Timing Belt Change FAQ?

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
Hi all. My car (Golf mk5 1.9Tdi, engine BKC) is not far off from a timing belt change. I have just past 70K and I think the scheduled recommended change is 80K. I am wondering whether I should do it myself. I have changed the radiator on my old mk4 and done other simple engine tasks so think I would be capable, as long as there was a 'guide for first timers'. I have seen one for the mk4 but can't find one for the mk5 Golf.

Has anyone done a step by step guide yet please?

Thanks!

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I put a post on here awhile back about doing the belt on an A5. It's BRM code here. It's about the same as doing an A4 BEW.:)

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Metal Man said:
I put a post on here awhile back about doing the belt on an A5. It's BRM code here. It's about the same as doing an A4 BEW.:)
Thanks for the info' Metal Man, I will look that up. An actual How-To for the mk5 would be great though, especially for people such as myself that have never ventured into this area before.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The critical parts of the procedure for doing an A5 BRM will be EXACTLY the same as for doing an A4 BEW. And the locking tools will be the same. The differences will be only in which accessories need to be moved out of the way because the BRM has a different layout for all that. But, it will be relatively obvious what you need to get out of the way: if it's in the way, get it out of there!

If anything, the BRM should be easier, because there are no intake pipes and intercooler pipes in the area of the timing belt cover; all that is on the other end of the engine so you don't have to deal with it. You might have to move some stuff to get the tandem pump off the end of the camshaft; not sure about that. It'll be obvious when starting the procedure what needs to move.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Easier than the mk4 sounds promising :) Any idea what the differences are between my uk spec BKC engine and your BRM? What would you consider the greatest problem in changing the timing belt, would it be the moving of the engine mount to allow the belt to slide in, or something else?

I think I will wait for a how-to on the mk5 before I even contemplate doing the change myself, otherwise it's bound to end in tears :eek:

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
mtbr297 said:
BRM & BEW have different crank locks.
I was thinking between the BKC and BRM. Maybe they take the same crank locks. Thanks for your reply.

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
ukguy said:
Easier than the mk4 sounds promising :) Any idea what the differences are between my uk spec BKC engine and your BRM? What would you consider the greatest problem in changing the timing belt, would it be the moving of the engine mount to allow the belt to slide in, or something else?

I think I will wait for a how-to on the mk5 before I even contemplate doing the change myself, otherwise it's bound to end in tears :eek:
Post a picture of the BKC engine on the timing belt side. I may be able to tell if there is any difference. My guess is the BKC engine has higher horse power and different emissions. I have done a couple BRM engine timing belts already. No need to remove the motor mount to take off the timing belt off but, you have to remove the motor mount to take off the tensioner, unless you removed the stud for the tensioner, but that would probably a lot of trouble. I may look into that on my next BRM engine timing belt change.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply. I don't have an actual picture of the timing belt area but I have a picture of the whole engine bay if that helps. It might be a bit difficult to get a decent pic of the timing belt area with all those pipes!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
For what you need to do, it looks the same as my BRM does. You've got the old fashioned vacuum actuated EGR system instead of the BRM's fancy electric servo operated EGR, and I have a funny feeling that the turbo is a different version that is in a different orientation on the back of the engine because the plastic pipe from the air filter goes to a different place - but none of that has anything to do with the task at hand.

Correction to one thing I said before; now that you post the picture, I remember that you will have to get the one intake pipe out of the way to get the timing belt cover off, but it's easy (2 clamps). If you have to disconnect any of the smaller hoses to get room to work, tag them before removal so you don't mix them up.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
GoFaster said:
Correction to one thing I said before; now that you post the picture, I remember that you will have to get the one intake pipe out of the way to get the timing belt cover off, but it's easy (2 clamps). If you have to disconnect any of the smaller hoses to get room to work, tag them before removal so you don't mix them up.
Thanks for the reply GoFaster. Even I can get the intake pipe off without too much effort :) It's just the rest of it I need to get my head round...

On a sidenote, I did the injection timing on my old mk4 (non PD) and had to adjust bolts for injection timing (looking at a graph on vagcom as I did it). I understand that the PD engines don't need any sort of manual adjustment once the belt is fitted, which should save some time?

Thanks again.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
BRM & BEW have different crank locks.
While that is true, the only difference is the mark to line up with the mark on the crank gear is in a different spot. The mark on the tool for the BRM should be on the second tooth from the right. It's easy to figure out with the cam pin in place.

Crosley

TDI
Sold
OK....... so the tools for a BRM engine are slightly different?

I will need the procedure and tools by may or June of 2008. My 06 Jetta should be near 80k miles on it by then.