying to remember BUT you should be able, with belt off, to just turn the HPFP back or around to get it to match up but it's not IIRC very critical for that sprocket/pin to be 100% precise. Cam and crank, those are 100% better be in the right place though and sounds like you are good there.

Yeah, what @Mozambiquer said. Ha ha

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Just turn it a little and put the pin in. On those with the hpfp its not really precise for the fuel pump, not like an alh or any of the VE pump TDIS.
Thank you for the quick response! Just to confirm, the notch is now off to the right of the hole where the pin goes in. Are you saying I should turn the sprocket CCW (which I gently tried to do by hand but it seems pretty stuck or CW, meaning I'd have to go 340 degrees or so until the notch would align with the hole?

Thanks again guys!

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Thank you for the quick response! Just to confirm, the notch is now off to the right of the hole where the pin goes in. Are you saying I should turn the sprocket CCW (which I gently tried to do by hand but it seems pretty stuck or CW, meaning I'd have to go 340 degrees or so until the notch would align with the hole?

Thanks again guys!
Either way works. You likely will need to put a wrench on it to turn it.

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Alright, I think I got everything back to where it should be. I was able to turn back the HPFP sprocket CCW until the notch was right above the hole and the locking pin went in. Continued on with everything, new belt is on, everything is tightened down to specs and I made the small adjustment to align camshaft locking pin and crankshaft locking tool. All good. Except - after turning over the engine twice the tensioner tab is left of the notch, not centered on it or right. Should I just tighten the tensioner nut more to restore the correct tension and then turn it over again to check timing?

THANKS guys!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Alright, I think I got everything back to where it should be. I was able to turn back the HPFP sprocket CCW until the notch was right above the hole and the locking pin went in. Continued on with everything, new belt is on, everything is tightened down to specs and I made the small adjustment to align camshaft locking pin and crankshaft locking tool. All good. Except - after turning over the engine twice the tensioner tab is left of the notch, not centered on it or right. Should I just tighten the tensioner nut more to restore the correct tension and then turn it over again to check timing?

THANKS guys!
It's not uncommon to have to re-tension. Did you go past it then back up? I've found that works for me.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI

THANKS guys!
The spec say there is a 5mm variance so as long as it's close, you should be ok. No harm in redoing if you want it precise but it should be just fine if the needle is close.

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
The spec say there is a 5mm variance so as long as it's close, you should be ok. No harm in redoing if you want it precise but it should be just fine if the needle is close.
It’s probably within 5 mm, might be off a little more, but to the left of the notch and not to the right. I probably want to re-tension it just in case.
So lock crankshaft, cam and HPFP (if possible), loosen tensioner nut, tighten tensioner until tab is in notch, re-tighten tensioner nut, take locking tools out and turn 2x and recheck? No need to loosen camshaft and HPFP bolts I assume?

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
DivineChaos:

No, I had the tab right in the middle of the notch and counterheld the tensioner with the Allen wrench when I tightened the nut to make sure not to overtighten.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Just leave it like that. It automatically adjusts .

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Update: I finished everything and closed her up, put the passenger wheel back on and started the engine. It started right away. Topped her up with G12 and destilled water and went for a 10 mile-ish test drive, nothing felt funny. I tried to go fast/sporty with high RPM in case that does anything. Made it back home and watched it idle for about 10 minutes with no belly pan on - no drips. I'd like to think that this patient is saved -- safe to assume?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
It’s probably within 5 mm, might be off a little more, but to the left of the notch and not to the right. I probably want to re-tension it just in case.
So lock crankshaft, cam and HPFP (if possible), loosen tensioner nut, tighten tensioner until tab is in notch, re-tighten tensioner nut, take locking tools out and turn 2x and recheck? No need to loosen camshaft and HPFP bolts I assume?
Yep. Sounds about right. Mine is always a lil left of the mark. But safe in the window.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
DivineChaos:

No, I had the tab right in the middle of the notch and counterheld the tensioner with the Allen wrench when I tightened the nut to make sure not to overtighten.
Mine I went past the window just slightly before I locked it down. It was right at the end of the window. Things settle

Mozambiquer

TDI
If you've done 100s of them. Apparently removing the mount isn't slower. As my guru tells me.
Depends on how big your fingers are in my experience...

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Depends on how big your fingers are in my experience...
It is pretty tight down there but I cannot imagine that supporting the engine, removing the mounts etc etc and putting everything back together actually saves time over getting the bolt out with a pair of vise grips. It took me less than 5 minutes to do it and I’m not even a mechanic or remotely trained to work on cars (I’m a lawyer with too much time on my hands).

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
For visualization. You pros out there please let me know if I should tension the belt more or leave it like this.

So I'm going through this now. My tensioner looks IDENTICAL to how yours sits in that picture. What was the solution? Like you, I followed every bit of the instructions with fine detail. My only issue is this damn tensioner arrow moves left after I rotate the engine twice to verify clearance.

Here's mine, looks darn near like a copy of yours.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
So I'm going through this now. My tensioner looks IDENTICAL to how yours sits in that picture. What was the solution? Like you, I followed every bit of the instructions with fine detail. My only issue is this damn tensioner arrow moves left after I rotate the engine twice to verify clearance.

Book says we have a 5mm variance on either side to be within spec. Solution is to tighten the tensioner a touch and retest. That looks pretty close to within spec but I try to be very close to the notch or just to the right.

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI

I believe I tensioned mine a bit more, too.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I rotated engine twice, reset to spec and rotated twice again. Might have reset again, can’t remember. Eventually I could rotate and everything stayed perfect. Key point is that the pins slide in and out without fighting much.