Timing Belt Change in Ottawa

microwave

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
I am interested in anyone’s experiences with having a T-belt changed in Ottawa.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get it done? Any experience with Blastech?

I am pretty capable at doing lots myself, the only thing stopping me from doing the t-belt is the $300 worth of specialty tools (I have a Vag-Com). By the time you add the tools and the parts, you are getting pretty close to the cost of having the job done.

northstar

TDI
Jetta,2000,sliver,5sp
I am due for a TB this spring. I think that I will drive to Quebec City & have "boucanier " from the Quebec forums do the TB. His price is good & he will let me help which should be fun.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I dont do timing belts. Dont have the tools required. I reccomend boucanier 100%

microwave

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
Thanks all for the replies.

Quebec City is a bit far for me to go to get the t-belt changed.

For what it's worth, I called Blastech, Hunt Club VW, and East Motors.

Blastech quoted CDN $800+taxes for t-belt w/water pump. I even talked to the tech who does them. I asked a lot of questions (from info gathered on the forum) and they seem to have the right answers.

Hunt Club VW quoted CDN $1200+tax (ouch!) w/ water pump. I didn't get to talk to a tech, and the service advisor was not very helpful either. I specifically asked about the longer life t-belt and he said that it would not fit on a 2001. He also assured me they never change the stretch bolts because he has never seen them invoiced.

East Motors quoted CDN $750+tax includes water pump and new coolant, cleaning the EGR valve, new idlers and tensioner, new serpentine, AND new bolts. They were very helpful and had all the right answers to my questions.

So it looks like my choice is between Blastech or East Motors.

Any praises or horror stories on either of these independent shops? I live on the east end so East Motors is more convenient for me.

S

sooner

Are you feelin well ,taking your diesel to these dealership butchers,,,,? these great people here gave you an independent who is capable,go for it and spend the night you pussy.
LOL .

snorksca

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, Red
In Ottawa I've heard Advanced Autowerks is very good. No idea of prices. Another spot that is suppose to be very good is Belleville Volkswagon (double check the forums but that's what I remember hearing). For some reason I think I remember they were around $650 but I'm not sure.
Let us know who you use and how it goes.

EMS

Veteran Member
If VeeDub isn't up for it both Advanced Autowerks and Blastech are quite reputable. Both will be MILES better than the dealer in both price and getting the job done right the first time.

microwave

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
I haven't done it yet. I just got the parts from Roseland today.

VeeDubb is coming to my place on March 5th to help me with it.

I ordered a steel skid plate from Diesel Geek as well, and will be putting that on too.

boucanier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 BLUE LAGOON
hummm it was 550 everything includes plus 100 dollars for the night at the hotel with your wife qc worth the trip

microwave

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
Re: Timing Belt Change in Ottawa - UPDATE

With the help of VeeDubb, I got the new belt, new rollers, tensioner, water pump, and serpentine belt installed on Saturday. Car is running great!

I also installed a steel skid plate which went in with no problems. This peice of kit is well made and pretty impressive.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Re: Timing Belt Change in Ottawa - UPDATE

I was at boucaniers in Quebec this weekend. We did 3 timing belts in around 6 hours. That includes all rollers and water pump and two of them required new crank seals. We discussed doing timing belts at my place in Montreal for any locals or Ottawa members. If there is at least 3 cars boucanier is willing to make the trip from Quebec to Montreal. PM me for pricing etc. I will coordinate with boucanier.